Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
Get to it, ladies!

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    First week back on Wendler 531: Deadlift Day *dun dun dun* (I'm still sore from the squats. Dang)

135x5 (shoulda been 125 but I didn't feel like switching the 45s so I cheated a bit)
    145x5
    160x12
    The video for the last set is going to be here when it uploads:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQUxfxQ4PmE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Feedback on my form would be appreciated ^^ my hips seem to.shoot up a bit early, esp. On those last few reps. Everything here was done with an overhand grip. THANK YOU LIQUID GRIP! that stuff is pretty strong! Keeps your hands dry and clean and just sticky enough that the bar won't slide out of your grip. And it smells like coconut! Lol

Then I did my boring but big sets 5x10 back at 135. Switched up my stance and grip here to play around with it.

Front squats
    45x8
    95x2x8
    95x10

Barbell glute bridge @60 13/15/15

One arm DB row @40 3x12
    Superset with ez bar curls 45x8, 45x6, 30x12

Ab wheel rollout on knees 10/8/10
    Superset with box jumps at knee height 10/8/10

Finished with 5 mins high incline walk on the treadmill. My lower back is SHOT. Time for some foam rolling and a nap.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just started SL 5x5 last week so my weights are pretty light. But they're challenging enough for me!

Squat (warmups = no weight x5 / 45x5 / 55x5): Working weight 5 sets of 65x5
    Bench (warmups 15lb dbs x5; 45bar x 5): Working weight 5 sets of 55x5
    Row Working Weight 5 sets of 75x5

And at the end I did 30 front lunges each side with a 10 lb kettlebell, only because it's a carryover from my kettlebell workout video days of the move I found most challenging and I don't want to lose the progress I made on it.
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm going to end my stalking and join in with you ladies. I have to admit that I am seriously impressed by your numbers but a little confused by mine. I just finished my full 3rd week SL 5x5. I was sort of doing it before loosely because couldn't do a single squat and had a bad knee so I felt like I had to work on my squats and form first. But I proud to say that I'm squatting now and my knee has been pain free for awhile now.

Here is my yesterday results (-warmups)
    Squat 45x5
    OP 50x5
    Deadlift 60x5
    Hanging leg raise 10x2 (need something to stop hands slippin)

The reason that I'm a bit confused is that my bench press is 75. It doesn't seem to match up with others with benching being my biggest lift. I feel like medhi's "captain upperbody". :noway:

I Do have a question for the more advanced lifters? I watched several of your videos showing squats. And your fast like recommended. But I can only move like that on lower weighs. When I up the weight, I move slowly but I get through it. Do I keep upping the weights if I complete them slowly.?
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Workout A and deloaded squats today:

Squats:
    1x5, 45lbs
    2x5, 95lbs
    2x5, 115 lbs

Bench:
    4x5, 55lbs
    1x5, 60lbs

Barbell Rows:
    5x5, 55lbs

Away this week, so no lifting for me! I wish I could, though -- I'm excited to work on my DL form after reading Starting Strength (a late birthday present!) :love:
  • krokador
    Options
    I Do have a question for the more advanced lifters? I watched several of your videos showing squats. And your fast like recommended. But I can only move like that on lower weighs. When I up the weight, I move slowly but I get through it. Do I keep upping the weights if I complete them slowly.?

You have to try to move as fast as possible, as in be explosive out of the bottom. I guess "smooth" might be a better term here. Obviously, as the weight gets heavier, "fast" will become a lot more slow. I'd say as long as you're not grinding reps (moving up in stages, one side before the other, having to wiggle up, that kind of thing) you're good to move forward.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    rdkstar - I agree with Krok, it isn't necessarily speed as fluidity during the lift. I get slower as the weights progress because I don't want to crash down in a squat and the up part is harder. I still go for a smooth down and up motion, just at a more controlled pace for safety. Your bench may be the better of them because you are not worried about your knees with them.

Good gym day for me. Got there just after opening (10 AM) and walked into an empty weight room. I had it all to myself for a whole 10 minutes! I got form videos of my squats and they are uploading right now. I can update or edit when they are done loading.

Squats: @ 130 lbs
    Bench: @ 95 lbs
    Row: @ 100 lbs

Then I tacked on 3x10 Hip thrusts @ 100 lbs, 3x10 Landmine 180's @ bar, 2x40 paces Death March with 2x15lb dumbbells, 1x10 & 2x8 full body weight dips, 3x12 straight leg lifts.
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Totally awesome workout today -- I was feeling so good I was literally grinning ear to ear more than once.

Squats
    Warm: 45, 65, 95, 115
    Work: 135x5x5 this is the second workout at this weight - I'll add next time

Bench:
    Warm: 45, 65
    Work: 80x5x5
    Asked for a spot because when I first started these were HARD and this was an increase from my last workout. Totally wasn't needed and I finished this on my own.

Row:
    Warm:45
    Work: 65
    I should really get serious about progressing on these - I hate doing them, but I love the results.

Accessory stuff:
    Shrugs: 3x8x65
    DB Curl: 12.5x3x10 - took form cues from a Rippetoe video, rotating my arm to get a full range of motion in the biceps / add weight next time
    Lying tricep extension ( : I like these and will keep up with 'em. Don't know what the bar is called, but my work weight was bar + 10 lb
    Hyperextension with plate 25x3x10
    Cable Crunch 42.5x3x10

I knew I was getting into new 'big' weight territory for me with the squats so I warmed up a LOT. Body weight squats, hip circles, mountain climbers. Finished up by getting everything going with 5 min on the rowing machine.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Startng tomorrow and can't wait to start checking in! I'm Alicia :flowerforyou: Just a few questions before I start tomorrow.
    For warm ups, I read the ebook and the stickies but for some reason it just isn't clicking for me. Are we suppose to do 2 or 3 warm up sets with 5 reps? And if I read correctly as we progress in weights, the warm ups can have added weight building up to your current lifting weight? Thanks!
  • jstout365
    Options
    Startng tomorrow and can't wait to start checking in! I'm Alicia :flowerforyou: Just a few questions before I start tomorrow.
    For warm ups, I read the ebook and the stickies but for some reason it just isn't clicking for me. Are we suppose to do 2 or 3 warm up sets with 5 reps? And if I read correctly as we progress in weights, the warm ups can have added weight building up to your current lifting weight? Thanks!

Welcome!

2-3 warm up sets of 5-10 reps (higher reps only with lower weight like body weight or bar). As you get higher weight for working sets, you can add additional sets for warm ups and decrease the reps to 2-3. So for example, when my squat weight was 95 lbs, I did 10 @ bodyweight, 5 @ bar, 5 @ 65 and then working weight. I did 130 today and my warm up was 10 @ bodyweight, 5 @ bar, 5 @ 65, 5 @ 95, 5 @ 115 then working sets. I just replace the plates with the next size up for my warm up progression (skipping the 2.5 and 5 lb plates). I don't see me doing so many warm ups when I get closer to my previous PR weight so I will probably cut out the 65 lbs first and then see what works after that. Other ladies are much higher in weight than I am and should be able to offer some additional feedback.
  • jstout365
    Options
    okay, got all 5 video's put together on youtube.

Today's squat sets: http://youtu.be/OqU7uhprOUc

I noticed a few things, one being that my left foot (closest to the camera) is lifting off at the heel indicating that the weight is getting pushed forward. Getting the weight more upright could help that and the amount that my knees are past my toes. The second set was pretty nasty and I noticed the "lazy" left leg while I was doing them so.....Third set I felt was my best set. I did collapse a little on a few reps and I see myself fighting off the forward tilt.

Anything else? Recommendations?
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Jstout, some thoughts that wandered through my head while watching your video.. :)

1. why are you standing on a mat? looks squishy..
    2. what sort of shoes are you wearing?
    3. looks like some knee slide?
    4. you look like you take a long time to psych yourself up - more aggression, 'just do it' has helped me!
    5. you look as though you are looking at yourself in the mirror so your neck isn't neutral - might be worth playing around with eye gaze?
    6. when you actually squat you are doing it with ease, more weight!
    7. loving the guy half squatting next to you!
    8. re the heels, not sure what to suggest (other than mat/shoes), maybe thinking 'heels'??
    9. eta after reading your comment - you shouldn't be upright for low bar squats, not sure that thinking is helping you? bar over the foot / bar in a straight line is more helpful :)
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    okay, got all 5 video's put together on youtube.

Today's squat sets: http://youtu.be/OqU7uhprOUc

I noticed a few things, one being that my left foot (closest to the camera) is lifting off at the heel indicating that the weight is getting pushed forward. Getting the weight more upright could help that and the amount that my knees are past my toes. The second set was pretty nasty and I noticed the "lazy" left leg while I was doing them so.....Third set I felt was my best set. I did collapse a little on a few reps and I see myself fighting off the forward tilt.

Anything else? Recommendations?

You are rolling onto your forefoot on the drive up, try putting some 1.25's under your heels and see if that improves the drive through the heel and get rid of the mat on the platform.

I would work on some shoulder mobility so that you are not rolling your shoulders forward when you are upright, work on getting elbows under the bar.

Depth is good and the weight looks well within your limits

@Lydia although you are not going to be as upright as an Oly squat, you want to keep your torso as upright as possible it make the movement more efficient through the drive out of the bottom :smile:
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

If you are just starting with the 45lb bar then I would go with a 5min warm up on treadmill and then 1 or 2 sets of 10 bodyweight squats to depth and make sure you stretch at the bottom and then do your 5x5 with the bar. As you add weight you will factor in more warm up sets as jstout has described
  • jstout365
    Options
    Jstout, some thoughts that wandered through my head while watching your video.. :)

1. why are you standing on a mat? looks squishy..
    2. what sort of shoes are you wearing?
    3. looks like some knee slide?
    4. you look like you take a long time to psych yourself up - more aggression, 'just do it' has helped me!
    5. you look as though you are looking at yourself in the mirror so your neck isn't neutral - might be worth playing around with eye gaze?
    6. when you actually squat you are doing it with ease, more weight!
    7. loving the guy half squatting next to you!
    8. re the heels, not sure what to suggest (other than mat/shoes), maybe thinking 'heels'??
    9. eta after reading your comment - you shouldn't be upright for low bar squats, not sure that thinking is helping you? bar over the foot / bar in a straight line is more helpful :)

1-2: Okay, guess I should have explained the mat. My shoes are old and I find they slip on the wood platform. That is a yoga mat that I use for grip so yes, it is a little squishy. I've just been cheap and lazy to go get a new pair that has grip. I wear Merrell barefoot shoes so completely flat. I'll get off my @ss and get a new pair :grumble: :flowerforyou:

4: I'm not psyching myself up so much as I'm trying to get my heart rate under control.
    5: I look just under the mirror, about 2 feet off the ground. The mirror there doesn't touch the floor. I do however sometimes glance into it.
    6: I'm still progressing up from my restart. Actually, this time around, has been easier and I hope not to stall until I get back to the 145+ range like last time.
    7: Yeah, I always laugh to myself when these guys are there doing half squats next to me. The best squats I've seen have come from other women.
    9: I know I shouldn't be upright, I'm just thinking maybe back, but the bar does seem to be in the right place over the foot so I may just need to work on balance which has been an issue for me for a while.

girlie - I can try the plates. Thanks for the tip on shoulder mobility.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't think SL is for me, I have lost definition in my arms, legs and back, my biceps look so small and my legs are getting wobbly and cellulite is appearing again :sad: :sad: :sad:

The only benefit has been in my butt lol, it's more lifted and a bit bigger. Yes, I have gained strength, but really why I do I need to be lifting 155 lbs?

I never felt like I'd even done a proper workout after, not tired, not aching.

It is good to be stronger but my body looked so much better when I did the Chalean Xtreme program.

Today I have started Jamie Easons Livefit Trainer, will see how it goes.
  • krokador
    Options
    Body Weight Gauntlet Day! I need to go dig up my numbers from the Feb thread... (For those unfamiliar, 3 mins per exercise, 1 min rest between each)

Pull-ups: 13 -> 18
    I did increase the assistance because my bands are developing some slack. Erm. Ah well

Squats 80 -> 97
    I wanted to hit 100 soooo bad! Was pretty tight and my hamstrings have been especially sore this week. Pretty happy with this one regardless

Push-ups: 42 -> 43
    Well hey, can't win them all? xD

Burpees: 27 -> 28
    Wanted 30 here. I tried. I really did.

Plank: 1:27 -> 1:30
    This is NOT my max plank. This is 1 min rest after the burpees. Legs and shoulders gave in before my abs xD

I might dig up my dance pad and crack out 30 mins of DDR. Would be a nice change of pace! lol
    I don't think SL is for me, I have lost definition in my arms, legs and back, my biceps look so small and my legs are getting wobbly and cellulite is appearing again :sad: :sad: :sad:

The only benefit has been in my butt lol, it's more lifted and a bit bigger. Yes, I have gained strength, but really why I do I need to be lifting 155 lbs?

It is good to be stronger but my body looked so much better when I did the Chalean Xtreme program.

Well of course if you'd been doing lots of cardio and then started just lifting, dropping cthe cardio ompletely and eating the same (or more, since weight lifting does increase appetite quite a bit) you're going to gain some weight and the definition will *fade* a bit.

If you don't care about lifting heavy weight then yeah, I guess weight lifting in general is not meant for you anyway. But just so you know, those squats and deadlifts and even bench and overhead press can be useful in every day life. You can move your fridge when your cat sends his toy behind it #truestory without tweaking your back. Or pick up that tantrum throwing kid in your family without a wink. You can push yourself up and out of dodge easier if you fall or something happens. It's functional strength that has its use in every day life. So, yes, squatting 155lbs can come in handy!

Plus, no one said you couldn't do your DVDs or more cardio on off days too. Add accessory lifts here and there after your main lifts. Watch your caloric intake closely. You'll get some definition back in no time if you adjust to your goals appropriately.

Jamie Eason's livefit trainer is a bit of a bro split, meaning you hit each body part only once a week. If you're happy with your butt, I'd keep the squats in at least a 2nd day of the week (on shoulders & abs, possibly). What you'll end up doing is just spend more time in the gym for similar-ish results IMO. And most of those isolation moves don't have much direct carryover in real life. But I've never done it so I'll leave it to you to decide if you like it or not.
  • jstout365
    Options

Best wishes as you move to something that better fits your goals. As Krok said, SL movements do give a lot of functional strength that you may not notice in day to day life. There also isn't any harm in mixing in another program with SL if you wanted to continue with the strength gains. I also strive for body composition improvements and do additional exercises, both strength training and cardio to achieve my goals. So if there is a time where you find you are wanting to focus on strength again, come on back! Have fun with the Livefit program!
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options

Best wishes as you move to something that better fits your goals. As Krok said, SL movements do give a lot of functional strength that you may not notice in day to day life. There also isn't any harm in mixing in another program with SL if you wanted to continue with the strength gains. I also strive for body composition improvements and do additional exercises, both strength training and cardio to achieve my goals. So if there is a time where you find you are wanting to focus on strength again, come on back! Have fun with the Livefit program!

Thanks for your nice reply :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options
    Body Weight Gauntlet Day! I need to go dig up my numbers from the Feb thread... (For those unfamiliar, 3 mins per exercise, 1 min rest between each)

Pull-ups: 13 -> 18
    I did increase the assistance because my bands are developing some slack. Erm. Ah well

Squats 80 -> 97
    I wanted to hit 100 soooo bad! Was pretty tight and my hamstrings have been especially sore this week. Pretty happy with this one regardless

Push-ups: 42 -> 43
    Well hey, can't win them all? xD

Burpees: 27 -> 28
    Wanted 30 here. I tried. I really did.

Plank: 1:27 -> 1:30
    This is NOT my max plank. This is 1 min rest after the burpees. Legs and shoulders gave in before my abs xD

I might dig up my dance pad and crack out 30 mins of DDR. Would be a nice change of pace! lol

Well of course if you'd been doing lots of cardio and then started just lifting, dropping cthe cardio ompletely and eating the same (or more, since weight lifting does increase appetite quite a bit) you're going to gain some weight and the definition will *fade* a bit.

If you don't care about lifting heavy weight then yeah, I guess weight lifting in general is not meant for you anyway. But just so you know, those squats and deadlifts and even bench and overhead press can be useful in every day life. You can move your fridge when your cat sends his toy behind it #truestory without tweaking your back. Or pick up that tantrum throwing kid in your family without a wink. You can push yourself up and out of dodge easier if you fall or something happens. It's functional strength that has its use in every day life. So, yes, squatting 155lbs can come in handy!

Plus, no one said you couldn't do your DVDs or more cardio on off days too. Add accessory lifts here and there after your main lifts. Watch your caloric intake closely. You'll get some definition back in no time if you adjust to your goals appropriately.

Jamie Eason's livefit trainer is a bit of a bro split, meaning you hit each body part only once a week. If you're happy with your butt, I'd keep the squats in at least a 2nd day of the week (on shoulders & abs, possibly). What you'll end up doing is just spend more time in the gym for similar-ish results IMO. And most of those isolation moves don't have much direct carryover in real life. But I've never done it so I'll leave it to you to decide if you like it or not.

Um, not sure where you got the idea I did lots of cardio and put on weight?! Lol

If I add accessory lifts I will still be spending more time working out, so really what's the difference?

I'm fine with moving furniture and carrying my kids around.

I get the impression you seem to be insulted by my post for some reason.
  • krokador
    Options
    Um, not sure where you got the idea I did lots of cardio and put on weight?! Lol

If I add accessory lifts I will still be spending more time working out, so really what's the difference?

I'm fine with moving furniture and carrying my kids around.

I get the impression you seem to be insulted by my post for some reason.

Not insulted in the least! I was still in the heat of my workout and i tend to get wordy! Sorry if I sounded a lil mean. I just wanted to make sure someone didn't stumble on this thread and think "Oh! SL is going to make me lose all my gainzzzz!"

And I just went off what you said - that you'd lost definition and weren't feeling tired at the end of your workouts. Without much specifics it *is* hard to tell what's what. But technically, switching to SL alone shouldn't have made you lose any muscle or gain weight. Just wanted to put that out there.

Sometimes I try to be too helpful. But know that even if you're doing a different program, you're welcome to stick around!

I'm going to get my chill pill now xD (ice skating, woo!)