Strength Standards Website

Options
elg1982
elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
I saw someone post this elsewhere today, and it seemed really cool: http://www.strstd.com/

I'm at "untrained" at benchpress and deadlift, novice on overhead press, and intermediate with squats.

Does this mean I've been training unevenly? Is this dangerous? Should I stop adding weights to squatting until I catch up?

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    No, don't slow down on your squat progress. This is a good guide as to potential 1 rep max. Everyone has a strongest lift, for you that's squats. Everyone also has that one lift that lags behind or stalls more often. You can't train unevenly if you are doing the program as specified. Remember, you squat twice as much as the other lifts so you will progress faster by default. You may see this as a good opportunity to find some accessory work that can help bring your bench and DL numbers up faster.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks! When I read NROL4W, the author talked about how some people can train unevenly and it can be bad, but I guess he meant training biceps and not triceps or quads vs hamstrings.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yes, uneven training usually refers to doing one muscle without training the opposing companion muscle.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Is the link in the first post just a more personalized/accurate version of this?

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Cool website, thanks for posting!

For inputting reps, do I put 5 (as in one set) or 25 (as in 5 sets of 5)? If I put in 25, I look pretty good!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    they are sets of 5, so you should write 5. lol

That's one thin gI like about Wendler and the + sets though, as opposed to 5x5. You get to go all out at a certain weight and not just keep it in the tank for the following sets, so the 1rm estimate is probably closer (unless you actually, y'know, only do 4 reps, or grind out the 5th, in which case your number should be fairly accurate).

Eventually you'll stall on some lifts and progress on others. And upper body lifts take a little longer to bring up, especially for women, so don't worry too much about it. As long as you're not doing all push and no pull, or all upper body and no lower body, you're not training "unevenly" :)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Thanks krokador. Still pretty good results with 5 reps I think. After I complete the 12 weeks of 5x5 I'm going to assess which program I want to do next. Something like 5/3/1 seems more feasible long term.