Thinking of joining an O.A Group

Options
Hello. I have been off and on with using mfp for a while and today is one of those days that I am "getting back on track AGAIN" : ). I also have been thinking of attending an O.A meeting for quite some time now. I think it would help me work through my "emotional eating" addiction. What experiences have others had with O.A? What has been helpful with attending O.A meetings? I have joined WW and quit probably over a dozen times. I think O.A. might be the path I need to take.

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Hi NewMe,
    I think it would be a great idea to attend a meeting to determine if you are a COE. If you are, then you'll find that working with a sponsor and the 12 steps of recovery would be extremely helpful in identifying and addressing your underlying addiction issues. There are all makes and models in OA meetings, but you'll be able to relate to others' experiences. My first few meetings were really uncomfortable and I felt awkward, like I didn't belong. Over time it has gotten better.

My experience has been enlightening, scary and all other emotions in-between! Because we consider COE as a disease of the mind, we have to be mindful of it on a daily basis, which is why "one day at a time" is our mantra!

I hope your journey brings you discovery and clarity.

CC
  • purplybob
    purplybob Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I am newly back to OA myself...had gone to meetings for 4-5 months last year but didn't stick with it. What I like about OA is the people I met who are dealing with the same problems I deal with. I have received a lot of love and acceptance. The 12 Steps of OA worked with a sponsor can definitely bring about freedom - it's all about getting connected and using the tools of the program...one day at a time. Good to see you here and keep coming back! :)
  • brilliantcoe
    brilliantcoe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    In my meetings the format says to go to 6 meetings to determine if OA is for you. If you go to the Overeaters Anonymous website there is a checklist of questions. I am definitely a compulsive overeater. I can't stay on a food plan through will power alone, or use MFP even with group support - I need the 12 steps and 12 traditions of OA. I have to use OA's 9 tools, which include meetings. I go to a face to face meeting daily, I find it very useful for my recovery. I have to do step work - I am on step 4. I also have a plan of eating - I use MFP to record my food which I weigh and measure. I use the telephone to reach out to my fellow COEs. I write and read OA literature which helps me heal, one day at a time, from my physical, emotional and spiritual malady. Because of Overeater's Anonymous, I am able to follow my food plan and exercise.
  • NewMe1year
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! It has been very helpful! There are only 2 OA meetings available in my area. They are also in 2 different locations. I should probably give both of them a try and see which one is a better fit... maybe I will like both and attend both of them! I will also look into the check list to see if I am a COE.... but I pretty much am sure that I am. Food has become my addiction and it seems to become more and more out of control. I also appreciate the feedback on attending 6 meetings to see if OA is right for me. I would be the one that would attend one meeting and not go back if I felt out of place or uncomfortable.
  • NewMe1year
    Options
    Ok, I did the "Is OA for you?" check list... and I answered yes to every question but 1.
  • purplybob
    purplybob Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Some people who live in areas where there aren't many OA meetings also go to AA meetings for their compulsive overeating (there are a ton of them no matter where you live) and mentally substitute "food" when people say "alcohol", "eating" for "drinking", etc. Same steps...same solution.
  • NewMe1year
    Options
    Good idea. My Church also has a "Celebrate Recovery" group that is for "hurts, habits and addictions". I could check that out too. It just feels awkward since I know so many people in there. It also feels awkward because I am a therapist and help others for a living...but I guess even therapist's have their own issues too.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Good idea. My Church also has a "Celebrate Recovery" group that is for "hurts, habits and addictions". I could check that out too. It just feels awkward since I know so many people in there. It also feels awkward because I am a therapist and help others for a living...but I guess even therapist's have their own issues too.

You are human, so it's to be expected that you have issues like the rest of us. I have a lot of respect for therapists because many of you take care of our mental well being before yours.
    I know that uncomfortable feeling of knowing someone in a meeting. I was the secretary at an AA lunch-time meeting and someone from my company (former company), who held a high-ranking position showed up and spoke candidly about their addiction. It was the most uncomfortable feeling and I squirmed in my seat the entire time! The person never came back to the meeting, and never spoke to me about the meeting. AWKWARD!!
  • NewMe1year
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback CitizenCave!! It's like I don't want others to know about my addiction.... but kinda hard to hide it when I am as overweight as I am...ha ha : )
  • leanneb59
    leanneb59 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went back this year to OA and go to a F2F weekly. I have also found that podcasts found on the link below are very helpful on a daily basis.

http://www.oalaig.org/speakers-podcasts/oa-speakers.html
  • brilliantcoe
    brilliantcoe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The podcasts are awesome! There are also virtual meetings by phone and online. The phone meetings are listed on the OA website too.
  • blackthrux
    blackthrux Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have also found that podcasts found on the link below are very helpful on a daily basis.

http://www.oalaig.org/speakers-podcasts/oa-speakers.html

Thanks for the link to the podcasts.