Running to/from work

Options
UrbanRunner81
UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
Does anyone commute by running? I work 2 miles away if that, but I think I'd like to run from work and was wondering if anybody else does. I thought maybe I could start my run earlier by leaving work just running and making a route from there. I have backpacks but they are bulking and not easy to carry running. I was thinking maybe a day hiking bag of some sort.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I commute to and from work by running sometimes when it's nice outside. I carry a camel-back hydration pack (which I removed the bladder from and put my work things in) when I do. I have about a 7 mile run, so I only do it once a week and when the weather is nice, but I've found it's something I look forward to in the warmer months. I like the camel-back because it's made for running and has never bothered me even when packed full of stuff. Also, when I go for super long runs I can use it as a hydration pack by just putting the bladder back in. I've found that a dress, leggings, and ballet flats roll up and fit in there just fine alongside wallet, phone, and keys. I don't think you could fit a whole pants and top combo in a hydration pack though.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My run/commute is 5 or 6 miles one way depending on my route. Because I usually do it with my daughter in the jogger I usually only do it one way and take the train the other way. I prefer running to rather than running home, but I'll do either. I have dresses I got from Athleta and Title Nine that are pretty much wrinkle proof and look professional. I roll them and stick them in my hydration pack. I keep my shoes at work. I also keep my gym bag at work with a towel and toiletries. In the summer, as I'll be in marathon training mode, I'll either pull the double for a 10 mile day or I'll just do the ride home and make the route longer. I do have the luxury of putting extra stuff in the cargo carrier of the jogger, but i do it sparingly as my 4 yearold is the size of a seven year old and rather heavy.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't live close enough to my work to be able to run it. But, I have thought about it during runs that I do after work. I am military, so sometimes I end up just doing my run after work and bringing my workout clothes with me, and I have had plenty of "What if..." day dreams while running to have it planned out if I did live close enough. For me, my boots and cloths and stuff would just make it too cumbersome and ackward and heavy to run with, so my options would be alternating running to and from. Driving into work one day and running home at night, then running in the next time and driving home. We have a shower at the station so I could just bring shampoo and stuff to keep at the station.

Yeah...I have thought about this a lot lol.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My work is exactly 15.41 miles one way. I know this because I have ran there numerous times. But not before a shift, pretty sweaty. I just like running across town, then my husband picks me up or a co worker drives me home. So, no, it's not realistic for me to do this as an alternative to driving to work. But it is fun
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure if I can fit much in my camelbak. I really can't wear skirts/dresses at work. Well daylight savings this weekend so I will have more daylight in the evening. I can't run to work, nothing to really clean up with.

thanks!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Does anyone commute by running?

I've never run to work but I have cycled in various situations. The longest was 20 miles each way so I ended up sometimes cycling both ways, sometimes having my then wife pick me up in the evenings as it was on her route home from work.

More recently it's been 5 miles to the station, an hour on the train then 3-5 miles at the other end.

The main things has been being able to get a shower when I get there. It's always been easy enough to leave a washbag, towel and suit and boots so that I'm only carrying shirt and underwear as well as my laptop, notebook etc.

At the moment my office is near the South Banks of the Thames in London so lunchtime 5Km runs are practical.
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I cycle in on a Monday with five tops for the week, and all my lunches (usually soups) in my panniers. I live 3.1 miles away (good number for someone as OCD about distance as me! I then run the rest of the days there and back, until Friday pm when I take all my worn tops home on my bike (which stays locked up at wwork for the week. Sometimes I'll use the bike to get home in the week and bring it back the following morning, if I want an easier day. I keep my suits at work in a wardrobe that others use for coats!

I use a very small camelback with the bladder taken out. on the way I carry underwear, and a clean top and sports bra and socks for the journey home. On the way back I carry my sweaty stuff from the mornings run.

It means I get to do 10km a day in the time I was taking to get to work anyway...

Usually the morning run is recovery, and the run from work is fast (as I have to get to school to pick my son up) and sometimes I set off earlier in the morning to do a longer session with some hills thrown in around Nottingham Castle!

We don't have showers at work - I just have to wash, so it's a bit grim - but needs must....
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My weekday run schedule is Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and it's 6.5 miles to work if I took the most direct route but I usually need to get more in than that so some days I do a round trip and others I don't. I have to pre-plan the clothes for the 3 days and bring in/take home on Mondays and Fridays because I don't like to carry a heavy pack on the run. I have access to showers at work so that's not a bit deal.

Run commuting is great. I have to get the run in anyway and it saves me bus fare. It just takes some planning.
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    I ride my bike to work quite a bit once the ice is gone. I don't get as sweaty riding my bike. I want to stop taking the bus to work anyway and on days I don't need to run I will ride my bike.

Maybe I will take clothes to work and leave them there and only carry my wallet and keys home and on days I don't run home I bring them home.

I think I may walk to work in the mornings and run home a few days a week.
    Thanks for you all for the suggestions. :)