Vacation eating/ what is your maintenance calorie amount?

Options
embclark
embclark Posts: 186 Member
Soooo frustrated. I have been eating 1200 calories plus about 400 exercise calories and slowly losing. Lost about 14 over 7 weeks. Great for me! I went away for 3 days and ate at maintenance for my weight, about 1800. Over the three days I ate an extra 2500 calories. By all scientific math, a pound is about 3500 calories. So by eating at maintenance and over eating 2500, I should have gained almost a pound... Three days later and I am up 3.8 pounds!

I was active during this time too with water park and snowshoeing, so it isn't like I sat on my butt.

Hopefully over the next few days my weight goes down a little, Monday is official weigh in...

So question is if you are on maintenance, what is your weight and calorie goal?

I was at 167 when I decided to eat maintenance of about 1800 while on vacation. With my results, even though I ate 2500 extra, I am still thinking my maintenance should probably be minus a few hundred from myfitnesspals guesstimate.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates day to day & throughout the day. Don't panic! Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Everybody's different, so my maintenance calories won't work for you. Weight loss and maintenance take a whole lot of trial & error.

Also, 2 lb. per week is not "slowly losing." A healthy weight loss is .5–2 lb. per week.
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I understand that maintenance would be different for you and me, but I was hoping to see if those of us with thyroid problems have a common thread of some type, like to maintain we need to eat a few hundred less then the average joe or something...
  • natyasa
    natyasa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just had my RMR (resting metabolic rate) tested yesterday. And the nutritionist whom I had an appointment with said that usually for women, your maintenance weight should be 10 calories per pound. So if you're currently at 167, theoretically you would need 1,670 calories a day to maintain your weight.

These figures though don't factor in any medical issues, how active you are, or your metabolism.

Perhaps getting your RMR tested would help determine what your exact caloric intake is for maintenance and for loss. They usually have them at local universities, gyms, etc.
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm not yet on maintenance but I find that MFP totally overestimates the amount I can eat. What I am doing now is only inputting 1/3 of the exercise I do. So if I work out 60 minutes, hard, I log 20 minutes, easy. I've been losing (slowly) but I do find the same thing -- if I eat one big meal then I can easily gain 2 lbs, but I'm thinking that may be sodium, because usually those are meals at a restaurant. I have Graves disease and am actually in remission but the only way I've been able to lose is to kind of mess with MFP a little or else I end up gaining.