after dinner

Options
tammc42
tammc42 Posts: 6 Member
I always have such a hard time after we eat dinner. I grew up always having something for desert. I just can't seem to get out of that mode. Lately it has been ice cream. 2 scoops. IT"S MAKING ME CRAZY. I can't stay away from it. HELP!!!

Replies

• quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You need to find something else to replace this habit. Maybe take a warm bath, or find a good book, brush your teeth and read in bed. This is a hard time for me also - good luck.
  • deebelky
    deebelky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ahhh... yes. i can't watch cooking shows at night anymore because this is hard enough without watching an iron chef cook all that incredible food. eat a giant salad with your dinner to get really full. works for me quite often. on those nights you just can't do without, keep a frozen banana handy in the freezer (peel before you freeze). if you blend it in one of those little automatic choppers with a touch of light vanilla almond milk, it makes a pretty decent fake ice cream. it's clean, good for you, and comes in with pretty low calories.

and...when you are having a really really hard time--post with us!!!
  • maglodee
    maglodee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear! I have the same issue, and instead of fighting it, I still have something sweet, but lower in fat and calories.

My current favourite is Source 0% Lemon Meringue Dessert Yogurt. Only 35 calories. It's sweet enough to fill the need, yet low enough in calories to keep me on track. If you can't fight the urge, perhaps you can find an adequate substitute. Good luck! :wink:
  • shanel97654
    shanel97654 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have found this is a hard time for as well. Sometimes I will just eat a little cool whip with strawberries or something to help with the cravings .... ;0)
  • tammc42
    tammc42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. All are great suggestions. I will let you know how they work.
  • HyderCah
    HyderCah Posts: 5
    Options
    So many options. Frozen banana. Non-fat yogurt vanilla flavored. Non-Fat frozen yogurt (Black cherry) with sugar free Hershey's syrup tastes like a chocolate covered cherry. Yum.:drinker:
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If we are to make this a lifestyle change that we can stick with, some things we just have to figure out how best to deal with it without sabotaging ourselves. I have to have a late night sweet treat as well and on some nights a glass of merlot is absolutely required. I always reserve 150-300 calories for my PM Treats. I think I've become obsessive about my daily exercise just to make sure I have those extra calories to work with.
  • chennette
    chennette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!! Lifestyle change:-)
    If we are to make this a lifestyle change that we can stick with, some things we just have to figure out how best to deal with it without sabotaging ourselves. I have to have a late night sweet treat as well and on some nights a glass of merlot is absolutely required. I always reserve 150-300 calories for my PM Treats. I think I've become obsessive about my daily exercise just to make sure I have those extra calories to work with.
  • LisaGaimadi
    LisaGaimadi Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself to check out after eating dinner...once I sign off on MFP I'm done.
    I go read a book or get engaged in something else.
    Mind you, this is only 4 weeks in, but my resolve is currently strong, so I'm sticking with it!
  • sveltemarilyn
    sveltemarilyn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This was hard for me several years ago, but I found if I made myself follow a food curfew I just got used to it. No snacks after dinner works for me. I noticed I started sleeping better too. It also helps if I plan an awesome breakfast to look forward to!

My hardest temptation time is late afternoon between lunch and dinner. I've finally realized I have to just have a little meal or snack then and plan for it. Maybe I was meant to be British and have afternoon tea?
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If i feel a cheat coming on I either workout or eat an apple
  • Veronikkka
    Veronikkka Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have similar cravings after dinner. I used to munch a chocolate and cookies.
    I use honey now. It's very sweet and I slowly eat it from a tea spoon. 2 teaspoons of hone has very little calories.
    Works for me