Losing Inches?

Options
Carolyn_79
Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
Perhaps someone can explain this to me because I'm really confused. I see a lot of posts from people who are eating in a calorie deficit, the scale is not moving, but they say they are losing inches. What exactly is happening for them to be losing inches? If they're in a calorie deficit, they can't be building muscle unless it's newbie gains so I don't get it. Can someone explain what's happening?

Replies

• aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If they're lifting then odds are they are decreasing their body fat.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Really depends on how much the deficit it. If it's minimal, then they could still be gaining small amounts of muscle because their body will use stored fats for energy, along with losing body fat which would result in losing inches. A lot of them could be newbies to lifting though - I think a lot of people come here from more of a cardio background, so makes sense that when they start lifting and eating right they will be making gains. Some of it could also just be water retention that they're no longer carrying, etc. Really depends on the person...
  • sarahorange55
    Options
    I would have thought that is was simply that people are exercising and such their bodies getting firmer and tightening up - and don't forget that calorie deficit does works for many many people so they could be losing fat too and redistributing things