March Whole 30....a little different

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
If you're Catholic, Lent starts on March 5 (if you're not, no worries, I had to look it up, myself :laugh: ). Catholic or not, though, I thought we could do March a little different when it comes to Whole 30 type stuff.

For those who may not be familiar with Lent, it's traditionally a time in the weeks leading up to Easter to prepare spiritually for the holiday. One of the things that is often done to prepare is by giving up certain luxuries (as a form of penitence).

You don't have to be Catholic, or any kind of Christian, though, to join me in this month's challenge. It is, however, in the spirit of this part of Lent (giving up something, breaking old habits) that I bring for March, to anyone who wants to participate:

Give up something.

You know that dairy has been holding back your weight loss, or the increased level of carbs that you're at has been triggering you to binge. Maybe something that was previously a less-than-once-a-month treat has somehow worked its way into being a daily or near-daily thing.

Whatever it is, give it up for the month of March. Whether you do it in the context of a Whole 30 (or Lent) is up to you. What's important is finding that thing that's causing you problems (or you suspect is causing you problems), and drop it.

I'll start -- I'd like to drop dairy and added sugar. I plan on trying to do it in the context of a Whole 30 primarily to provide the structure that I think will help me succeed. I'm less concerned with following the entire Whole 30 strictly, but it would likely follow suit, since most of the times I've conceded to corn or rice, it's in the company of dairy, and most of the added sugar that I've been eating has been stuff I shouldn't be eating, anyway, so kicking that back out is an added bonus.

I'm doing this because I recently found out that I have what my chiro suspects is the precursor/early stage of arthritis in my hips. At 26, this shouldn't be happening, but even if he's wrong, something is happening in my hips, that's not muscular, that causes quite a bit of pain. So, March will be the month I find out whether or not dairy is the culprit.

Replies

• Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I'm going to try titrate myself off my anti-depressants. I've taken them for years & I feel I no longer need them. Last month I gave of artificial sweeteners :) Hope you figure out whats the cause of your hip problems.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am in too. I need to get back on track. This last week hasn't been great and I am in a lot of pain again. I have fibromyalgia (a condition that causes chronic pain in the joints and muscles) and this is the reason I tried paleo in the first place because i had chronic neck and back pain. Been off paleo about 8 days and my back is really painful again. This is the wake up call I needed. I will be honest I was considering giving up on paleo all together (craving muesli and natural yoghurt)) but for my health I can't. I can't spend my life in this amount of pain and I refuse to go back on the amytriptiline and pregaberlin the doc prescribed not worth the side effects.
    My kids go to C of E school and every year they are encouraged to give up something for lent so there is always much discussion in our house. They never follow up for the full 40 days but I do.
    Are we starting a group or just posting on here.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I am in,although I started an early lent fast of chocolate with my 7 year old about 3 weeks ago.
    I am not planning to return to chocolate but he is breaking the fast at Easter.
    My main issue is sugar but chocolate is always the thing that takes me to that very bad place.
    Looking forward to having even more accountability over lent.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am totally down but need to ponder what I will be giving up for it. I logically know sugar and booze are the ideal candidates so probably one of those. I have really felt amazing this past month not having either so maybe both. I'll get back to ya :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I will be doing something too. I'm still pondering what. My last Whole30 led into the problems I'm having now so I don't think I want to go there again…. maybe something just as strict but with a glass of wine thrown in here and there (don't have any now but will be shipping some in).

The carbs are always the demon I need to slay. I get lots of advice on how I don't have to limit the good ones blah blah blah, but the carbs DO cause me problems, too many "healthy" ones lead into eating too many "bad" ones…. Trust me, I really wish I could eat all the starchy veggies and fruits, but I just can't for now.

PS. My joint pain will start coming back if I eat too many nightshades. So just one of many things to explore/consider.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! 40 days of Whole30 in conjunction with Lent (but not FOR Lent). I'm in. It'll see me through my marathon on April 13th, so that'll work well. :)

Fendi_Doll, I've been there before. The withdrawal symptoms for some of those drugs are horrible and last for what feels like forever. I took Lexapro and dealt with withdrawal symptoms for well over a year. I got "brain zaps". They were less than pleasant and I hope you don't have the same experience I did. Good luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I am in too. I need to get back on track. This last week hasn't been great and I am in a lot of pain again. I have fibromyalgia (a condition that causes chronic pain in the joints and muscles) and this is the reason I tried paleo in the first place because i had chronic neck and back pain. Been off paleo about 8 days and my back is really painful again. This is the wake up call I needed. I will be honest I was considering giving up on paleo all together (craving muesli and natural yoghurt)) but for my health I can't. I can't spend my life in this amount of pain and I refuse to go back on the amytriptiline and pregaberlin the doc prescribed not worth the side effects.
    My kids go to C of E school and every year they are encouraged to give up something for lent so there is always much discussion in our house. They never follow up for the full 40 days but I do.
    Are we starting a group or just posting on here.

I figured just posting here would be fine. I never quite got the purpose of creating a group that would only last a month by design.
    PS. My joint pain will start coming back if I eat too many nightshades. So just one of many things to explore/consider.

I tossed around the idea of dropping nightshades, too, but my favorite produce are almost all nightshades (namely, tomatoes and peppers), so I figured I'd go with one thing at a time. It's easier for me to drop dairy, as I don't generally use it for cooking (and anywhere I do, I can replace it with something else), and I can easily swap out butter for clarified butter/ghee in pretty much anything. The hard part for that will be "cravings," since I enjoy milk and dairy products.

Dropping nightshades is a bit more difficult, since that would also require changing up a lot of dinners that my husband eats, too (we do quite a bit with tomato sauce bases). Doing both at once is a little too daunting (and the idea of having to give up tomatoes and peppers in the name of health is still kind of hard to wrap my head around), so I figured I'd do one at a time, and if I'm still in pain come April, I'll try dropping nightshades. That way, at least during March, I can still have some of my old (nightshade) staples to fall back on while I get used to not having dairy.
  • Janet72285
    Janet72285 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Paleo newbie here.
    Been tinkering with paleo since the new year and I think I'm ready for my first whole 30.
    I will be giving up caffeine. I've had an ongoing battle with this one. Never kicked it for more than a week or two before relapsing.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Thank you this is what I needed.

I have to do this before I completely slip off the edge with added sugar and things I shouldn't be eating.
    Stress has been my problem this month and I hope to get that under control in March.

I was going to clean my kitchen out this weekend since I'm going to the city where the "real" grocery store is to stock up on healthy things so this will work out well.

:happy:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

I tossed around the idea of dropping nightshades, too, but my favorite produce are almost all nightshades (namely, tomatoes and peppers), so I figured I'd go with one thing at a time. It's easier for me to drop dairy, as I don't generally use it for cooking (and anywhere I do, I can replace it with something else), and I can easily swap out butter for clarified butter/ghee in pretty much anything. The hard part for that will be "cravings," since I enjoy milk and dairy products.

Dropping nightshades is a bit more difficult, since that would also require changing up a lot of dinners that my husband eats, too (we do quite a bit with tomato sauce bases). Doing both at once is a little too daunting (and the idea of having to give up tomatoes and peppers in the name of health is still kind of hard to wrap my head around), so I figured I'd do one at a time, and if I'm still in pain come April, I'll try dropping nightshades. That way, at least during March, I can still have some of my old (nightshade) staples to fall back on while I get used to not having dairy.
    [/quote]

^ above is quoted...

Nightshades are pretty important to me too. I use tomatoes and peppers almost everywhere and also nightshade spices. I didn't actually plan to quit them, I just woke up one day with no pain, was amazed beyond belief, and checked my food diary. Strangely, for two weeks I hadn't eaten any tomatoes or peppers. It was the only factor that explains it. I was still having dairy.

From then on, I resumed eating nightshades but much smaller portions and only a few times per week. So, for me, I didn't have to give them up forever and I just have to pay attention. I think it's worth it to be pain free. It's amazing that I can do squats, many of them, over the age of 40 when all of my life, including childhood, I had nothing but pain and suffering (my knees mostly).

For me dairy is the phlegm, sinus, minor intestinal upset culprit but doesn't seem to cause the joint pain. I've been completely free of joint pain since late November 2012. It's the most awesome thing ever. (My knees were BAD- the doctors called it a "cartilage disease" because the cartilage broke off in pieces, then my knees filled with water, and even when that wasn't happening they were ALWAYS painful, all of my life.)
  • annoel
    annoel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this. For me it will be wine and martinis. It's been a daily habit with calories that I did log, but I feel I need a break. Started one three days ago, and I swear my back, shoulders feel better already. So this will be a good experiment/experience.
    Like others, maybe I'll consider nightshades, and dark chocolate.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think chocolate is a nightshade, isn't it? I thought it was in the same family somehow.

Dairy for me causes all the minor respiratory issues: congestion, sneezing, coughing, chronic throat clearing, blah blah blah, plus itchy scalp, eczema and acne.

I know I need to give it up for good. It's just so danged hard to keep it away forever. I wonder if there's a convenient way to share recipes (so that we can post them and they're easily searchable). Thoughts? I'd be interested in sharing recipes with everyone - especially those who say dairy isn't used in a many of their meals, as our family is the exact opposite.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I think chocolate is a nightshade, isn't it? I thought it was in the same family somehow.

Dairy for me causes all the minor respiratory issues: congestion, sneezing, coughing, chronic throat clearing, blah blah blah, plus itchy scalp, eczema and acne.

I know I need to give it up for good. It's just so danged hard to keep it away forever. I wonder if there's a convenient way to share recipes (so that we can post them and they're easily searchable). Thoughts? I'd be interested in sharing recipes with everyone - especially those who say dairy isn't used in a many of their meals, as our family is the exact opposite.

Whenever I go dairy free I just hit my big collection of Paleo recipe books. The Primal ones have a bit of dairy, but not every recipe. I struggle with dairy too; I just plain love it. It causes similar issues for me and impedes weight loss big time. Thanks to two Whole30s I have been able to learn that food can also taste absolutely wonderful without dairy (specifically cheese)... but of course everything I eat is high fat. I will never be a low fat Paleo person. Ever.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options

Chocolate is cross reactive with gluten
    Here is a list of other foods that cross react with gluten
    http://www.dramymyers.com/2013/03/04/are-you-not-healing-because-your-body-thinks-coffee-chocolate-cheese-are-gluten/
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Oh no :/ what kind of withdrawals? Mood swings?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Chocolate is cross reactive with gluten
    Here is a list of other foods that cross react with gluten
    http://www.dramymyers.com/2013/03/04/are-you-not-healing-because-your-body-thinks-coffee-chocolate-cheese-are-gluten/

The cacao plant is not a nightshade, but rather a relative of okra, cotton, and hibiscus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobroma_cacao
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae

Also, I wonder about chocolate's cross-reactivity. Is it really cocoa that's the problem, or the milk used to make most chocolates? PaleoMom's article suggest that it's the milk in candy chocolate - http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/03/gluten-cross-reactivity-update-how-your-body-can-still-think-youre-eating-gluten-even-after-giving-it-up.html Jane's Healthy Kitchen seems to suggest this, as well, and mentions pure cacao as an alternative - http://janeshealthykitchen.com/10-gluten-cross-reactive-foods-to-avoid/#.Uw-ZVfRdXSe
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

I can't speak for Lexapro, but I was on Celexa for a while and the biggest withdrawal issue I had with that was dizzy spells/vertigo. I had to take a couple of days off of work, because I worked in a multi-story building at the time and didn't feel safe on either the stairs or the elevator. Didn't help I had to go cold turkey with it (the doctor that prescribed it had dropped off the face of the earth and I didn't know that until I was almost out of pills, and finding a new one that would prescribe them would take until after I was off of them anyway, so I didn't bother trying to get a new prescription unless I actually still needed it).
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Don't go cold turkey....ween yourself off of you antidepressant by decreasing the dose (talk to your doctor about the right dose and how long before each decrease). Don't forget you might feel good cos you're on them in the first place...and the withdrawals are no picnic.

And I'm in!!! My sugar demon is back so no added sugar for me!!!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it in Feb, although not religiously (no pun intended :laugh: ) I don't eat dairy (yuk) or drink coffee, so the food during Whole30 hasn't been a major issue. My main issue is that i'm LAZY, I don't exercise at all! My goal this time around is a commitment to moving my *kitten*!
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I came off antidepressants cold turkey in 2003 I had to as I found out I was pregnant. I was on venlafaxine which I have since found out is a particularly nasty one to come off. I felt shocking dizzy, nauseous so lethargic. I just slept all day and depression spiralled out of control. To top it off the ADs caused a miscarriage anyway and this didn't help the depression. I became pregnant very quickly after with my twins and my GP wouldn't prescribe a different brand of ADs the pregnancy was Ok but I ended with PN depression and was put on Prozac for about 6 months. Now exercise is my stress/depression cure. I believe had I weaned myself off properly I wouldn't have had PN depression but who knows. Good luck and do it slowly. I have recently been on amytriptiline to treat fibromyalgia again I weaned myself off these slowly and no withdrawal issues.
    I am a midwife and we put the babies of mothers taking ADs on withdrawal observations just the same as the babies of heroin addicts they can withdraw from the effects up to 10 days old. It's not nice to watch and pretty sad.