Any Runners on Atkins?

Options
I just started Atkins on Tuesday, February 18th. I have a 5 mile run on Saturday, March 1st. I'll still be in the induction phase but am wondering if I should eat some carbs before my run. Or should I just eat a light, no carb breakfast? I'm thinking a banana or some peanuts, but don't want to mess up my progress.

If there are any runners in this group, what do you typically eat before a run?

Replies

• irish606
    irish606 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I attempted to run during Induction and I found it darn near impossible to do so. I did a significant amount of research even buying the low carb, exercise bible, "The Art and Science of Low Carb. Performance" hoping it would spell out how to get my body transitioned to burning fat for energy rather than carbs efficiently, with no success. All the research I found stated your body has to get used to burning fat for energy, but I attempted this effort for a month with no success.

Some swear they can exercise/run on low carb but I was unable to do so. I am now experimenting with maintaining low carb diet and introducing fruit and a little complex carbs before runs and that has helped tremendously. I ran 7 miles last Sunday and it felt fantastic!!

I have lost darn near 18 mounds since I began this low carb adventure in the beginning of January so I am very pleased with my results. However, running has always been very important to me and vital to my emotional well-being as much as benefitting my health. I ran two half marathons last year at 215 #'s and that was very hard on my body. I want to get down to 190 because I am training for a marathon in June and believe the loss of weight will be easier on my back and joints.

As far as your run in a couple of weeks, you'll be able to see how your body reacts to the low carb and exercise in the next couple of days. Try going for a run Monday and be mindful of how you feel. If you have plenty of energy, you know you can run doing low carb. If it feels like you're swimming in molasses, you may rethink how you approach your 5 mile run. Doing a 5 mile run during Induction may not be in your best interest as you have to give your body time to adjust to burning fat for energy rather than carbs. Perhaps finding another run at the beginning of April when you have moved up the carb ladder?

I can't stress this enough, however: everyone is different and reacts differently to low carb . . . anyone who tells you your experience should be just like theirs doesn't know what they are talking about . . . Pay attention to your body.

Be well and happy running!
  • jamm2000
    Options
    Thanks for that very thorough reply. I've actually already registered for the 5 miler on March 1st and a 15K on March 15. No turning back now! I have been walking daily this week and yesterday went for a 3 mile walk / run. It wasn't awful but certainly not my usual. I'll probably attempt to run again tomorrow morning. I think I'm going to have a carb heavy dinner the night before the runs and a banana the morning of. I'll just have to jump right back on program after the run. Thanks again for your input. It was very helpful.
  • logans_mom03
    Options
    I am a runner and talked to my dr about this. She stated that since you burn the carbs so fast when you are running it should not hinder your weightloss process. I ususally eat some peanut butter, use the goo packets and drink gatorade at the water stations and I am fine. I still lose weight on the weeks that I do my runs. Hope this helps, and I hope that you are able to lose while doing your running still like I have.
  • jamm2000
    jamm2000 Posts: 79
    Options
    Great info! Thanks.
  • jamm2000
    jamm2000 Posts: 79
    Options
    FYI: I decided not to have any carbs for dinner, but I ate a bagel before the race and a banana afterwards. I think I made a good choice because my run was pretty good, much better than expected. It wasn't my best, but I wasn't running for time like I usually do.