Supplements that you take

Options
Caitu13
Caitu13 Posts: 55 Member
I had Graves which led to thyroid removal in 2011. Since then doctors have put me on my Levothryoxine. But what other supplements do you take? My doctors have me on Vitamin D, Biotin, Vitamin B12, Multivitamin, Calcium, and cranberry for utis. Is anyone else taking all this? Just curious, I'll do what my doctors say because i like them but I'm just curious if others take this much as well.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Wait at least 4 hours after taking Synthroid before taking any supplements. They can interfere with the absorption of Synthroid.

When I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's my GP prescribed megadoses of Vitamin D. But now I just take a multivitamin plus additional calcium.

Edited to add that my GP stopped the D when a blood test showed it was no longer necessary. Always consult your doctor before starting or stopping supplements.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I've got Hashi's and use Nature-throid (natural dessicated thyroid that has both T3 and T4). I do take a bunch of additional supplements after blood tests revealed a deficiency in certain areas -- some of which that may have been linked to Hashi's or just some likely due to insufficient diet.

I do a multi-vitamin to cover my bases generally, as well as vitamin D, omega-3 and a magnesium/zinc/vitamin b combo. Apparently deficiencies in vitamin d and magnesium are super common in the population in general, which they think is due to less time in the sun (totally true in my case) and modern diet strips out magnesium for a lot of people.

I take my thyroid stuff first thing in the morning and don't eat anything else for 30 mins as certain things can interfere with its absorption. Then, I take everything else except for the magnesium/zinc/vitamin b combo with breakfast. I leave the magnesium/zin/vitamin b combo for before bed as the magnesium is great for putting me to sleep and I know that calcium can interfere with its uptake so I don't want to take it at the same time as my breakfast supplements.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I take selenium, magnesium, a regular multi-vitamin, fish oil, and biotin. I also wait several hours after taking my Armour before I take all those supplements to make sure nothing interferes with the Armour.
  • brenda5476
    brenda5476 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I take a iron free multi, zinc, selenium, copper and D3.

I take my synthroid at 6 am and wait 1 hour before eating. I take my supplements at noon so it doesn't interfere with my synthroid.

I was told to be careful when taking calcium - wait 4 hours before taking it.
  • gabbiest
    Options
    I take my levothyroxine each morning and then take B12, C, and D3 with dinner. My doctor also had me on Selenium but I discontinued taking it because it wasn't helping me. I'm considering adding Biotin and E for my hair loss and awfully brittle nails, but I would like to consult with my doctor before starting them.

It's not uncommon for us thyroid patients to be on a lot of vitamins and supplements. Having a screwy thyroid really does affect so much of our lives.
  • jaz141
    jaz141 Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm on a laundry list of supplements to help my chronic fatigue and hypothyroidism. Also digestive issues and muscle repair (marathon training)
    B complex
    Vitamin D
    Viviscal (hair supplement)
    NT Factor
    adrenal Support formula
    Magnesium
    A sleep/skin formula called lumivella
    Probiotic
    Digestive enzymes when needed
    D Ribose
    L glutamine
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Whoa! I've been without a thyroid for a year and a half now (cancer), on levothyroxin, and not one of my doctors has said anything about supplements. Why is everyone taking so many? And how did you know that you needed them?
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Whoa! I've been without a thyroid for a year and a half now (cancer), on levothyroxin, and not one of my doctors has said anything about supplements. Why is everyone taking so many? And how did you know that you needed them?

I'd like to know this as well? The only thing my doctor said was that Synthroid may cause bone loss and it may be beneficial to take a calcium supplement. (Followed by the obvious lecture about Synthroid and calcium)
  • jaz141
    jaz141 Posts: 32
    Options

I work with a holistic M.D. who is experienced in thyroid issues and dietary supplements. My career is also in the supplement and natural health industry so have seen the research behind the ones I take. I also read A LOT so I ask a lot of questions, request lab work that I want done, etc.

Most conventional doctors won't advocate for supplements, even when you are borderline deficient. In my case, it was a matter of having lingering symptoms and finding the right doctor and the right combination of meds and supplements. Not all of them a re for thyroid, btw. Some of for sleep and digestion issues, as well as sports training.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

I work with an endo who takes a more holistic approach. He aims to help his patients feel optimal, not just treating the worst symptoms. He explained that a lot of people in the populace in general are deficient in certain minerals -- D, magnesium and iodine being the biggest, so he always checks for those. He also said that certain deficiencies can mimic certain hypothyroid symptoms -- like how magnesium can alleviate constipation (a common hypothyroid symptom). Also folks with hypothyroid issues that have gone untreated for a long time can also develop secondary conditions like insulin resistance or adrenal fatigue so he checks for issues specifically in that as well as vitamin/mineral deficiencies that affect those areas as well.

So, he wants to make sure that all these things are brought up to good levels so that you don't end up with more thyroid medication than necessary. Or have a harder time with the medication, which apparently can happen if your adrenals are fatigued and that's not addressed first.
  • Mamabearto5
    Mamabearto5 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take all that the OP takes, minus the biotin.. I also take Iron and Vit C.

I wasn't TOLD that I should, but I always felt better when I took a multi. Then I was advised by my endo that I should be taking Calcium because women with thyroid disease (hypo) tend to have a hard time absorbing calcium so I figured, a little extra on board wont hurt... :) I have always needed an iron supplement, and then I was diagnosed with Vit D difficiency (go figure, I live in sunny south florida) I eat a healthy diet, but my body doesn't seem to absorb all this stuff so I feel like a slug without it. :)
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos, and I take 150mcg of Levothyroxine in the morning. I eat about 2-3 hours after taking it. I also take a multi, Vitamin D, Coconut oil, MACA, Gingko biloba, B-complex, Chromium, Glucosamine chondroiten and a calcium chew. Ya i am a vitamin pig. I am going to be stopping some of these when they run out.
    I am always tired so i keep trying things to see if it helps.
    Oh i also take either Melatonin or Valerian to help me sleep.