Cutting calories and supply

Options
I have maintained for two weeks, so I am going to lower my calories a little ( down to 1800-2000. I've been eating more). This may be a dumb question, but if I notice that my supply has tanked, I can eat more and it will go back up, right?

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    that's not how it worked for me, but everyone is different. I had to end up nursing and pumping more and take a supplement to get my supply back where it was before calories killed it :(
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I noticed little dips when I cut calories. Just go it very slowly, maybe 100 and see how it goes before cutting too many.
  • krizaten33
    krizaten33 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    has anyone tried increasing calories slightly when this happens? sounds like it is imprtant to find the balance for every body. also seems like the nursing body will hang on to pounds to support the baby. im just one month pp so im new at this!
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that if I don't eat enough calories for the day, my output of oz is definately less. I would definately lower your calories very slowly to see how it goes, same as weaning anything else. If I don't eat all of my pumping calories back, my oz per day is usually 4-5 oz less than normal. Not everyone works this way, so you will just have to see how it goes.
  • tracybilal
    tracybilal Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have been ebf my 4 month old and have been on a 1200 calorie diet for a month now. But i have noticed a big drop in my supply over the last week.i usually was pumping 3-4 oz over what my daughter was having while i am at gym.but last week i could not even match what she was drinking while i was away. I usually pump as soon as i am back from gym. I am gonna try and drink more liquids and increase my intake to see how it goes.i think its also because i am trying not to eat back my calories from bf ir exercise.
  • kozlow27
    kozlow27 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The fear of cutting calories and how it would affect my supply is the exact reason I waited until DS was 10 months old to start dieting. I hated having an extra 30+ lbs on my body but I really wanted to EBF until a year. Since using MFP and cutting calories (I eat 1,450 a day) I have noticed a dip in my supply. While at work I am only pumping 8-12 oz where I used to pump 18+ oz. But, that is ok for me since my DS is 11 months now and I have 1,300 oz of frozen milk in my freezer (I used to produce a lot more milk and was able to build up a great freezer stash).

If you cut calories and see a dip in your supply you could always try eating oatmeal, taking More Milk Plus, drinking more water, etc.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I also waited until my son was older to cut calories. Breastfeeding is difficult & stressful enough as it is, especially with big growth spurts causing demand to swing wide of supply! Once my son began regularly eating solids, I slowly increased my activity level. I did not start a regimented diet & exercise program until the beginning of this year, when he was 10.5mo old. At almost 13mo he only nurses 4-6x/day, I have a good stash in the freezer, & worst case scenario we can swap to cow's milk.

If your supply suffers (for any reason) try increasing water intake, eating oatmeal, &/or the teas listed above. Usually when mine dipped I'd realize I had been drinking less water. During growth spurts eating oatmeal daily caught me up in no time flat!
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have been ebf my 4 month old and have been on a 1200 calorie diet for a month now. But i have noticed a big drop in my supply over the last week.i usually was pumping 3-4 oz over what my daughter was having while i am at gym.but last week i could not even match what she was drinking while i was away. I usually pump as soon as i am back from gym. I am gonna try and drink more liquids and increase my intake to see how it goes.i think its also because i am trying not to eat back my calories from bf ir exercise.

1200 total, or net? Your body will feed itself before it will feed your child - to EBF an infant you need a total of at LEAST 1700 calories daily - net, not gross (so more when you exercise). I know it's hard, it really really is, but if you are dedicated to BFing you have to put supply first. Just think of the LIFETIME of benefits your little one will reap! Also, many women hold onto a few extra pounds (5-7ish) until they wean to maintain supply during little fluctuations in your daily intake. It'll drop off when baby is done nursing. Don't sweat it!
  • foxytrotter82
    foxytrotter82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 18 months old and I'm happy with our BFing relationship so far. She wasn't really eating much solids until I cut calories 2 months ago. so now she's cut back on a few nurses, from like 10 (including night time) down to 6. I'm happy that she's starting to eat more solid food instead of completely relying on me.

I've noticed a slight drop but not enough to be alarming... and from what I hear within my local mama group, quite normal for toddler nursing.

When I notice a growth spurt coming on, or teething, or I'm lacking in energy, I don't hesitate to up my calories as much as I need to. Usually in the form of a giant burger with bacon and cheese, and a milkshake. Works every time. Otherwise I eat predominately vegetarian with LOTS AND LOTS of healthy protein and fats (butter, avocado oil etc) and meat maybe once or twice a week, or none at all.

It's normal for nursing to slow, and supply to drop as they get older and self-wean. our body is constantly adjusting levels to produce what our babies need and goes through natural dips for different reasons. That time of the month, ovulation, getting sick, being stressed, foods we eat. etc etc.

Good job mama.