Welcome, 3rd shifters!

So our thread seems to be consistently popular but it's sometimes a pain to find if you're the first one posting on any given night. Coupled with the fact that we talk about a lot of different things in there, I figured we could use a group. Since the previous one is defunct and has no owner or moderation, I present to you the new 3rd Shift group!

Feel free to start any threads you want. I look forward to passing the late night hours with some awesome, supportive people who actually are awake when I am.

Replies

• apeyrn
    apeyrn Posts: 2
    Hello!!! It can be very hard to diet and work out when you wanna sleep when everyone else is awake!! Hopefully we can help each other find ways to make this easier!! Thanks for starting this group!!!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,190 Member
    I'm lucky. We have an exercise room and when it dies down at night, we are free to use it. The only problem is, it seems like I just get dressed for the treadmill or bike and someone will come in. It's still really nice to have it hear.
  • sufferlandrian
    Hey! We're up to 11 members! :-) Where is everyone else?
  • XianC
    XianC Posts: 93
    I'm lucky. We have an exercise room and when it dies down at night, we are free to use it. The only problem is, it seems like I just get dressed for the treadmill or bike and someone will come in. It's still really nice to have it hear.

Yeah, my gym is down the street and it's tempting to go use it in the late hours but if we get a call, we have to be there within 30 minutes (but as fast as possible) so I wouldn't want to show up to someone in crisis while stinking of sweat.
  • sufferlandrian

Yeah, my gym is down the street and it's tempting to go use it in the late hours but if we get a call, we have to be there within 30 minutes (but as fast as possible) so I wouldn't want to show up to someone in crisis while stinking of sweat.

Yep, given your job that makes perfect sense, or is it perfect scents? :-)
  • XianC
    XianC Posts: 93
    haha, well played.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Zzzzzz......

What does everyone do? I'm a home care nurse; 12 hr shifts 3 nights per week so I'll only be here Sun Mon Tues nights at different points.
  • sufferlandrian
    Three nights a week isn't bad. That's one to recover and three more to goof off. :-) I could handle that. :smile: :smile:
  • kerrylwharris
    kerrylwharris Posts: 2 Member
    Hi guys! I work in a hospital laboratory. We do 5 eight hour shifts, rotating to accommodate three weekends on, three off. I am guilty of switching my schedule on my days off, so twice a week I'm up for roughly 24-36 hours (first night off and first night back). And I'm a borderline insomniac. I had insomnia for about 6 months 15 years ago, and I always worry it will come back. I was quite literally nuts!

I had a surprise baby 2 years ago and actually lost weight both during and after my pregnancy. I felt like my metabolism was balanced, I stopped eating when I was full (it's amazing how motivating daily vomiting can be when it comes to overeating), and I had energy to do all kinds of things, if not specifically exercise. Then I had to start back on nights and within a few months I gained 20 pounds! MFP really works to keep me accountable with calorie intake, but I am exhausted almost always. I never, ever, ever feel motivated to exercise.

I have to stop this weight gain now before I gain it all back! I have used MFP off and on for years, hopefully joining this group will help me get motivated to exercise.
  • sufferlandrian
    Welcome. :-) Glad to have you on. Must have been a busy night for folks last night. The thread is usually more busy than that.
  • Hi all! I'm new to MyFitnessPal and also work third shift. I'm a goverment contractor and work service desk working with computer servers. Looking forward to relating with you all in the wee hours!
  • rusav
    rusav Posts: 11 Member
    Hi all! I'm new to MyFitnessPal and also work third shift. I'm a goverment contractor and work service desk working with computer servers. Looking forward to relating with you all in the wee hours!

Welcome!
  • L8riser
    L8riser Posts: 20 Member
    Hello everyone. Just joined group because I'm still awake and everybody else is asleep. I'm a nurse,on a busy medical unit, that works both day shift and night shift, part time. Switching back and forth is brutal, but don't really have a choice. Both shifts has it's advantages and disadvantages, especially for my family. I'm 43 and still juggling work, family, diet and exercise. MFP seems to be helping with the weight loss and have recently add 3 simple daily exercises,this month.
  • sufferlandrian
    Welcome to the third shift thread. It's not very active these days. The official nightshift Thread Part 70 is a bit more active these days but even that one has slowed down this winter so we would welcome anyone who wants to chip and and say hello. :smile: :smile:
  • L8riser
    L8riser Posts: 20 Member
    Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the reply.
  • sufferlandrian
    Head on over to the other sight. There is lots of good discussion on what to eat and just general getting through a shift and when to work out. It's good stuff. :-)
  • mizzhogbear
    mizzhogbear Posts: 16 Member
    Hi

I've just joined the group as Ive recently changed my shift pattern to nights and I generally work 3 to 4 night shifts a week 7:30pm until 07:30am. So I'm looking for good advice and tips for my eating routine and workouts :-)
  • sufferlandrian
    Welcome to the night crew. :-) I'd give you tips on eating overnight but the only one I can offer is have it made ahead of time. There is never anything healthy available to purchase on the overnight shifts.
  • 1QtwithaQ
    1QtwithaQ Posts: 37 Member
    HIIII!! I am so happy that I found this group!! GOOGLE IS THE BEST! :)
    I have been working nights for 3 months now and really am trying to slim down a little before the summer, which is soon approaching :)
    Since I found this group I hope it helps keeps me motivate!!
    Good luck everyone!
  • horsygal06
    horsygal06 Posts: 2
    Hello! I'm new here! I've been working overnights since late December. I am a veterinary technician in an ICU, and I'm loving it! I started insanity with my boyfriend, who also works shift work. I'm really struggling to eat healthy though, so I'm hoping to find some good advice on here! :D I'm also having difficulty these past couple of weeks getting my workout in because I've been over sleeping A LOT!

Looking forward to seeing posts!

April C.