Raw Desserts for Paleo?

Options
Rei1988
Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
Just curious but do any of you use Raw recipes for desserts? Because some of them sound really good! But Idk if the flavors actually translate O.o There seems to be A LOT of cashews involved.

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I just eat Pineapple chunks when available but usually with my meal not after, it would be too much like having a bowl of Ice cream after a meal to me. I have found substituting food combination types and such more trouble than just eating food that is easily prepared and satisfying. I made cookies at Christmas which tasted great out of the oven and I could only eat 2 anyway but the next day they were yuck
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have made a raw cheesecake out of soaked cashews.It was AMAZING!
    I highly recommend trying them out..it's also possible to make cheese from different nuts as well.
    Here is the one I made,she has a beautiful website with loads of amazing recipes..not all paleo but beautiful all the same
    http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2011/01/raw-cashew-dreamcake-2/
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I was on a raw foods kick for a quick minute, and I just love chocolate covered cherries, so I attempted to make a cherry and walnut squares with dates cacao butter, and coconut sugar & flakes. It came out pretty good, but it caused me to binge on the real thing afterwards, so I steer clear from the sweets for now.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Since desserts are generally grains and too much sugar - and the 'paleo' alternatives generally use too much nut/coconut flour and too much sugar, I pretty much avoid the whole 'dessert' category. It's kind of like the 'fake meat' issue for vegetarians - if it is a principle to not eat meat, why then pretend to be eating meat? If the basic paleo principle is "eat animals and plants - and occasionally fruits and roots", why do desserts? Baking is a post-agricultural cooking method, after all - kinda hard to make a cheesecake on a spit over an open fire. ;)

BUT - if we do want to finish a meal on a sweet note, we either have some fruit, or (our favorite) mixed berries in goat yogurt with a dusting of cinnamon.
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    I have little ones that sometimes need a treat so I pop in a couple bananas into the freezer then blend them with a cup of fresh/frozen strawberries (or other fruit), 1/2 c. coconut cream, 1 tsp. vanilla and process in the food processor and add a bit of almond milk if it is too thick....they love it and I don't feel guilty giving it to them. Believe I got this from the Nom Nom Paleo cookbook.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am going to have frozen organic blueberries (not thawed) with coconut milk. It's even better with coconut milk kefir. With or without a dash of cinnamon. It's very much like ice cream in my mind. (I don't know why I didn't have that last night when the ice cream got the better of me!)

I agree that Paleo desserts/baked goods are NO GOOD for me. I will over-eat them just like their conventional counterparts.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    thie question was about raw desserts though,not paleo ones.
    there are some fantastic "desserts" made from nuts and dates,there doesn't need to be sweeteners added or coconut flours/ground nuts.
    I don't see there is a problem from nuts and dates and fruit,especially when those nuts are soaked and raw and not overly processed
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    PaleOMG has some amazing desserts on her blog, I don't think they are bad in a moderate way as long as they don't trigger binges etc.

I have a whole "sex with your pants on" board on pinterest lol http://www.pinterest.com/WeightWars/
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Frozen sliced banana, frozen whole seedless grapes... I don't know if raw can mean frozen, but it works for me!
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I rarely eat "dessert" or fruits because I'm lower carb paleo. I was just curious, for birthdays & holidays.