New! What I should expect? Tips?

Options
This is the first time I've joined any sort of group on MFP. Does anyone check this regularly?

Anyhow,
Just started the JUDDD Diet about a week ago (3 down days, 3 up days so far). I'm 5'3" (about 190lbs right now) and I work out around 2-4 times a week (45-60min). With JUDDD, I've been consuming about 460cal on my down days and around 2300 cal on my up days (as per the website suggestion). I've lost 2lbs in my first week. Happy with that, although I don't know what to expect with this diet style.

Also, I read that I should just consume shakes during the 1st couple weeks? I'm not doing that. I've been having small amounts of fruits and vegetables, fresh juices, and sometimes a bit of greek yogurt. Is that still ok?

Just wondering, what kind of weight loss progress should I expect from this?
Any tips/suggestions?

Any input would help. Thanks!

Replies

• dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started with 5:2 for two weeks then ramped up to JUDD / EODD (every other day diet) about 3 weeks ago. A couple of responses:

No, there's no reason to drink shakes for the first couple of weeks. In fact, on down days you want to focus on two things: (a) filling foods, like vegetables/high fiber/bulk (I do carrots/broccoli/cauliflower/mushroom/onion stir fries alot) and (b) protein - eggs, fish, chicken. The bulk keeps you full, the protein helps you not lose muscle. Everything you're eating is fine, I'd just add in some protein if you can (the yogurt's a good start). The only other change I'd make is that juices add calories because they have alot of sugar; you might want to switch to just water or herbal teas on your DDs.

Weight loss varies hugely from person to person. One thing to keep in mind is that your weight may fluctuate more (alot more in some cases) than you are used to. You're "yo-yo'ing" your body from day to day and sometimes it'll retain water, sometimes it'll dehydrate faster, sometimes it 'stays the course'. Keys are to make sure you drink ALOT on DD's because you losing out on the water that's in the food you're not consuming on those days. Average loss is 1-2 pounds a week depending on how much you have to lose in the first place, with higher loss rates at the beginning (like all diets).

Feel free to friend me if you like...Hope this helps!
  • danielleamplified
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding. Super helpful information. :smile:
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just starting to name what I was doing too. I have been doing this without knowing it had a name. I started by doing intermittent fasting andnaturally came to a pretty alternating schedule. I am averaging 2 lbs a week or occasionally 3. I have been doing this 7 weeks and am about 15 lbs down. :)
    I also do veggies and lean meats on my low days. I feel pretty dang good.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am also starting, very excited.

How do you distract from hunger pangs on DD? Any tips?
  • Momto4minions
    Options
    I bought sodium free chicken bullion. 10 cals a packet! Hot water and sip it!totally helps. Also, celery!
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am also starting, very excited.

How do you distract from hunger pangs on DD? Any tips?

Drink lots of water. Also, I do alot of herbal tea. Warmer stuff seems to fill me up more...
  • Momto4minions
    Options
    Forgot dill pickles. 0 cals and crunchy and help with snacking!