First 5K: What to expect

Options
GrindingSalt
GrindingSalt Posts: 68 Member
After months of running, training, and building up, it's official -- Sunday morning at 9am, I'll tackle my first ever 5k race.

There's a healthy amount of anxiety about it, but also a ton of excitement.

I didn't see any general threads about this, so I thought it could be useful and fun to have a place to collect tips, stories, experiences, and advice specific to races.

Anyone have any wisdom to share? I don't usually run in the morning but I'm planning on eating a small breakfast (eggs on toast), I've got plenty of safety pins, I've tested out all the things I'm going to wear, and I'm going to focus on starting slow.

Picked up the numbers today : ) One for me, one for my sister. We did C25K together.
12846020625_a56e0f7696_z.jpg

Replies

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You're going to have fun!! Just don't wear anything you haven't run in before & good luck :smile:
  • nh38318
    nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Good luck and happy running!
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    1. Goto sleep early. Or try to. I'm sure your anxieties are running high for this event! Don't worry too much though. Know that you've prepared yourself and trained well.

2. Have everything laid out and ready to go before you goto sleep.

3. When you get up, do your normal routine as much as possible. That is, if you normally eat breakfast, do so. If you normally don't, then skip it, or eat very light. Your eggs and toast should be fine.

4. Get to the race location early. At least an hour early I would advise. You don't want to feel rushed.

5. Once at the race location, use whatever restroom facilities are available as early as you can.

6. When you get ready to line up, ask others what their pace time is to try to find where you should fit in the bunch. You'll probably find that only a few people know this which is ok. If in doubt, position yourself about 2/3 - 3/4 back in the field.

7. When the race starts, start out slow and then speed up over time. You'll spend the first 1/2 mile or so jockeying for position navigating people who were ahead of you that should have ideally been behind you at the start. No worries, its fun passing, just dont go crazy passing at the start, you need to fall into your goal pace as soon as you can so that you can sustain for the duration.

8. About a mile into the race you'll probably start seeing the leaders passing back to the finish. Don't let this discourage you. They are fast. Crazy fast. Remember that this race is you against yourself. You're setting your own PR.

9. On your course, at your loopback turnaround point, feel free to kick up a notch, but dont go all out sprinting yet.

10. At the water station just past mile 2, be careful. I've yet to master drinking water from the cups and felt like I drowned myself during my first race. If you have no experience grabbing and drinking water while running, I would advise against it. Last thing you want to do is learn in a trial by fire situation during your first 5k!

11. Once you cross under the expressway, this is probably the point that I would go into afterburner mode running my hardest to the end.

12. Try not to slow down any until you cross that finish line. As you approach, your mind will be telling you that you're there and to ease up. Just keep pushing.

13. Celebrate your victory. You've earned it. Yes, it's OK to plow down on 1500+ calories in a celebratory meal after a race despite only burning a few hundred calories.

Good luck. And let us know how it went.
  • raelorien
    raelorien Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This is incredibly helpful! My first 5K is in two days and this is excellent advice!
  • Sandia_Sweetie
    Sandia_Sweetie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was going to post this exact same question today! Thanks for sharing everyone.:wink:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    To drink water from the cups:

-Make eye contact or point at a volunteer
    -Grab the cup
    -Thank the volunteer
    -Holding it away from you, so you don't spill water on your shoes, squeeze the top until it forms a crease
    -Use the crease to funnel the water into your mouth
    -Do you best to hit the waste basket

With experience, you can do this on the run but, even then, water slows you down. Don't stop for it unless you really need it.
  • Vaugirard15
    Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    These are really helpful! Thanks, everyone!