Exercise at home

Options
Hi everyone

I am nearly 53 very overweight and unfitt. I have had both hips replaced over 25 years ago so they are getting past their sell by date now, and not being helped by my weight. I can't walk very far at all and get out of breath very quickly. I am looking for something that I can do at home, low impact (my knees aren't god either), to get me going. Then hopefully once I have got "moving" I can go on to something more active.

Ant ideas?

Thanks

Sharon

Replies

• MiniJudy
    MiniJudy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Sharon! Sorry to hear about your physical ails, but I can sooo relate. Slow and steady is the absolute correct way to approach exercise after a long absence. :wink:

I had both knees replaced in 2011, at age 53. Hips are next on the list. Weight piled up for years prior to the surgeries, and now plantar fasciitis is slowing me down. Add in a new puppy and you get a real mix of frustration. :grumble:

A stationary bike will help the hips - and knees as well. Easier on the hips is an elliptical machine (which I use). Before buying anything, see if a gym near your home will let you try the machine(s) for a few days - some offer a try-us-out pass. Also, check to see if your health insurance offers a program called "Silver Sneakers", which will allow free membership to some fitness groups (i.e., Curves for Women).

Hope this helps! Would love to stay connected and share our progress :flowerforyou:
  • MiniJudy
    MiniJudy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ps---love your profile pic :drinker:
  • TreySully1
    TreySully1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try water aerobics. Gentle on the joints and water pressure reduces swelling throughout the body. You can also do weight training under water with great results.

Good luck!
  • Sandranne
    Sandranne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have problems with exercising too. Swimming has always been the only thing that I can do, but now with kids trying to find the time when I am not exhausted to get to the pool is a real barrier. I just went and bought a mini cardio cycle. It can be put on a table and you use your arms to get the cardio.

I just bought it so I don't have any results yet, but I have put it together and tried it out. It really seems like it may be the answer. Not expensive either. I paid $30.

Here's hoping...
  • AnnieRN6
    AnnieRN6 Posts: 48
    Options
    Hi, Sharon, I'm 55 and recovering from a lot of leg surgeries. (Currently it's an ankle issue.) I'm still using crutches, not walking, and in PT. I may not be able to walk, but I can pedal on the exercise bike! It doesn't hurt my knees or hips at all, and I can adjust the rate if my ankle feels wonky. I have a TENS unit, so I can use that before or after exercising to prevent/manage pain. Also, Motrin is great. The key is just to move--even if a lot of your exercise is done sitting. Just do it for a longer period of time. Stick with the eating plan, and trust the process. The more weight I lose toward my goal, the less pain I'm going to have.
  • lucytibs
    lucytibs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Sharon, I am recovering from a triple ankle fusion (the consequence of my celebral palsy) I have found a wheelchair / seated aerobic DVD is great fun and if I do it in my wheeled office chair, is very easy on my hips. I use one called Leanne's Chair Workout but I think that is only available in the UK. Also googling Zumba Gold or Chair Zumba give some great "quick blasts" to get my heart racing during my working (at home) day.
    Good luck, and well done on your progress so far. Lx
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm currently recovering from reconstructive foot surgery due to a work accident. The work accident left me with two badly scarred feet as well as difficulties with walking and standing for even short periods of time as well as chronic pain. I've had numerous surgeries (22 to the right and 15 to the left) and currently waiting to have my left foot re-reconstructed yet again.

I "invested" in a Total Gym - yes the one Chuck Norris demonstrates. I swear by it to lose weight, toning, as well as strengthening. You lift your body weight on a rail-type glider board at an incline. You set the resistance on 6 levels which range from 6% to 60% of your body weight. It's very easy on the joints.

And no this is not an advertisement :smile: I really do use the Total Gym every day. I highly recommend it for people who have limited mobility issues.
  • cherylrthomas
    cherylrthomas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi Sharon, I am just starting to exercise. I use a wheelchair outside my home and a walker inside my home. I have several degenrative spine issues and fibromyalgia and knees in need of replacement. I weigh too much for surgergical options. I am focused on chair exercises at home and want to check out the DVD's mentioned.

Best wishes on your journey.
  • AnnieRN6
    AnnieRN6 Posts: 48
    Options
    H Cheryl! I'm glad to see you here. I just started on February 28, and have a long way to go, but I'm committed. Good job for doing this in spite of pain etc.--you CAN do this. I'm still on crutches for at least the next few months but have found that ANY movement at all is good for losing weight. I can walk for a few minutes at a time, and I can keep track of even a few minutes and plug the numbers into the exercise record. I hope to see you here frequently. Ann
  • Sparky1030
    Sparky1030 Posts: 163
    Options
    CherylrThomas,
    I'm in the same boat as you are; I'm diabetic, very obese and need to have both knees replaced. I've had degenerative arthritis since age 17 and am not 60+ I also have compression in my spine & neck. I am determined to lose enough weight to be able to have the surgery and be in a healthier body. Mobility is an issue for me as I can't walk very far so I do seated exercises. I purchased a great DVD called Stronger Seniors and don't let the name scare you away because it's really for anyone who can only exercise while seated. Anne Burnell is the facilitator and she does a great job with the exercises. I don't do any of the standing ones, but sometimes when I'm at my computer or sewing machine I just keep my feet moving or make up moves of my own. As long as you keep active and get your heart pumping it's great for you and your body. Please feel free to add me as a friend for support. Good luck in your weight loss plan goals. My goal is to focus on one day as it comes.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do qiqong (a milder form of Tai Chi). It is great for starting off slowly when wanting to exercise; apart from the calmness and well-being as well.