Difference between Paleo and WAPF?

Options
jeridith
jeridith Posts: 67 Member
Hello all! I discovered this group through a friend that posted here, and you all seem such a nice (and reasonable!) lot of folks, I thought I'd pop in :).

I know almost nothing about Paleo (as rural Australia is hardly a hub of nutritional awareness), and wondered about the differences between this form of eating and the Weston A. Price Foundation guidelines, and I dared not ask on the general forums! and the WAPF group is pretty quiet (as in deadly quiet!).

If I had to acronym how I eat I would consider it to be closest to the WAPF guidelines: lots of good animal and vegetable fats, grass-fed meat, raw milk and dairy products, and fresh fruit and vegetables, avoiding factory food and unnecessary added sugar. They also recommend soaked grains, but that I don't bother with. I grind my own grains fresh when I need them, and that will just have to suffice :)

Where would Paleo diverge?

I've enjoyed all the threads I've read here, and look forward to reading some more :)

Any one interested is more than welcome to add me! I like having friends who eat real food :)

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi Jeridith, in principle the Paleo/Primal lifestyle bloomed from Dr Price's research and a few others. As for differences the only two items that would trip up most of us is vegetable oils (which tend to be highly processed, I am not speaking about fruit oils like olive and avocado) and grains (which about 60 years back seem to have turned a bad corner with all the genetic modification done to them by "science"). Your fresh foods approach with out a lot of unnecessary added sugars is right up our alley so to speak.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    WAPF allows for traditionally prepared grains, legumes, soy, and dairy. Paleo folks typically do not eat these things, traditionally prepared or not. I personally follow an 80/20 primal and WAPF. When I eat grains and legumes I either soak, sour, or sprout them following the methods used in Nourishing Traditions. I do avoid any soy that hasn't been fermented (basically I only eat organic, non-GMO miso), and I rarely eat gluten grains.

I am glad you came across the group as there are a lot of really wonderful, helpful folks here (love you guys)!!
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    welcome!
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi just wanted to say welcome and glad you found us. You sound like you are pretty much on track apart from the grains/soy. I myself don't do dairy as I am intolerant to it have been since a baby. Please don't look at the last 7 days of my food diary I lost the plot and did everything wrong and am now paying the price(weight gain, health problems spiralling out of control). I could use the support to get back on track but I think I have had my wake up call.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I discovered this group through a friend that posted here, and you all seem such a nice (and reasonable!) lot of folks, I thought I'd pop in :).

I know almost nothing about Paleo (as rural Australia is hardly a hub of nutritional awareness), and wondered about the differences between this form of eating and the Weston A. Price Foundation guidelines, and I dared not ask on the general forums! and the WAPF group is pretty quiet (as in deadly quiet!).

If I had to acronym how I eat I would consider it to be closest to the WAPF guidelines: lots of good animal and vegetable fats, grass-fed meat, raw milk and dairy products, and fresh fruit and vegetables, avoiding factory food and unnecessary added sugar. They also recommend soaked grains, but that I don't bother with. I grind my own grains fresh when I need them, and that will just have to suffice :)

Where would Paleo diverge?

I've enjoyed all the threads I've read here, and look forward to reading some more :)

Any one interested is more than welcome to add me! I like having friends who eat real food :)

It sounds to me like you are already leading a healthy lifestyle and as other have mentioned you are already pretty close to paleo. The important thing to remember is that however you choose to eat, the ultimate goal is that it makes you feel good and provides the right fuel for your activities. :flowerforyou:
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Paleo is primarily an anti-allergen diet. No gluten, no soy, no dairy, no legumes, no grains, etc. Vegetable oils are high in omega-6 fatty acids which (when consumed in excess) can cause inflammation, and quite often are already rancid by the time they reach the table (free radicals and such).

Some can still do dairy and rice and such - depending on tolerance.

In the end, it boils down to what makes you feel best and what helps you to achieve optimal health.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm a big Dr. Weston Price fan, and I live amongst the Inuit, one people that he researched. However, I'm not completely thrilled with where the foundation is at the moment and do not always agree with Sally Fallon. She puts the foundation at odds with Paleo when I think she should be supportive/cooperative. That said, WAPF and Paleo can go together hand in hand. Some people can tolerate legumes, grains, etc when prepared carefully. Others cannot, or choose not to. (I don't tolerate grains, legumes, lots of fruit/nuts etc.) In my opinion, raw dairy would be beneficial for many people, but if it isn't raw, it isn't healthy or worth consuming for anyone (that doesn't mean some of us don't choose to eat it anyway!).

It is my opinion that a very strict no grain, legume, and no dairy eating plan works best for me. That doesn't mean that I'm always doing that, unfortunately. My lifestyle is somewhat influenced by the traditional Inuit diet. I can't access everything they ate, or eat it the way they ate it but my macros are similar. I actually joke about myself being a "Polynesian Inuit" because of my heavy reliance on coconut and fatty animals. I'm not Inuit (my child is half Inuit) but I suspect my Irish and Northern European ancestors did not have a diet that much different.

PS: I hope you aren't eating a lot of vegetable fat in the form of refined vegetable or seed oils!
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the warm welcome, and information on Paleo! The A in the SAD diet could just as easily be Australia, and I don't believe I've ever met anyone here mention Paleo or Primal as food lifestyles, so the information has all been very interesting!

To Akima: ewwww and yuck to processed vegetable oils! /shudder. ????. I watched some documentary on how that stuff was processed, and if I'd been any sort of fan before that would have cured me! I get my fats from avocados, nuts, tallow, lard, ghee, butter, olive and coconut oil, with the very occasional bit of peanut oil for recipes where I don't want the strong taste of olive oil. I don't make those dishes often, and next time I do, I'll come pick y'all's brains about a decent substitute.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Thank you all for the warm welcome, and information on Paleo! The A in the SAD diet could just as easily be Australia, and I don't believe I've ever met anyone here mention Paleo or Primal as food lifestyles, so the information has all been very interesting!

To Akima: ewwww and yuck to processed vegetable oils! /shudder. ????. I watched some documentary on how that stuff was processed, and if I'd been any sort of fan before that would have cured me! I get my fats from avocados, nuts, tallow, lard, ghee, butter, olive and coconut oil, with the very occasional bit of peanut oil for recipes where I don't want the strong taste of olive oil. I don't make those dishes often, and next time I do, I'll come pick y'all's brains about a decent substitute.

Commercial peanut oil is certainly questionable. I like macadamia oil if I need a nut oil (I know peanut is a legume) but it's very flavourful. Avocado oil is delicious but I don't heat it. I'm so used to coconut oil that I don't think it over powers recipes but some people disagree (I used to hate all things coconut believe it or not). You could also try a lighter olive oil instead of extra virgin if the taste bothers you, but I'd make it an "occasional" use only. I don't generally heat olive oil either, but just rarely isn't a big deal. (I generally only heat coconut, palm, and animal fats.)
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yum, animal fats!
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I actually use avocado oil specifically for high heat cooking because it has a very high smoke point. It has little to no flavor so i love it for recipes where I would have (waaay in the past) used a vegetable oil. I will also use coconut oil but feel it does impart a bit of a sweet taste which I don't mind but the hubs has commented on it. Ghee is a staple fat as well as bacon grease. When I get the opportunity to use other animal fats from "happy" animals I jump on it but it's rare around here. Love fat :)
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hello! I always love meeting another WAPFer! I love all the similarities between WAP and paleo. Its too bad sally Fallon (whos cookbook I refer almost everyday) has been so vocal against paleo. There are so many more similarities especially when compared to the SAD. I think many WAPers have a problem with paleo because of an overuse of nuts and nut flours on paleo. After many years of playing around with diet I know nuts and coconut and nut flower don't work for everyone and should be used sparingly.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Hello! I always love meeting another WAPFer! I love all the similarities between WAP and paleo. Its too bad sally Fallon (whos cookbook I refer almost everyday) has been so vocal against paleo. There are so many more similarities especially when compared to the SAD. I think many WAPers have a problem with paleo because of an overuse of nuts and nut flours on paleo. After many years of playing around with diet I know nuts and coconut and nut flower don't work for everyone and should be used sparingly.

I said something similar regarding Sally Fallon's stance on Paleo above. I sure hope that other WAPF supporters have let her know that we should be united rather than at odds. That is, we have more in common than different and could be a united front for healthy lifestyles. I was, and still am, extremely disappointed with her when she distanced WAPF from Paleo. I can't/won't eat many things in her cookbook, can't access raw dairy/dairy cultures etc, and I refuse to jump through hoops to prepare grains/legumes safe for consumption when I can just avoid them. Simpler for me, but not necessary for everyone in all situations of course.