Calories for bf mamas

Options
How many calories a day are you consuming? I have read you need 1,500-1,800 to maintain supply (and likely at the higher end). My doc says that is intake regardless of what you do for exercise, but I'm not sure that makes sense to me. I want to lose weight but I want to breastfeed more. Are you ladies taking calories burned into account? I'd think it would be difficult to lose weight if we just ate those calories back. Thoughts?

Replies

• SHenn84
    SHenn84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1400/day but I am not bf. Just try to watch your calories and see how your bf goes. just keep a log so you know calories and food you take in everyday. that way if your supply drops you can make adjustments right away.
  • cmann1988
    cmann1988 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm at 1540 and I log 400 calorie cardiovascular exercise for BF. I think it is a good number for me. I eat 4 small(ish) meals per day.
  • jtmt21
    jtmt21 Posts: 39
    Options
    Cmann are you working out too? Has your supply been ok? Thanks!!
  • ebrady913
    ebrady913 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research into this because I also want to breastfeed more than I want to lose weight. Breastfeeding itself (or the process of making the milk) burns about 500 calories per day according to several sources. One MFP thread suggested that you burn 3 calories per minute of breastfeeding (which ended up being right around 500 calories for the day when I timed it...)

So I add that to my cardio every morning so I have more calories to eat than MFP would give me.

I just started the 30 DS (today is Day 2 for me so I'm behind because I had to be medically cleared to exercise) and while jumping jacks were painful even though I had just fed LO, I don't see it being an issue. I have been keeping track of calories with MFP for 9 days now and my supply is still fine!
  • jtmt21
    jtmt21 Posts: 39
    Options
    How many calories are you shooting for in a day?

I have to go by the 500 estimate bc LO loves to comfort nurse, and we would be at 900 calories a day by the 3 per minute estimate. Ha! I wish!
  • cmann1988
    cmann1988 Posts: 38
    Options
    Yes I try and do 20-30 min exercise at least every other day. Supply has been great. I eat oatmeal with flax seed every day too.