Help! Lean protein while on strict diet for colicky baby

Options
I want to increase lean protein at all my meals and snacks. However, I am exclusively breastfeeding a colicky baby and am not eating the typical sources of lean protein. I can eat chicken and fish but I'm looking for other creative sources. Please, any and all suggestions are much appreciated: breakfast and snacks are particularly challenging!!

I am NOT eating the following foods: nuts, eggs, beans, chick peas, soy, gluten, dairy, garlic, onion, tomato, spicy foods, citrus, caffeine, chocolate, green leafy vegetables. (and there's more I'm forgetting right now from this long list...)

Replies

• foxytrotter82
    foxytrotter82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh mama, That is a crazy diet. Good for you for trying so hard to do the best for your colicky baby. I can't imagine how tough this diet is and how creative you need to be.

Can you do smoothies? with the fruits and veggies you CAN have? it's an easy and quick way to get boost in all your vitamins and nutrition. Look for the leanest plant based protein powder. I found an organic brown rice powder that has 16g per scoop (more than a can of tuna or serving of chicken) non-gmo, all natural, and very low sugar.

I've used the creamy canned coconut milk as a base instead of soy, or almond milk and it's thick and creamy and amazing. lots of healthy fats.

If that does not appeal to you,

I found a few blogs/websites that might give you some ideas.

http://againstallgrain.com/

http://comfybelly.com/

http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-recipes/dairy-free-egg-free/
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Quinoa?
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Turkey? Turkey sausage? Ground turkey? I eat a lot of it when I feel short on protein.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I am NOT eating the following foods: nuts, eggs, beans, chick peas, soy, gluten, dairy, garlic, onion, tomato, spicy foods, citrus, caffeine, chocolate, green leafy vegetables. (and there's more I'm forgetting right now from this long list...)

That is an extremely long list of dietary restrictions, & many of them would be unlikely to impact your baby. Things that may make you gassy, for instance (beans, leafy greens) do not pass those effects through breastmilk. If each individual restriction you have made has not *drastically* improved LO's behavior, it is likely unnecessary. Aside from colic, does your LO have other symptoms of an allergy such as green mucusy stool, excessive gas or blood in the stool? Also, has LO been evaluated for reflux? My son was also very colicky, & it turned out he had a combination of reflux & a casein (dairy protein) intolerance.
  • kozlow27
    kozlow27 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I second the quinoa suggestion.

And great job on giving up so many foods to make sure your LO has breast milk. Not easy, I'm sure, but very rewarding.
  • meghankumar
    Options
    Great, ladies! Thank you for the support and suggestions! Turkey, quinoa and smoothies are all great suggestions, thank you! I put some quinoa in with my oatmeal this morning along with chia, hemp, flax and sunflower seeds. It was definitely filling! Still had a morning snack but not feeling so ravenous as yesterday.

As far as the diet, the colic was so bad and I was so desperate I just cut out everything it could possibly be. It was so terrible and I just had to make radical changes. We changed a lot of variables (diet, probiotics, Zantac, routine etc) all at once so it's hard to know what helped but he's 12weeks today and doing much better!! I was very depressed and loosing my mind so I'm very very grateful but also hesitant to make any changes now.

ShelliFranks- Of the symptoms you mentioned, he only had reflux symptom thus the Zantac. Like your LO, he probably only has reflux and dairy allergy. This week I'll start reintroducing foods one by one every two weeks to see how it affects him. I'm starting with onions so my husband, who has been wonderful cooking and adhering to my crazy restrictions, can start to make some meals we liked pre colic trauma.

Thank you again, ladies!! It makes such a difference to have support, understanding and compassion. You ladies are great!!
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    As far as the diet, the colic was so bad and I was so desperate I just cut out everything it could possibly be. It was so terrible and I just had to make radical changes. We changed a lot of variables (diet, probiotics, Zantac, routine etc) all at once so it's hard to know what helped but he's 12weeks today and doing much better!! I was very depressed and loosing my mind so I'm very very grateful but also hesitant to make any changes now.

ShelliFranks- Of the symptoms you mentioned, he only had reflux symptom thus the Zantac. Like your LO, he probably only has reflux and dairy allergy. This week I'll start reintroducing foods one by one every two weeks to see how it affects him. I'm starting with onions so my husband, who has been wonderful cooking and adhering to my crazy restrictions, can start to make some meals we liked pre colic trauma.

I totally understand the impulse to just "MAKE IT STOP!!" Hahaha. Very glad to hear that he is doing better now, & also glad you will be expanding your diet again! It must have been very difficult & I would hate for you to feel "stuck" with all of that restriction for months on end!