Any Ladies lifting in here?

Options
MissB46
MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
I have been on MFP for a while now and discovered the UK forum not long ago.

I am wondering if there are any likeminded ladies in here that go to the gym to lift rather than pounding the treadmill?

I am currently on the SL 5x5 programme (beginners) and on week 3, I go to the gym at 6am in the morning and I appear to be the only woman in the weightroom?

So week three looks like this:

Squats 42.5kg
Bench Press 30kg
Barbell Rows 30kg
Overhead Press 30kg
Deadlifts 42.5kg (I keep them same as squats as I only muddle the weight up otherwise)

I used to do a lot of bodypump but the classes just get a bit crazy for me so I knocked that on the head...

I do do cardio but I prefer to do interval training i.e. HIIT or Tabata. I get a lot of my workout ideas from youtube....and I loooove Kettlebells - they are just the best thing ever! I do two kettlebell classes a week

Other than that, I get a bit bored with treadmills, even though I will run on them (I can only manage 25 minutes - I prefer running outside if anything) I avoid stationary cycles (not sure what the obsession with spinning is, personally never appealed to me) and crosstrainers, don't mind the rower that much but I just find it tedious.

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    hey there I love lifting, you might want to check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women UK and American women busting out the heavy weights :drinker:

I started out with 5x5 a couple of years ago great beginner programme
  • MissB46
    Options
    hey there I love lifting, you might want to check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women UK and American women busting out the heavy weights :drinker:

Thanks for that - already in the group :smile:
  • EmmaR25
    EmmaR25 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I really really want to start lifting. I guess i feel intimidated by the prospect. I have NROLFW as a starting point
    I guess I need to suck it up and just DO IT!
  • girlie100
    Options

Thanks for that - already in the group :smile:

:bigsmile:
  • girlie100
    Options
    I really really want to start lifting. I guess i feel intimidated by the prospect. I have NROLFW as a starting point
    I guess I need to suck it up and just DO IT!

NROLFW is a good place to start, also Sronglifts 5x5 as its less in depth to NR.
  • MissB46
    Options
    I have been lifting weigths for a while, however in the past my training was a bit 'aimless' and that's why I started 5x5, going back to basics with compound lifts - I just can't get over the fact that there are soo many women that train but they have never said foot in a weight-room - Ladies - You don't know what you are missing!!! :wink:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have been faffing about for a few months and started New Rules very recently.

I do feel a bit intimidated being a female chubber in the weights section, but I have suprised myself about how much I can already lift (as directed by the book, not starting with 5 kg as I was before...)

I was geting really fed up with the treadmill and cross trainer and staring at a blank wall for the whole session, it's made it a lot more interesting.
  • MissB46
    Options
    I sort of lose myself in the workout and don't really notice anyone else. I really wouldn't mind a female workout buddy though but I guess for now OH will have to do
  • JCLondonUK
    Options
    I'm in the UK, and going for my first free weights lesson next week. Can't wait! (Although I am a bit nervous about being the only woman in that section of the gym.) I've booked a session with a personal trainer to help me get started, and help me get over my nerves. :smile:
  • MissB46
    Options
    I have been faffing about for a few months and started New Rules very recently.

I do feel a bit intimidated being a female chubber in the weights section, but I have suprised myself about how much I can already lift (as directed by the book, not starting with 5 kg as I was before...)

I was geting really fed up with the treadmill and cross trainer and staring at a blank wall for the whole session, it's made it a lot more interesting.

I'm in the UK, and going for my first free weights lesson next week. Can't wait! (Although I am a bit nervous about being the only woman in that section of the gym.) I've booked a session with a personal trainer to help me get started, and help me get over my nerves. smile

I don' think there is any need to feel intimidated, a lot of guys are impressed by women that strength train and most of them are quite friendly (apart from the odd grumpy one - I have one in my gym) and it can be quite entertaining (am I bad for saying this?:devil: ) as a lot of the guys I see train use really, really bad form and grunt a lot - I even had a guy come up to me the other day and he apologized for not putting his weights away....none of them do anyway so I am quite used to it

At the end of the day you have just as much right to be there....and there are actually guys doing 'zumba' - I have seen it...honestly!
  • Trundlegate
    Trundlegate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I really want to start lifting. I have ordered New rules for Women book. I have 4 weeks of my current swim only membership to run and then I am very tempted to upgrade to gym/swim and use the gym solely for weights. I do cardio (swimming, walking and jogging)
    Just very nervous about doing it wrong and going into the weights section (daft I know!!) but I am a fat lady, but I know it is what I need and determined in the next 4 weeks to read the book (when it comes) and watch lots of youtube videos so i at least can avoid looking completely ignorant and the appearance issue is just tough, I will do it as I want to do it.

Just ask me again in 4 weeks if I have upgraded my membership?!!
  • girlie100
    Options
    1st off every woman should lift weights just to save you from osteoporosis when your older :bigsmile:

Don't be intimidated by the free weights or the guys in there first off you pay the same membership as them so its your free weight area as well. Also 99.9% of the guys in there will be friendly and helpful and have no issue with you being there (occasionally you will come across a douche but you just ignore them :bigsmile: )

Youtube will become your go to for exercise demonstration and if you are not sure you are doing it right video yourself on your phone to compare or post you video on the forum for advice on form corrections.

Everyone starts somewhere, hell 18 months ago powerlifting never occurred to me, but turns out I'm pretty strong and quite good at it :drinker:
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yeah females - do not get put off by males (although i'm usually very passive)... :laugh:
  • KHattley
    KHattley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi. I don't lift as such but I do love kettlebells! I go to classes twice a week and try to do at least one home workout a week too. I've even managed to get my other half into it too - I've never enjoyed exercise so much! :)
  • MissB46
    Options
    Hi. I don't lift as such but I do love kettlebells! I go to classes twice a week and try to do at least one home workout a week too. I've even managed to get my other half into it too - I've never enjoyed exercise so much! :)

Kettlebells and 'Les Mills Grit' are the only two classes I still do at the gym on a regular basis, I have been working with kettlebells for over 2 years now and I find the workouts still very challenging (if you up your weight that is - I still see a lot of ladies in the the same class that have not moved up from a 4kg kettlebell - I keep thinking of hiding them :smile: ) our instructor is himself very passionate about kettlebells and runs a kettlebell club outside the gym, he is very knowledgeable.

Even though the class is kept simple, they are simple moves that are very challenging .... I have been working with a 16kg for some time now and since discovering liquid chalk the other day I am hoping to move to 18kg in the very near future (it was amazing how much more control I had on the bell with chalk on my hands), which will mean buying my own bell..... but I think 20kg is a too bigger jump at the moment, swings, squats and such like are no problem but there is no way could I push press 20kg overhead (yet....:happy: )
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Chalk sounds a great idea! The kettlebell slides and flips about because I'm so sweaty and gross...
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym purely for the free weights section. I run outside so I don't need the treadmills so couldn't justify the cost for that alone.

I'm on Stage 5 of NROLFW. Been doing it since November and completely attribute my relatively flat tummy to weights! I haven't lost masses of weight since I started but I have lost inches and dropped a pant size (almost 2 sizes)

I do try to get their at a quiet time, not because I'm intimidated about being the only girl in the weight section (at least not anymore) but if you get there at a busy time or right after a busy time, its impossible to find anything - people just dump dumbbells and plates where they feel like it after they use them - irritates me no end!!!!
  • MissB46
    Options
    I joined the gym purely for the free weights section. I run outside so I don't need the treadmills so couldn't justify the cost for that alone.

I'm on Stage 5 of NROLFW. Been doing it since November and completely attribute my relatively flat tummy to weights! I haven't lost masses of weight since I started but I have lost inches and dropped a pant size (almost 2 sizes)

I do try to get their at a quiet time, not because I'm intimidated about being the only girl in the weight section (at least not anymore) but if you get there at a busy time or right after a busy time, its impossible to find anything - people just dump dumbbells and plates where they feel like it after they use them - irritates me no end!!!!

Tell me about it..... and it's always men that never put their weights away!!! I go to train at 6am on lifting days so when I get there some mornings the weightroom looks like they had some monkeys in there through the night who threw all the weights all over the place.

To get back to weight-training, I think that since doing some 'serious' lifting my confidence has totally soared!!! Improved posture....the lot...

Ladies, get in the weightroom and kick some *kitten*!!!!

:happy:
  • Newbeginnings46
    Newbeginnings46 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started lifting last year but it's only recently I've become focused. Got a personal training to teach my correct form for squats. Still working on depth on squats - very tight gluteus from years of inactivity. I think being focused and having a goal has definitely helped me in the weight section of the gym. I found it quite intimidating at first and felt very self conscious. Silly things would go through my mind such as am I lying on this bench correctly or am I upside down. Now I go in a do my session and enjoy it.