Handstands

Options
Handstands..does anyone do them daily? I read something that said it is so good for the back among other things. One persons story even said she fixed her herniated neck doing them daily. It's always hard to believe the "it cured me" claims, although it would be great if that happened! Thoughts ?

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I don't do them daily, but I'm sure some people in this group do. Carl?

I do them a lot, and I get enjoyment from them - but cured a herniated disk? How? It may have relieved some of the pain in the neck, but I don't see anyway the portion of the disk moved back. Anything is possible I suppose, but I would need to see proof.

I think what needs to be considered here is why handstands would help the back. Part of it is that it is an inversion. When you bring the pelvis above the shoulders, the spine has a chance to rest and extend (an aside: you know you are taller in the morning? because your spine compresses during the day and has a chance to decompress at night). So, inversions are more likely to help with lower back pain associated with the spine (some lower back pain is muscular in nature, so other poses would be more beneficial).

Also, poses that are classified as inversions: headstand, handstand, elbow balance, and shoulderstand, strengthen the back/core. It takes muscular effort to keep everything moving upward - the longer you can stay in those poses, the more muscular effort you will feel in your core muscles. I find this especially true when you free balance and in some of the more shoulderstand variations.

That's my 2 cents. I'm interested in what others have to say.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I do them often but mostly because I find them fun :) ey do feel good but I would take the "cure" part with a grain of salt :)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    "I don't do them daily, but I'm sure some people in this group do. Carl?"

Hee hee - no pressure then!

Yes, I do handstands daily because for me, going inverted has been a real journey overcoming fear and I find if I take too long between days that old fear factor starts to put me off again. I really need a daily fix of kicking up against a wall and my long term goal is to be able to slowly rise into a free standing handstand.

I don't know about inversions being a cure-all but I do believe it to be so good for the body to do some form of inversion every day to reverse the stresses on the body and inversions are a great way to calm the mind and slow down the breathing, especially in our go-faster world.

I am able to free balance in Tripod Headstand and I can really feel that working into my core.

@YoginiMary - if I am taller in the morning; can I eat more?
  • yoginimary
    Options
    @YoginiMary - if I am taller in the morning; can I eat more?

:laugh: Only if you eat less in the evening
  • nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know there's this "trend" with the chiropractor people of just adjusting the top two vertebrae of the spine (C1, C2 - the axial and the other one). And the rest of the spine will follow? So I wonder if being in an inversion with the head hanging ... like gravity could relieve pressure from the C1, C2 and thus *magic* spine becomes aligned ....

I don't know though. When I do handstands, my neck really isn't free hanging. Im looking towards the ground. And seeing how HEADstand and HANDstand has back, shoulder, neck issues under the contraindications .... I am just going to say that handstands helping back issues is for the most part yoga bro-science. And I am sure that in The Science of Yoga (by William Broad) that he talks about how people get injured in yoga all the time doing things like this!). He's a New York Times guy that always writes negative articles on yoga though.

Or, I wonder if this is just a causation versus correlation thing. Like, if you do handstands what else are you doing? You have to have pretty good alignment in an inversion to hold handstand properly. And handstand is, essentially, mountain pose upside down. So maybe that transfers to their posture when they re-vert from their invert! You're in your posture for like 99% of the day. I cant see how 1% of your day overcoming 99% bad posture. So I wonder if it just correlates well with an improvement with one's posture when you're standing.

Sorry Im totally rambling!

Disclaimer: Not a doctor.

edit: I HAVE heard that TWISTS are really amazing for back issues. And I have a client that was bedridden with back issues for about half a year (older gentleman). And he started yoga after his doctor suggested he try it. And now he considers yoga his daily medicine because he hasn't had debilitating back pain like that since he's started yoga. He does ZERO handstands.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Most of the yoga practices I do include at least a little bit of inversion work. I do like the idea of getting a little in every day to change my perspective, and try to forward my handstand practice, even if it's by a fraction of a millimeter.
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have back problems: scoliosis, spinal fusion, degenerative disc disease (herniated discs and osteoarthritis). I get horrible back spasms if I don't do yoga. Things that are awesome for me are downward dog (oh, so much downward dog), cat/cow, utkatasana, spinal twists, happy baby, and eye of the needle. Savasana is impossible for me. I've tried a modified shoulder stand, but while it felt awesome at the time, there were horrible back spasms later.

I dream of doing arm balances, but if/when I get to that point, I suspect that a lot of why my back will feel even better is that I will not be carrying around so much extra weight and will have an even stronger core.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I know there's this "trend" with the chiropractor people of just adjusting the top two vertebrae of the spine (C1, C2 - the axial and the other one). And the rest of the spine will follow? So I wonder if being in an inversion with the head hanging ... like gravity could relieve pressure from the C1, C2 and thus *magic* spine becomes aligned ....

I don't know though. When I do handstands, my neck really isn't free hanging. Im looking towards the ground. And seeing how HEADstand and HANDstand has back, shoulder, neck issues under the contraindications .... I am just going to say that handstands helping back issues is for the most part yoga bro-science. And I am sure that in The Science of Yoga (by William Broad) that he talks about how people get injured in yoga all the time doing things like this!). He's a New York Times guy that always writes negative articles on yoga though.

Or, I wonder if this is just a causation versus correlation thing. Like, if you do handstands what else are you doing? You have to have pretty good alignment in an inversion to hold handstand properly. And handstand is, essentially, mountain pose upside down. So maybe that transfers to their posture when they re-vert from their invert! You're in your posture for like 99% of the day. I cant see how 1% of your day overcoming 99% bad posture. So I wonder if it just correlates well with an improvement with one's posture when you're standing.

Sorry Im totally rambling!

Disclaimer: Not a doctor.

edit: I HAVE heard that TWISTS are really amazing for back issues. And I have a client that was bedridden with back issues for about half a year (older gentleman). And he started yoga after his doctor suggested he try it. And now he considers yoga his daily medicine because he hasn't had debilitating back pain like that since he's started yoga. He does ZERO handstands.

Interesting about spinal twists being good for spine. I am now nervous to do twisting, because my back went out the first time in a twist. Granted I have a pre existing herniated disc lower back, and my mid back was super tight at the time from shoveling. Maybe my lower back was taking too much because of the shoveling, but now I am left with worry about any twists.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't know about handstands curing herniated discs, but I know that inversions can...on an inversion table, or hanging. The negative pressure around the spine can "suck" a herniated disc back into place. But all the muscles in the back, core, etc must be totally relaxed so that the vertebrae can space out. It isn't going to work for everyone, but if it helps a little, it's better than a spinal fusion! (IMO)
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a question, I'm sorry if it is stupid :blushing:
    I used to do many hand- and headstands when I was younger (around 10-14, loved those), but nearly always an the wall, I can not remember that I had the balance to do them standing away from a wall.

Do you do them all freely? And do you think it is negative if you have to stand near a wall? I absolutely don't have the balance and I think I'll also have to practice the strength on my arms again first :blushing: I'm really just a beginner, I'm sorry.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I have a question, I'm sorry if it is stupid :blushing:
    I used to do many hand- and headstands when I was younger (around 10-14, loved those), but nearly always an the wall, I can not remember that I had the balance to do them standing away from a wall.

Do you do them all freely? And do you think it is negative if you have to stand near a wall? I absolutely don't have the balance and I think I'll also have to practice the strength on my arms again first :blushing: I'm really just a beginner, I'm sorry.

Not a stupid question at all.
    Almost everyone does handstands against the wall - it's not at all negative - it's the only way most people will learn how to do them and build up enough strength to do them freestanding. Same is true for headstands. While some people will do a tripod headstand to balance (hands and head make an equilateral triangle), this is requires more strength in the arms to keep the neck safe. It's even better to start headstand working in a corner, if that's available. Here's some good instruction:
    http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/178

Happy practicing.
  • nenshali
    Options
    That helped me a lot, thanks! :blushing:

I also realized I cannot do them longer than for 15 seconds. That'll need practice. And it is kind of hard to find a place in this house where I can do them properly, everytwhere are framed photos or other stuff that I could break, haha :laugh:

And thanks for this link! The main page is viewable, undercategories aren't. But I just saw that while using a proxy, it's possible again (whyever???) But I will surely go through that page, very helpful! :flowerforyou:
  • readthat
    Options
    How long before anybody here could do handstand without a wall? Just curious, I am still on a wall and probably will be for awhile. I love handstands, not sure I will get into headstands. That just seems hard on the neck.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I can't really do them without a wall for any measurable amount of time. It took me about 12 years to learn to stick it (stop in the middle) - but in the system of yoga I practice handstands are not usually done in the middle of the room. Elbow balance (pincha mayurasana) is much easier to learn balance in. Headstands are the easiest, of course, and are only cause neck pain when done improperly.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Handstands I need a wall for sure head stands though I'm already starting to get it. I have the wall there but try not to use it. I need to touch to correct balance. My headbands all the weight is on my forearms so no pain on the neck at all.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    How long before anybody here could do handstand without a wall? Just curious, I am still on a wall and probably will be for awhile. I love handstands, not sure I will get into headstands. That just seems hard on the neck.

The mistake I think is throwing yourself up into the handstand again and again and hoping that will one day become a stable handstand. The better approach is to build a strong base until eventually you just know the strength and strong base is there to rise into the handstand with control.

so - Bakasana and all the preparatory handstand work that builds strength, suppleness etc., including hamstring stretches and let all of that work take you steadily towards the handstand if that is your goal.

- also - have fun!
  • nenshali
    Options
    I found this video quite useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_-kzA8Lhk8

:flowerforyou:
  • readthat
    Options
    [/quote]
    YogiCarl said "The mistake I think is throwing yourself up into the handstand again and again and hoping that will one day become a stable handstand. The better approach is to build a strong base until eventually you just know the strength and strong base is there to rise into the handstand with control."
    [/quote]

I was thinking about this, how am I going to build balance if I am swinging up into it. Maybe I should try slowly rising into it?
  • readthat
    Options
    I found this video quite useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_-kzA8Lhk8

:flowerforyou:

Thanks! I found that video very helpful!
  • yogicarl
    Options
    YogiCarl said "The mistake I think is throwing yourself up into the handstand again and again and hoping that will one day become a stable handstand. The better approach is to build a strong base until eventually you just know the strength and strong base is there to rise into the handstand with control."
    [/quote]

I was thinking about this, how am I going to build balance if I am swinging up into it. Maybe I should try slowly rising into it?
    [/quote]

Yes - even if your feet don't leave the ground you will be using and finding the muscles needed to do this.

Try this one:
    Face a wall and measure your leg against it. You need to be standing one leg length away from the wall.
    Now turn 180 degrees so your back is to the wall.
    Place your hands where your feet are.
    Place your feet on the wall so your legs are horizontal to the floor.
    You should now be in a handstand position with your upper body but with your legs on the wall.
    Hold this pose to gain strength in the exact muscles needed to handstand.

Drop the shoulders down your back. Squeeze the arms toward each other. Look between the hands. Firm the legs straight.

as this one becomes easier, the handstand will be firmer and safer and feel more comfortable.