Starting Full Metabolism Reset Today

Options
calund06
calund06 Posts: 21 Member
This is really scary. For the past year I have been eating at calorie goal and exercise so would be on track for gradual half pound per week weight lose---unfortunately I have actually gained a few pounds. I finally came back to EMWL blog and read some other books and determined that I definitely need to reset my metabolism.

Almost three years ago I went on diet which i was determined would be my last one. it took me almost a year and I lost over 93 pounds. I maintained my weight at 155 (which was actually 3 lbs below my goal weight) for over a year and then I started gradually gaining a little weight. I didn't want to be on severe calorie deficit diet so I continued with MFP and set my goal lose half pound per week. I weigh and measure all of my food and while I do exceed my calories from time to time it is a rare occurrence but my weight doesn't come down. I am now 14 lbs above my prior maintenance weight and finally realize that I need to suck it up and do the metabolism reset recognizing that I am going to see some increasing numbers on the scale but I have to focus on the long term result/goal.

I am 59 year old female; 5'5" tall
Exercise 3-5 times per week (typically 10 mile bike rides or 1hr cycle class 2-3 times per week; HIIT 24 min 1-2 times per week)
My BMR is 1421
TDEE is 2203 at moderate or 1954 at light

Based on everything I have been reading and my own physical indications I believe that I need to do the full metabolism reset. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions from those of you who have done this previously or who are currently on the reset road.

Should I reset my goals on MFP TO use the TDEE at the light actively level?

Thanks for any suggestions and support

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The MFP activity level is meaningless when you enter your own TDEE or TDEE with Deficit goal down the road. As is the weight loss goal. Those 2 will affect MFP's math on loss amounts, but if you enter an eating goal that includes exercise, and MFP never expects exercise to be there already - the math is always going to be off anyway.

MFP activity levels are NOT TDEE either, their are non-exercise maintenance. They would only be TDEE if you actually did NO exercise.
    That's why MFP method you exercise, you increased your maintenance for the day, you log it, you eat more. Same deficit in place.

If you only had a very reasonable 1/2 lb weight loss goal, then I gotta tell you, you were likely eating over maintenance, or TDEE.

And I doubt you were stressing your system with a mere 250 calorie deficit.

The only way that would be stressful to your system is if you did NOT eat back your exercise calories, and you exercised a lot, actually creating a really big deficit overall.

If you were eating back exercise calories correctly, then likely you over-estimated that burn and were eating back too much, or your logging isn't as accurate as you think.
    It would be easy to wipe out a small 250 cal deficit with a combo of those things.

So your routine was pretty good.
    Did you eat back exercise calories during the time you gained weight?

What does it look like you really ate in total over that time on average, not net if you did, but gross?

It all hinges on that exercise eatback.

If you did, I'm going to suggest you've been resetting and eating in surplus for awhile now. No need for it now.
    If you did not, you created a much bigger deficit than 250 and reset may indeed be useful.
  • calund06
    Options
    Thank you for your response. To provide a bit more info:

For almost a year while I was on weight lose program I was eating at deficit ( I wasn't counting calories but am sure it was below 1000 per day) and started doing some exercise . After I reached my goal, went through stabilization and slowing increased my calories and then started maintenance at 1370 calories per day. I was exercising more and quickly found that 1370 wasn't enough calories as I would feel very sick and fatigued after exercise so I increased my calories to 1690 (started using MFP and set based on sedentary and maintain weight). I would eat back some of my calories sometimes but not always just depended on how I felt. I bought. HRM and used that for determining calories burned during exercise and continued to weigh and measure my food and enter everything that went in my mouth. about a year ago I had a weight gain during the holidays and thought at first was because I had a few days of over indulging on food and wasn't exercising enough but even after I got back to my routine (which was immediately after Christmas) I have not been able to drop the weight----weight would go down a little and then bounce back up. About 12 ago I decided to adjust my plan on MFP TO DROP half pound per week and that resulted in me changing my calorie goal to 1460. I eat back exercise calories when necessary to have my net calories be at least equal to my BMR which was about 1360 at that time. I continue to wear my heart rate monitor to accurately measure calories burned, I continue to weigh and measure all my food. We continue to cook at home, seldom dine out and we eat very little processed foods (this has been case for over 3 years), yet I continue to have little weight gains. Now almost 2 years after reaching my goal weight I am up 14 pounds.

I know that was a rather long recap of my food calories and exercise calories info but hope it gives you a bit more to go on.

Reset metabolism or what other option?????
  • heybales
    Options
    So you already experienced the fact you could eat 1370, not gain or lose.

Then eat 1690, not gain or lose - thus proving 1370 wasn't true maintenance.

So it's up in the air if 1690 was true maintenance, or just as suppressed as 1370 was.

Is non-exercise activity for 40 hr work week indeed sedentary?

Regardless, you had deficit from exercise and not always eating back some or any calories.
    Except no change in weight, so not a real deficit, so the 1690 wasn't true maintenance then.

And for 12 days 250 cal deficit plus some from exercise, at least down to BMR. Which is what your body would like to burn if you just slept all day - except you don't.

One comment, be aware unless you have tested VO2max and HRmax stats to put in to HRM, it's not accurate for calorie burns. Could be, could very much not be - don't know.

Except you've had enough of a deficit in place, you are no longer burning for maintenance, what you used to.

That's call metabolic adaptation. The body has responded to steeper than desired deficit by slowing you down likely, and making you more efficient.
    Meaning you no longer burn what you used to, or could be, in daily life.

And any moments of binge, splurge, big meal or day, ect, is all surplus, not a raise to the metabolism. So slowly increasing fat likely, though some of it is probably carbs too if you see big increases that slowly drop off.

So yes, reset would be useful. Perhaps not as long since your deficit wasn't as severe, though it was lengthy.

Last exercise break at Christmas too? What are the workouts and frequency?
    Exercise break might be in order too as you increase.

Figure out your TDEE for walking only during normal workouts.
    Eat that TDEE while you indeed only walk.
    Then go back to normal workout routine and figure TDEE for that, and increase calories another 100 daily for that week.
    Then again week after, another 100.
    Keep increasing until you hit estimated TDEE for your routine. 2 weeks there and confirm no weight gain.
    Valid weigh-in days, morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

Then spend 2 more weeks as test, eating 250 more daily yet again.
    If truly eating at TDEE, you would gain 1 lb slowly over that 2 weeks, confirming prior level. Then take 15% deficit off prior eating level.
    If faster or more gain, water weight and it wasn't TDEE.
    If no gain, then wasn't TDEE either.
    Test with 250 more again.
  • calund06
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I saw that you had posted a spreadsheet on separte post, is that the best way to calculate TDEE?

I have a Polar FT40 and have taken the fitness test so it is set to give me lots of stats during workout. I have always felt that the calories burned were prtty accurate but perhaps not. I do think it is probably time for me to do the fitness test again as it has been over a year.

I will go back and read more about your spreadsheet and how to use it. In the meantime, I will reset my calories goals again based on number my BMR as I have gained 7 lbs in the last 3 dys of eating at what I thought was my TDEE based on Fat2Fit calculator. (1954). I think your suggested more moderate approach to upping calories and finding true TDEE sounds better and hopefully little more controlled as far as weight gain.

Thanks again,
  • heybales
    Options
    I think the spreadsheet is best, as it takes into account the time spend doing different levels of exercise. And those levels mainly based on comparing to walking level, so easy compare for most.

When you think about it, it's obvious 1 hr of walking doesn't burn the same as 1 hr of running as 1 hr of lifting. Start throwing different times in there too, then you see how rough "3-5 hrs of exercise a week" really is rough. And though you can do that and then base results after a month to get new TDEE figure, I figure why not start at best estimate if possible.

Would someone walking 1 hr daily really be Very Active or more? No.

Confirm you have correct weight and age prior to HRM self-test. Also selection of athlete profile in stats. And see what maxHR you've ever seen in a workout, and confirm your HRmax stat is at least 5 above that if you recall it being a hard effort worthy of being called max.

Just stay on Simple Setup tab, and Progress tab, and be honest with Activity Calc you have more than 45 hr sedentary desk job you are active at.
  • briniepoo
    briniepoo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Heya, sorry to highjack your post. I dont know if I need to necessarily reset my meta, but just in case I would like to know how much I burn just doing my work at school (teacher), I want to confirm the method.

So to get it straight:
    I do my everyday normal stuff (not extra gym stuff).
    I eat my BMR for 2 weeks, see if theres a weight gain.
    If no weight gain, eat 100 calories more for 2 more weeks and go on and on like that.
    Once weight gain in happening, thats the Non gym TDEE of my Normal day (no extra gym stuff).

Then introduce gym stuff:
    If I burn 100 cals at the gym at one time, add extra 100 ontop of Non gym TDEE. Try for 2 weeks, no gain, add extra 100 doing same work out for another 2 weeks etc.
    Keep going till gain is seen. Once weight goes up, thats the +Gym TDEE. -10/15/20 etc % for deficit.

Wow, long process, but its a must.

Have I cracked it?
  • heybales
    Options
    Heya, sorry to highjack your post. I dont know if I need to necessarily reset my meta, but just in case I would like to know how much I burn just doing my work at school (teacher), I want to confirm the method.

So to get it straight:
    I do my everyday normal stuff (not extra gym stuff).
    I eat my BMR for 2 weeks, see if theres a weight gain.
    If no weight gain, eat 100 calories more for 2 more weeks and go on and on like that.
    Once weight gain in happening, thats the Non gym TDEE of my Normal day (no extra gym stuff).

Then introduce gym stuff:
    If I burn 100 cals at the gym at one time, add extra 100 ontop of Non gym TDEE. Try for 2 weeks, no gain, add extra 100 doing same work out for another 2 weeks etc.
    Keep going till gain is seen. Once weight goes up, thats the +Gym TDEE. -10/15/20 etc % for deficit.

Wow, long process, but its a must.

Have I cracked it?

Wow - never heard that method anywhere.