Fat, fat, fatty, fat

Options
TheGymGypsy
TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
The raw food community seems to be unable to agree on one thing. FAT. I can't seem to understand the science behind eating an extremely low fat diet that is endorsed by leaders of the movement. Dietary fat is essential for healthy body functions. Why do we need to keep it at 10%?

Freelee says "the fat you eat is the fat you wear." This sounds kind of ridiculous to me. I hardly see the harm in eating 20-30% of your calories from plant based fats like avocado and nuts.

Can anyone explain this to me in layman's terms?

Replies

• Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    people don't agree because every BODY is different... and different things work better for different people. some people thrive on 80% sugar. I know I wouldn't! if you do well on 30% fats, as many do... than do that!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    people don't agree because every BODY is different... and different things work better for different people. some people thrive on 80% sugar. I know I wouldn't! if you do well on 30% fats, as many do... than do that!

I totally agree! Personally the fat does not seem to stick to me and it helps me feel full...but the carbs absolutely do :D Although, I've never actually tried following the 80/10/10 thing so perhaps I shouldn't say it wouldn't work for me before I try it. Maybe someday. Also many raw foodists eat plenty of fat if they include raw nuts, seeds, coconut, etc.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    In layman's terms: you're right.

There's no need to maintain strict macro ratios. Maaaaybe if you're an elite athlete with very tight biometric monitoring trying to eek out a 0.01s improvement in your race time then you'd care about the "perfect" diet. For the rest of us, 10%, 20%, 30%, whatever... calories in/out covers 90% of weight management. After that, it's about maximum nutrition, variety and enjoyment.

A lot of disagreement isn't based on much other than the desire to sell books or 'be right'. Of course cutting dietary fat out entirely is a terrible idea. I often add a bit of flaxseed oil to a dish just to make sure I'm eating enough fat.

Anyway, you seem to have pretty good judgement: you should feel free to trust it.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Though I really appreciate Freelee, her science is wrong when it comes to fat. Maybe she is trying to be catchy, but that phrase drives me crazy. And she has had "some" nutritional training. I feel like it's a little misguided. So here is a break down of fat digestion. (Break down! Get it? Nerdy nutritionist joke I guess).

All nutrients go through some kind of conversion to make it bio-available to the body. Fruit is separated into it's basic nutrients before it is absorbed in the small intestine as with anything else. Excess of anything gets converted into fat for storage. Carbs, protein, and fat all are broken down into there smallest forms, if not used, are then converted into fat for storage. If there is an excess of energy, it is stored. There are specific carbohydrate stores as glycogen in the muscles and liver but these are limited. There is no limit for storing excess energies as fat. So the fat you eat- in excess, can be converted into a storage molecule and stored as fat "that you wear". But it is by no means a linear event like she implies.

Fat is an energy molecule that your body uses, it also makes other nutrients like D,E,K,A available for the body to absorb. Make sure your direct fat sources are plant based, and focus on getting mono unsaturated fats (you get plently poly-un from veggies) and I would just enjoy your healthy raw food. If it's a single whole ingredient from the earth, it's fine.

No one is taking away my avocados. :)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    A lot of raw, and for that matter cooked vegan meals and treats use almond cream to replace traditional cream.
    Although I'd always choose almond cream over dairy, nuts are reasonably calorific, as is dairy cream.
    Going overboard on treats loaded with almond cream would still be fattening.
    Just because we aren't using dairy / meat our meals can easily be full of delicious excessive calories too.
    Sometimes people think 'raw' or vegan food = easy weight loss, but it still comes down to making smart choices!
    We do need fat but not excessive amounts, even from great sources!