What's your favorite nut butter?

Options
Makoce
Makoce Posts: 938 Member
I love eating peanut butter on apples, it's a heavenly godsend.
But Im giving up peanuts, and since they dont follow primal/paleo diet anyway, good bye sugar!

Anyway, I know there's almond butters & cashew butters, but I dont like either of those nuts.

What other nut butters are there, and whats your favorite?
And what brand do you buy if you dont make your own?
( I need a food processor )

Replies

• Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have really enjoyed both coconut and pecan butter from Artisana. I do love cashew butter, you can find it in little single serving packets in some grocery stores so you could try it. I think it tastes better than the actual nut. Anywho, can't think of any other types off the top of my head.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    This is likely going to be a very unpopular opinion, haha, but I could not find a replacement to peanut butter. I just couldn't. I've tried others and despite spending an arm and a leg on different types of nut butters, none of them did it for me.

I tried avoiding nut butters altogether (nuts are full of omega-6's anyways), but I missed it too much (so tasty, convenient, and versatile) so I've recently started eating all-natural peanut butter again. I know it's not great for me, but I haven't noticed any issues since re-introducing it and I figure there are worse things I could be eating.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    This is likely going to be a very unpopular opinion, haha, but I could not find a replacement to peanut butter. I just couldn't. I've tried others and despite spending an arm and a leg on different types of nut butters, none of them did it for me.

I tried avoiding nut butters altogether (nuts are full of omega-6's anyways), but I missed it too much (so tasty, convenient, and versatile) so I've recently started eating all-natural peanut butter again. I know it's not great for me, but I haven't noticed any issues since re-introducing it and I figure there are worse things I could be eating.

I thought maybe sunflower butter or whatever .. but sugar in that too.
    I also dont have many stores around here that carry other nut butters.
    I might try cashew like Lizard said, but yeah .. its hard to replace
    I dont like peanuts by themselves, either. So maybe Id like one of the butters of one of the nuts I dont like.

But I agree .. Im starting to realize in the short time Ive been trying to switch to primal that there are some things that I just cannot give up to stick to the "blue prints", and thats okay, because at least Im making an effort to just be healthier instead of harder on myself.

Ill try some new ones and see how it goes.
    Its hard because Im unemployed at current .. no income .. so all this new groceries Im going to have this week with a shot in the dark whether ill like them or not makes me nervous, haha
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was able to buy some no sugar added sunflower seed butter on amazon. I will sometimes add my own small amount of honey to it. It tastes pretty good. Not peanut butter, but delicious on some apples.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I've tried almond butter and Sunbutter, and so far nothing is as good as PB. :sad:
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Coconut butter and cashew butter. But I rarely ever have coconut butter because it doesn't last long after popping that lid ...
  • Tuesday4422
    Tuesday4422 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Almond butter!!!!!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Almond butter!!!!!

Same
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Any nut that exists can be a nut butter. You just need an appliance that can grind them up adequately. My favourite is macadamia and it's the easiest one to make because of the high fat content (HEALTHY fat!).

Macadamias, especially raw and organic, are not easy to find. But it was worth the effort because the place that I order from also stocks a variety of other sprouted nuts. I've never liked almonds, but these sprouted ones are terrific. They also have sprouted nut butters but the shipping is too much so I can make my own as desired. I have another site that I order pre-made almond butter for my little one's smoothies. Raw and organic. I may stop buying it IF the Vitamix I just ordered can adequately destroy almonds!
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I like Justins Honey Almond Butter. Tastes so much better than Maranatha to me- but it might have some added sugar and I don't know if the oil it uses is paleo... it's tasty though.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I've found I can't stand almond butter. Not lately, anyway.

I still enjoy peanut butter from time to time (not a nut, I know), just peanuts, nothing else. But I also enjoy cashew butter, hazelnut butter and - on the rare occasions I get to try it - macadamia butter.

In a contest, however, coconut butter wins hands down.
  • umekanzah
    umekanzah Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of peanut butter, but i LOVE almond butter. One grocery store chain in our area offers on the spot, freshly ground nut butters and we love getting almond butter this way. They have these huge grinders on site and you can get as much as you want/need on the spot by the turn of a switch. I also recently tried Sunbutter and I am addicted to that too now.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I love cashew butter and sunbutter. I just bought sunflower seed butter without added sugar at whole foods. It's not as good as regular sunbutter but that's probably a good thing because I swear I can eat an entire jar in a sitting(ok, never done that, but just saying). Unfortunately nothing is as good as peanut butter, imo, so I just don't eat too much of the other stuff.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    sunflower seed butter isnt too bad
  • sirenn9
    sirenn9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nut butter is TO DIE FOR!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    But it was worth the effort because the place that I order from also stocks a variety of other sprouted nuts. I've never liked almonds, but these sprouted ones are terrific. They also have sprouted nut butters but the shipping is too much so I can make my own as desired.

Can you give more information about the benefits of sprouted nuts? I heard somewhere that sprouted legumes are, if not healthy, at least not toxic, because the sprouting process destroys the toxic properties.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    But it was worth the effort because the place that I order from also stocks a variety of other sprouted nuts. I've never liked almonds, but these sprouted ones are terrific. They also have sprouted nut butters but the shipping is too much so I can make my own as desired.

Can you give more information about the benefits of sprouted nuts? I heard somewhere that sprouted legumes are, if not healthy, at least not toxic, because the sprouting process destroys the toxic properties.

Apparently sprouting the nuts has the same rationale as soaking/sprouting grains and beans. Better digestibility and less gut irritation. I'm too lazy to sprout them (I would probably forget them and they would get mouldy), and I carefully limit the amount of nuts I eat, so being able to order them already sprouted and dehydrated is awesome. They even taste better than just raw.