good news and bad news lol

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
I have now had two great months where I feel like most of my menopausal symptoms are under control. (for those who don't know me, I'm using a combination of bioidentical progesterone and bioidentical estriol, both in cream form, compounded by my pharmacist.) It took a couple of months of tweaking to get the right combination for my symptoms. YAY

But I've gained 3 or 4 pounds. BOO.

Now I'm going to tweak things slightly down and try to find a happy medium. :-)

I am also more than ever convinced that I need to eat a pretty low glycemic diet. I've always believed it and am now even more sure.

Momma Grizz's blog, which I've linked before, explains my beliefs quite well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Momma_Grizz/view/menopausal-weight-gain-war-zone-576021

So, I'm tweaking again, and cutting back on carbs from grains again.
And cutting out all GF breads again.

Replies

• jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I sure hear you, Sabine. I finally feel like my regime is working too. I take the same, but in the form of the patch and a progesterone pill. They are also bioidentical and I don't get anxious from the Estrogen - which was a HIDEOUS side effect.

I am stable at my current weight for two months now. I go up and back down a few here and there...especially after weekends! I too, try to eat low glycemic mostly because sweets make me feel so ****ty now. It has really taken the fun out of it. It has also help me not put on the extra pounds while I have increased my calories.

The next challenge will be the 7 pounds I want to lose by 2/24/14 my next vacation. Unlike you, I totally suck at exercising and will need to get my flabby butt moving if I want to make this happen. Calorie restriction alone won't do it. Edit: the article you reference states it concisely and accurately IMHO.

So it seems, it never ends, does it? Best to you, as always!

Jayne
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I sure hear you, Sabine. I finally feel like my regime is working too. I take the same, but in the form of the patch and a progesterone pill. They are also bioidentical and I don't get anxious from the Estrogen - which was a HIDEOUS side effect.

I am stable at my current weight for two months now. I go up and back down a few here and there...especially after weekends! I too, try to eat low glycemic mostly because sweets make me feel so ****ty now. It has really taken the fun out of it. It has also help me not put on the extra pounds while I have increased my calories.

The next challenge will be the 7 pounds I want to lose by 2/24/14 my next vacation. Unlike you, I totally suck at exercising and will need to get my flabby butt moving if I want to make this happen. Calorie restriction alone won't do it.

So it seems, it never ends, does it? Best to you, as always!

Jayne
    You sound like you DO have things under control (for now anyways, smile). Is your pill the prometrium? I didn't mind that one either.
    I'd love to lose 7 pounds. That's about what I've gained, lost, gained since this "journey" began.

I'm even re-reading parts of the south beach diet book again, to remind myself about low-glycemic eating. I tend to forget quickly heh.

Best of luck to you too! I am good at the exercise routine. What I'm not good at is giving up my evening wine. But I'm starting to think that I may have to, at least on school nights, if I'm gonna lose. I've tried that before, but everything seems to be changing again, so who knows.

Glad we're friends! I always know I can bounce ideas off you.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    How nice to find this group!

I found that it was only after I went flour free that I was able to manage my weight without starving myself or feeling ravenous.

I like to think that as I've grown older my body is a better feedback mechanism. It is simply reminding me via weight and energy level, that refined foods are energy depleting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    How nice to find this group!

I found that it was only after I went flour free that I was able to manage my weight without starving myself or feeling ravenous.

I like to think that as I've grown older my body is a better feedback mechanism. It is simply reminding me via weight and energy level, that refined foods are energy depleting.
    Hi! I had assumed you were part of it.
    Yeah, the further I go on this journey the LESS wheat flour is part of my diet, that's for sure. Even though I've been eating low GI (slow carb) for eons, I'm still tweaking things.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yep.

This sounds silly, but isn't it nice to get older and smarter?

In my younger days I somehow thought that every revolutionary new diet that promised I could eat whatever I wanted in whatever amounts actually existed....

Oh, foolish youth!

Now, as an adult woman I realize there is no unicorn...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Yep.

This sounds silly, but isn't it nice to get older and smarter?

In my younger days I somehow thought that every revolutionary new diet that promised I could eat whatever I wanted in whatever amounts actually existed....

Oh, foolish youth!

Now, as an adult woman I realize there is no unicorn...
    Indeed. Recently Bcattoes and I both mentioned (on the main boards, ack) that the earlier one develops good eating habits the better. You would have thought we'd said: eat moldy bread and water for life! lol
  • tashiaberman
    tashiaberman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight and finding the right combination of bioidentical hormone replacements and right diet for the past 6 years. I am finally fully menopausal and have only the occasional hot flash -- when I drink coffee -- but was still struggling with the weight. No matter how many calories I reduced, how much I exercised or how much I cut carbs, the best I could do was maintain my level of overweight. If I went off that struggle to diet for even as little as a week, I gained weight.

My sister was finally able to lose the weight she had gained by dropping her calories to 900 and running 5 miles per day on the treadmill. I guess you can have time to do that if you don't work and aren't afraid of destroying your knee joints, but I can't live that way. Further, I don't think that level of caloric restriction and exercise is something that can be maintained long term. So as soon as she has a little bump in the road that knocks her off the wagon, so to speak, the weight will come piling back on.

Around Thanksgiving I went on search of another diet and was reading about some of Suzanne Somers' books. When I got on a Facebook page for her Somersize diet support group, I was delighted to find a lot of people posting. They weren't just posting about how hard it was to lose weight, but posting recipes and about how well the diet works. I decided to try it and have lost 14 lbs in a little over 1 1/2 months. To me this is a miracle!

What's more is it really isn't like a diet that you go on until you've lost the weight, then just eat sensibly. It is a fundamental change in what you eat and how you eat it. It is very similar to Atkins, in that it is ketogenic, but also includes food combining. You don't eat Proteins/Fats with Carbs and you eat Fruit separately from either of the previous groups. You can eat Veggies with either group, except Fruits and there are time intervals between switching from one group to another. She has a list of forbidden "Funky Foods" that have protein/fat/carb all in one food in poor combination that are banished all together. I eat well, don't have to count calories or fat grams and never go hungry. I can pig out and still lose weight. Love it!

I expected to have to exercise to get any results, but amazingly I've been losing the weight with very little, sporadic exercise. My exercise has consisted of walking the dog around the park on weekends and holidays. Which I may convert to evenings too when the weather improves and days get longer. When I lose enough weight -- say down to 150 or so -- I may try to begin running. I think that would be light enough as to not damage my knee joints.

By summer I hope to be able to wear a bathing suit without being totally disgusted when I put it on. Wish me luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight and finding the right combination of bioidentical hormone replacements and right diet for the past 6 years. I am finally fully menopausal and have only the occasional hot flash -- when I drink coffee -- but was still struggling with the weight. No matter how many calories I reduced, how much I exercised or how much I cut carbs, the best I could do was maintain my level of overweight. If I went off that struggle to diet for even as little as a week, I gained weight.

My sister was finally able to lose the weight she had gained by dropping her calories to 900 and running 5 miles per day on the treadmill. I guess you can have time to do that if you don't work and aren't afraid of destroying your knee joints, but I can't live that way. Further, I don't think that level of caloric restriction and exercise is something that can be maintained long term. So as soon as she has a little bump in the road that knocks her off the wagon, so to speak, the weight will come piling back on.

Around Thanksgiving I went on search of another diet and was reading about some of Suzanne Somers' books. When I got on a Facebook page for her Somersize diet support group, I was delighted to find a lot of people posting. They weren't just posting about how hard it was to lose weight, but posting recipes and about how well the diet works. I decided to try it and have lost 14 lbs in a little over 1 1/2 months. To me this is a miracle!

What's more is it really isn't like a diet that you go on until you've lost the weight, then just eat sensibly. It is a fundamental change in what you eat and how you eat it. It is very similar to Atkins, in that it is ketogenic, but also includes food combining. You don't eat Proteins/Fats with Carbs and you eat Fruit separately from either of the previous groups. You can eat Veggies with either group, except Fruits and there are time intervals between switching from one group to another. She has a list of forbidden "Funky Foods" that have protein/fat/carb all in one food in poor combination that are banished all together. I eat well, don't have to count calories or fat grams and never go hungry. I can pig out and still lose weight. Love it!

I expected to have to exercise to get any results, but amazingly I've been losing the weight with very little, sporadic exercise. My exercise has consisted of walking the dog around the park on weekends and holidays. Which I may convert to evenings too when the weather improves and days get longer. When I lose enough weight -- say down to 150 or so -- I may try to begin running. I think that would be light enough as to not damage my knee joints.

By summer I hope to be able to wear a bathing suit without being totally disgusted when I put it on. Wish me luck!
    So glad you found what works for you! You must feel marvelous! I knew Sommers had a book about the bioidenticals, but didn't know she also had dieting information.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Updating my own thread.

I do feel like I've got a handle on this now!
    My doc has been great!

I'm using a consistent dose of bioidentical estriol all month long and cycling the bioidentical progesterone to mimic a normal cycle. This seems to be best for me.
    My hot flashes and night sweats are much better.
    Mood is better. :-)
    Sleep is better. :-)

I've lost the weight that I gained initially (and a couple of extra pounds!) I'm now within 4LBS of my preferred weight (where I was able to maintain for over a decade).

One downside: I'm cold again. I kinda enjoyed two years of never being cold in winter. ha.
  • KariD1114
    KariD1114 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sabine, what time of day do you use your estriol?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Sabine, what time of day do you use your estriol?
    Morning. Why?
  • KariD1114
    KariD1114 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My gyn had prescribed an estradiol/progesterone combo pill which I took at night for about a month back in October for my low estrogen symptoms. It didn't work well for me as I had a headache about every day & didn't help my sleep in the slightest.

I was just thinking about talking to him about switching me to a cream in the a.m. since I seem to be having low estrogen symptoms again. My last blood work showed my levels to be low but, in my PCP's words, "not THAT low."

Very happy that you found a mix that works well for you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My gyn had prescribed an estradiol/progesterone combo pill which I took at night for about a month back in October for my low estrogen symptoms. It didn't work well for me as I had a headache about every day & didn't help my sleep in the slightest.

I was just thinking about talking to him about switching me to a cream in the a.m. since I seem to be having low estrogen symptoms again. My last blood work showed my levels to be low but, in my PCP's words, "not THAT low."

Very happy that you found a mix that works well for you!
    I rather like the estriol. It's the weakest of the estrogens, and because it's a cream I can sorta "tweak" it til I find a good level.
  • irish6165
    irish6165 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm only six months after my hyst and we still haven't found the right balance but I HAVE found that exercising every day seems to help keep things under control more . Glad to have found this forum for those of us who have " been around the block " so to say .
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am really struggling with what works for weight loss. Good to read these comments.
  • kellyb63
    kellyb63 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! Shorter workouts makes sense to me, I'd rather wog for 30 minutes, get the heart rate up and do some light stretching afterwards. I do like protein shakes as well. Today, Im thinking paleo, will start with an omelet and concentrate on protein intake. I curse white flour -) repeat three times! . WIsh there was a magic pill to regulate the estrogen and calm the mood waves. My teens, husband and work sometimes just get the better of me. Here's to a stress free day, healthy eating and a good calorie burn.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Update: I've now had several good months. I definitely feel like the hormones are under some control.
    And the 3-4LBS has dropped off. I've lost a couple more, I'm holding steady at a good weight.

For the last few months I haven't had the ongoing breast pain, or the hard core hot flashes, and have had very limited night sweats.

Still have a few of my stranger ongoing symptoms, but I've been sleeping better, so those seem more manageable. Mood is definitely better. I feel like *me* again. Better than I have in a few years.

Still eating "slow carb", basically following south beach phase 2/3. That seems to work for me as well.
    I went on two trips in Feb and managed to not gain weight.

So for now, I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing:

*A small dose of bio-identical progesterone (about half a normal dose)
    *A small dose of bio-identical estriol
    *Drinking lots of water
    *Eating as healthy as I can, focusing on vegetables, lean meats, dairy, fruit, nuts and *some* fruit. I eat some *100% whole grains, but am limiting wheat.
    *taking magnesium, calcium, vitamin D and a multi
    *Walking everywhere I can. I try to get a minimum of 10,000 steps every day
    *pilates two or three times a week