Shoes

Options
ElvisBaby88
ElvisBaby88 Posts: 161 Member
Hello...just wondering what style shoes you are wearing?! I have a dress fitting soon and I need to buy my shoes so I can bring them to my fitting! I am torn between my love of heels and practical toms. The heels I like are a name brand, ivory to match my dress and a few hundred dollars...the flats I am thinking about are toms, in a color to match my bridesmaid dresses, and something I can wear all summer long! I just don't know if I should splurge on expensive shoes I will only wear once...or something a little more causal that I can wear multiple times (and a lot cheaper)?! Thoughts?!

Replies

• MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have ceremony heels and reception flats. I got both on clearance from a shoe store and made them match what I had envisioned. Maybe get cheaper shoes than the ones that will cost a few hundred and do something fun (and cheap!) with them? That way you can have Toms for dancing AND cute heels?

I wanted to find a link but the new Weddingbee is TERRIBLE so my photos appear to have disappeared...

ETA: hopefully this works: strassed_shoes_BOTH.jpg
  • ElvisBaby88
    Options
    Wow...they are so cute! Did you bling them yourself?!
  • MrsK20141004
    Options
    I did. So for both pairs, aside from my time it cost about $100. The heels were on clearance for $30 and the flats were $20. The crystals were $40 total I think and I have a ton left over. Glue was $6 a tube and the tool I used was $10 from Amazon. So you may not need to spend a couple hundred to get some shoes that are totally you :wink:

You could also mix Mod Podge and loose glitter and cover a pair of shoes to make them your colour (though ivory would be tough if you wanted that colour). I did the soles in blush pink and already had those supplies for another project.
  • winley87
    winley87 Posts: 32
    Options
    Ellen, what's your plan for dealing with the height difference on the flats vs. the heels? I was going to do the same thing but I got talked out of it by the bridal salon because they said my dress would be too long if they hemmed it for the heels and too short if they hemmed it for the flats.

:(

P.S. Your shoes are so fun and I love 'em!
  • robingoblin
    robingoblin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've also been wondering about this! First of all, I'm not very graceful (especially when I'm nervous), so stilettos are a no go. The ceremony will be on the grass, so the shoes need to be stable. I'd love a chunky heel, but I'm worried my feet will hurt a few hours in! How do I balance comfort with femininity and the desire to look tall and lean?! Maybe platform wedges are a solution? Any brand suggestions? (FYI I love modcloth style)
  • MrsK20141004
    Options
    Robin! Wedges would be so fun! One with a fun pattern or a design on the heel. If you like heels though you can get things to stop them from sinking into the grass, gives the shoe a bigger area in the heel to prevent sinking. Toms has some REALLY cute wedges and you could do some DIY magic if you wanted to spice em up!
  • MrsK20141004
    Options
    Winley, my FMIL is my seamstress and she has suggested meeting somewhere in the middle but I'm 100% okay with the dress being a little too long. I typically take my shoes off anyways so its not a huge deal to hold the dress up, for me.

If we meet in the middle my shoes will poke out while walking down the aisle which i am okay with because it will just be a tiny difference. I didn't spend 58 hours on them so they couldn't be seen :wink:

In the end, I'm not sure what will happen, I'm imagining my dress sliding down a little bit so the problem will work itself out I think . If all else fails, maybe my feet will be numb and I can wear the heels all night long!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I was going to make mine on Shoes of Prey - always wanted a pair! (they do wedges robin) but then I saw and fell in love with these:

99fdc641b1f1dc509d3f287e547f4188.jpg

:heart:

I saw a fabulous pair like yours Ellen from Karen Millen. Very talented making those! I'm not patient enough! lol :smile:
  • robingoblin
    Options
    Thanks ellen and cal28! Oh gosh, I love this thread.

If anyone's interested, I made a pinterest board for some of my favorite wedding shoes. Some are really funky (perhaps too much so?) but they prioritize all night comfort and stability. Ha!

http://www.pinterest.com/tiptaptaupe/wedding-shoes/
  • winley87
    Options
    Just started following your board, Robin. This is GREAT. I've been killing myself trying to find comfortable shoes with a low heel and you've got a board all set up with everything I need!!
  • Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Luvs_Rage_Phish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing nude patent leather wedges - very simple. I figure no one is really going to see them so they can be a little plain - and my bridesmaids will be in nude shoes too so I'll match them. I'm going for the wedges so I have more support throughout the day. If I'm going to be standing in shoes for 12 hours I might as well be as comfortable as possible.
  • ElvisBaby88
    Options
    I really love the wedge idea...trying now to decide on a fun color or to go classic ivory?! Is anyone doing shoes as their 'something blue' thought that was cute but I don't know if I would ever wear the blue shoes again?!
  • Cal28
    Options
    Blue shoes can always be worn!! I have a rainbow of shoes :-) There are lots of different shades of blue too...?

I'm hoping I'll get some earrings for my Birthday (4 days before the wedding!) that will be my something blue.

Nice to have matching shoes L_R_P :-) I was using it as an excuse to increase my collection, lol. I actually bought Orange ones first but then my bridesmaid picked a pink dress so I had to change to the gold sparkly ones!

44583940kn_12_f.jpg

Winley - My bridesmaid just bought 'Schuh - Red or Dead - Lindy Hop Glitter' shoes. I have them in black and they're super comfy.

1258087660ex_main.jpg
    Ahh shoes :happy:

Keeping with the glitter theme I also liked these:

1fcdfd2d09a4f652f101592b1a476183.jpg

My (non secret, lol) wedding board is: http://www.pinterest.com/charlieromeo/wedding-ideas/
  • winley87
    Options
    I've been looking for blue for something blue or purple (to match my bridesmaids). Blue is surprisingly a lot easier to find. I think it would be cute to do because everyone will just see a little pop of it beneath my dress, and we're skipping the whole garter thing.
  • Cal28
    Options
    Yeah we're skipping the garter too. Blue shoes will be great! :-) have you seen any yet?
  • ElvisBaby88
    Options
    sooo....I bought my shoes last night!!! My dream designer shoes went on a surprise sale last night (65% off)...and I totally bought them...without hesitation! Feels so good to have that out of the way! They are Kate Spade Ivory with a 2.75" heel and then I am going to buy a fun pair of crochet TOMS for dancing...I was going to buy them anyways for everyday flats so it is a win-win!
  • winley87
    Options
    Yeah we're skipping the garter too. Blue shoes will be great! :-) have you seen any yet?

I saw a few when I went to a big local mall and looked in EVERY DANG SHOP!! By far the best place to find them has been online, but then you have to wait for them to be shipped to you to try them on.

I found a pair of purple heels from Zappos that I looove but I need to send them back for a half-size smaller. Apparently they have a really good return policy, so I'd recommend checking there!
  • Cal28
    Options
    I'm terrible for online shopping (especially shoes!)

Websites I use (I'm originally from UK)
    www.kurtgeiger.com
    www.schuh.co.uk
    www.asos.com
    www.yoox.com
    www.topshop.com
    www.dune.co.uk
    www.shoesofprey.com
    www.office.co.uk
    www.modainpelle.com
    Amazon (of course!) lol
    Aldo
    LK Bennett
    French connection

Sure I've missed a few too....

Hope the half size difference works! :-)
  • robingoblin
    Options
    Update:

Blah, my most recent shoe purchase (a summer sandal) was from a brand I'm considering for my wedding shoes. It was kind of a test drive before I actually invested in a wedding shoe. They were supposed to be on the comfortable side of the spectrum when it came to shoes, but I've got a bunch of MASSIVE painful blisters! For the past few days! That won't do at all.

Clearly I'll have to stick to the ultra comfort shoe brands that I've tested before. (Aerosoles, Clarks, Naturalizer, etc) Unfortunately they're not very pretty, and even with the best brands, individual shoe shapes will be uncomfortable for me no matter what... Maybe I can bling out a comfortable, plain pair like Ellen did. :)
  • Cal28
    Options
    My wedding shoes were comfy & I only wore them around the house once before the big day. They were from LK Bennett. x