Mad March workout check in thread

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies Happy Hump day..

jstout sorry to hear about work interferring with life...that sucks.

Great to see new faces welcome.

Quick question what are you all up to in your rest periods??? Just curious ...I know we should not go higher than 5min.

I am 3 1/2 mins on most now...

Workout A for me today...

Staying at 165 on my squats due to form on last set on monday. But didn't have my dinner yet and feeling good so far.

Squats 165 @ 5x5

Benches no spotter tonight so staying at 115 (hit that last workout no issues) and it will give me a chance to get my form A1. Definately gonna send DH up to my dads to get that new bench tho...

Bench 115 @ 5x5 ...last rep on last set...icky icky ...good thing I stayed here...will have to work on that form

Rows failed at 120 last time ...debatign going down to 118.5 ....since I failed on each set...

Rows @ 118.5 started out...not sure wth I was doing didn't feel right so took a small rest and started over...still wasn't feeling right...so took a longer rest....:blushing: stupid barbell math..I had an extra 15lbs on the bar...jeeez.

Now that I am actually in my sets...Im tired...hahaha:sad: :sad: :sad:

Gonna count this as a fail..but do all my sets 5x3...jeez louise.

Only thing that has come up lately is a kick boxing class...it is Tue/Fri/Sun...thinking of doing the Tue/Sun classes..we will see...

On the note of waiting to eat I feel like I had a great workout today again(except the rows but that was me being stupid)...typically wednesdays are crap for me...not sure if there is correlation but will try again on Friday...
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi. I've been doing Stronglifts since about November. I did NROL4W before that.

Right now I'm at

Squat 125 lbs
    Bench press 25 lbs
    deadlift 80lbs
    Overhead press 65 lbs
    Barbell Row 80 lbs

I can probably deadlift more, but I have been lazy at the gym and I have just been using the heaviest barbell in my gym's set instead of putting weights on a bar.

Hope everyone is doing well!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have kind of slacked off on posting workouts so I decided to do it tonight while I'm thinking about it. I did my weekly Upper Body workout.

DEADLIFTS
    Warm Up:
    95x5
    125x3
    155x1

Working Set:
    177.5x5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K8GSnSYlJE

Exciting video (okay, not really). Still got the weird shoulder thing on first pull and very slight back rounding on the last pull, but I'll take it.

BENCH PRESS
    Warm Up:
    60x5
    70x2

Working Sets:
    81x5, 81x5, 81x5

Overhead Press:
    Warm Up:
    45x5

Working Sets:
    58.5x5, 58.5x5, 58.5x5

ACCESSORY WORK

Dips 3x8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ZY1O2YhYI

First set of 8. Crappy camera angle but I am locking out/full extension @ the top

Chin Ups 5, 5, 4, 4

Good workout. Love it when I hit all reps. Next week I'll be back at pre-deload weights. Should be an interesting month to see if I can get a couple of PRs on my cut. So far I haven't lost any strength so I'm very pleased.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    So today I got to the gym and it was super intimidating, even more than I expected. I went there 8:30 pm and it was packed with dozens and dozens huge guys plus a few totally ripped dead gorgeous fitness amazons. I felt totally out of space thee with my bulge fat cottage cheese like body. :( I am not sure I can pass this emotionally. I talked to the girl at the membership desk and she said Friday and maybe weekend evenings are less busy. Next time I check it out on Friday and maybe a big later like after 9 -9:30 pm.

Anyway , they seem to be equipped well, but still lots of waiting . They have 2 squat rack, but both were used and people already was waiting for them. I do not think , I ' ll have the nerve to ask to be in line when these giants are around. They have 2 smith machines and nobody using those. It is really that inferior to use those compare to the regular squat ?

They had 4 bench press bench, 2 flat, 1 incline, 1 decline all with standard 45 lb bar. I tried it, and the 45 lb seems pretty light . I did 5 to see, and it was max warm weight for me. I wish I had a chance to try the squat.

They had barbells for overhead presses with fixed weight . I am not sure what to think about that. Mehdi in the YouTube video emphasize the importance of warmup sets, and I am not sure how to do that when the barbell fixed weight.

Overall it was scary and overwhelming experience, and I felt I just want to be invisible .
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Ah bless you. sounds like you have what I call 'spotlight syndrome', where you think there is a spotlight on you and everyone is watching and judging you. Believe me, they aren't! Unless you do something really stupid/dangerous/loud, they are more busy worrying about the spotlight on them and what everyone else thinks of them!

However, until you've had a proper go and built up your confidence, late nights, Friday nights and weekends are your friend. Sunday mornings are a great time as the bros are all hungover!

and yes, the smith machine is not your friend.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    last night

squats to 77.5kg, knee slide (right knee was griping at me), and could feel the bar trying to tip me over forward. did have a couple of reps where I felt my heels really pushing me up - not something I've felt before so will try to capture and bottle this!

press to 35kg, 5,3,2 but this is close to my previous max

deadlift tried 100kg again, got impatient and greedy. It came up once but then superglued itself to the floor! The only time I've done it for reps was after only 1 top set of squats though. Also forgot to take my shoes off..
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    So today I got to the gym and it was super intimidating, even more than I expected. I went there 8:30 pm and it was packed with dozens and dozens huge guys plus a few totally ripped dead gorgeous fitness amazons. I felt totally out of space thee with my bulge fat cottage cheese like body. :( I am not sure I can pass this emotionally. I talked to the girl at the membership desk and she said Friday and maybe weekend evenings are less busy. Next time I check it out on Friday and maybe a big later like after 9 -9:30 pm.

Anyway , they seem to be equipped well, but still lots of waiting . They have 2 squat rack, but both were used and people already was waiting for them. I do not think , I ' ll have the nerve to ask to be in line when these giants are around. They have 2 smith machines and nobody using those. It is really that inferior to use those compare to the regular squat ?

They had 4 bench press bench, 2 flat, 1 incline, 1 decline all with standard 45 lb bar. I tried it, and the 45 lb seems pretty light . I did 5 to see, and it was max warm weight for me. I wish I had a chance to try the squat.

They had barbells for overhead presses with fixed weight . I am not sure what to think about that. Mehdi in the YouTube video emphasize the importance of warmup sets, and I am not sure how to do that when the barbell fixed weight.

Overall it was scary and overwhelming experience, and I felt I just want to be invisible .

Your gym sounds exactly like mine in terms of equipment! Lol. Except mine is closed after 7. If it's something you could do, it's typically a lot less crowded around 5-7am. Usually people are there before work and are there to workout. A lot less intimidating.

And hey, you're taking a step towards bettering yourself. No one there is going to judge you negatively for that! Everyone's gotta start somewhere! Hang in there and don't let it discourage you.

And yeah, smith machines lock you in a specific bar path. You want to avoid that for most exercises.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    And I was correct in thinking that we would be doing conditioning work last night in boxing class. Circuits again. This time they had every other station as planks. I was so very happy that I had done OHP earlier in the day :noway: So the first two rounds were shadow boxing, planks, turkish get ups with 12kg kettle bell, planks, dumbbell shoulder presses @ 8 lbs, planks, burpies, planks. Then they switched the planks to star holds and made the get ups into flutter kicks, the shoulder presses into situps, and the burpies into planks. 4 rounds in total with 30-60 second intervals.
  • jstout365
    Options

I think Lydia and Krok nailed it in their replies. I have checked out the gym at a few different times that still fit in my schedule and have a better idea about when not to go. It can be difficult to get past the negative voices in your own head. You have to remember that some of those ripped guys or women could have started over weight and unsure as well. They may glance your way, but they probably are not thinking what you think they are thinking. They may not even be looking at you. In fact, most of the time I go, there is very little eye contact with other people lifting. Wear headphones and be in your own lifting bubble. You will be going there for your own health and fitness just like everyone else. And, the more often you go, the more comfortable you will be.

As for the OHP warm ups, you can use dumbbells or one of the bars from the squat rack. Often you will see a seated press bench that will have the 45lb bar with it. If no one is on it, you could use that bar.
  • jstout365
    Options
    Went ahead and got to the gym for bench and rows. Skipped squats since I just did them yesterday and I am already tired.

Bench 5x5 @ 100
    Row 5x5 @ 105 - got most of them to chest, missed the last rep coming up all the way on two sets. Debating staying here one more time. This is about the point I got stuck on last time so it may be time to work in additional work.

Added in 3x15 incline flag pole leg lifts at the end. Called it a day after that because I'm spent. Now time to eat and try not to fall asleep at work.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Just cardio for me today...25 mins on the elliptical at a pretty good pace. I also went into the weight room to do skull crushers. I'm beginning to really like these. Anyhoo, while I was in there, a young guy was squatting 225 lbs with really good form and to parallel, which is the first time I've seen anyone go to parallel in there. He had a guy spot him while he was doing front squats with the same weight. I asked him if they were hard and he said they just frame your back better than back squats and he likes to alternate them because it forms an "awesome collision." He normally does 10x10, total.

I might like to try these. Has anyone or does anyone do them? How do they compare to back squats?
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Failed on my rows today, only got 4 and that 4th one didn't touch (but came close):
    Warmed up progressively before each lift type.

Squat 5x5x75
    Bench 5x5x60
    Row 5x4x80

And 30 lunges each side while holding two 15-pound dumbbells.
  • jstout365
    Options
    Front squats are a great addition. It is easier to get deep in the squat, does work the core differently, and you engage the quads a bit more. I can't front squat the same as I can on a back squat. I haven't done them recently either. I would typically go for 95 lbs front squat to my 130+ back squat. I do have a wrist that is a limiting factor as well since I have to do a crossed arm hold and not the double underhand grip.

Sorry if that makes no sense. I'm realizing that my brain is shutting down right now and I need more food.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

I know how you feel. This is part of the reason why I choose to go to the gym at 6am before heading out to work 2x/week. It's a bit intimidating but once you're there just keep calm! lol that's what I do. I've seen a girl there lifting heavy a few times so that gave me confidence to not feel out of place. My YMCA has three power cages and I recently signed up because every other gym only had smith machines.

And yes the smith machine is very inferior to unassisted bench press. On the Smith machine I can bench 90lbs minus the bar(idk the weight). Now with a normal bench I can only bench the bar which is only 45 lbs! Having the free bench helps with balance as the smith controls everything for you.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Workout A today and week 1 is complete!! 11 more weeks and I'm pumped :glasses:
    Squats 5x55
    Bench 5x45--did the bar again as I'm still working on form and am not confident to move up as of yet
    Row 5x70--I've never done shoulder exercises and earlier my right shoulder was having some difficulties to say the least. I believe it was muscle pain but in any case I'm going to move back down to 65lb and work on my form to make sure everything is cool. I did notice that when pulling up my right arm tends to pull faster than my left arm?? Probably because I'm a righty but in any case I'd like to perfect it to where it isn't noticable.

Workout B on Sunday :)
  • jstout365
    Options
    Squats 5x55
    Bench 5x45--did the bar again as I'm still working on form and am not confident to move up as of yet
    Row 5x70--I've never done shoulder exercises and earlier my right shoulder was having some difficulties to say the least. I believe it was muscle pain but in any case I'm going to move back down to 65lb and work on my form to make sure everything is cool. I did notice that when pulling up my right arm tends to pull faster than my left arm?? Probably because I'm a righty but in any case I'd like to perfect it to where it isn't noticable.

Congrats on completing your first week!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Front squats are a great addition. It is easier to get deep in the squat, does work the core differently, and you engage the quads a bit more. I can't front squat the same as I can on a back squat. I haven't done them recently either. I would typically go for 95 lbs front squat to my 130+ back squat. I do have a wrist that is a limiting factor as well since I have to do a crossed arm hold and not the double underhand grip.

Sorry if that makes no sense. I'm realizing that my brain is shutting down right now and I need more food.

He was doing the cross arm hold. He said he started with 135 and progressively loaded.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Just cardio for me today...25 mins on the elliptical at a pretty good pace. I also went into the weight room to do skull crushers. I'm beginning to really like these. Anyhoo, while I was in there, a young guy was squatting 225 lbs with really good form and to parallel, which is the first time I've seen anyone go to parallel in there. He had a guy spot him while he was doing front squats with the same weight. I asked him if they were hard and he said they just frame your back better than back squats and he likes to alternate them because it forms an "awesome collision." He normally does 10x10, total.

I might like to try these. Has anyone or does anyone do them? How do they compare to back squats?

On my squat day I will do squats, front squats and then paused squats. It's good to get a mix in there to build up your back squat :smile: it's also good for shoulder mobility if you rack it in front like a clean. Also it hits different stabilisers as you are upright plus you can rally go deep on these helping your quads to pull u out the hole :bigsmile: I can't front squat what I can back squat though.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Squats 5x55

Boom! 1st week in the bag :drinker:
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Squats 5x55

Congrats on completing your first week!
    Thank you!!