New(ish) to the Group

Options
Hi ladies! I joined this group a while ago but haven't been very active. My goal is to connect more with you all and participate better in this group.

Feel free to add me as a friend as well. I do log in most days (not quite as great about it on the weekends) and I try to comment on status' more than hitting the "like" button.

I look forward to interacting with you all, learning a few things probably, and seeing some of the amazing results in myself an all of you!

I realized I should probably add a little about myself!

My name is Alyssa and I live in Minnesota. My current weight is right around 155 with my goal weight being 140-145.
Originally my goal weight was 150, but the closer I get to it the more I feel like I want to lose just a little more. Has anyone else been there? I have a feeling that when I get close to 140 I might start thinking I want to get down to 130... I am 5'6" and according to a lot of the charts I find, at 150 am technically at a healthy weight.

I work a full time desk job but love to be active when not at work. I ride horse, lift weights, run (getting back into it after a hip injury last year), and my fitness goal for this summer is to do a Triathalon (Sprint distance) in August.

Replies

• GSXRGIRL61
    GSXRGIRL61 Posts: 6,297 Member
    Options
    Hi crash_aly! I understand completely about rethinking goals when we get closer to them. I've rethought mine a couple of times and decided to lose a little more weight. I, too, am 5'6". Also, I did a couple of triathlon sprints to raise money for Girls on the Run. It's an awesome way to get in shape. Welcome!
  • GSXRGIRL61
    GSXRGIRL61 Posts: 6,297 Member
    Options
    You don't just "ride horses" ; you barrel race!!!! That's way cool!
  • crash_aly
    crash_aly Posts: 112
    Options
    Thanks! I love barrel racing! It was either that or I was going to go into jumping...well it's easier to find barrel races around where I grew up than jumping competitions!

I was sitting here thinking how awesome it is that you ride motorcycles, and rockets at that! I have always wanted to learn! I've ridden a couple dirt bikes and drove a friend's Harley around the block once (without killing it!).

I am very nervous about the idea of doing a tri! It's months away and I am already starting to have dreams about it. I haven't been on a bike since I was a kid (I am now 26) and even back then I would ride my horse almost everywhere rather than bike! I'm not to worried about the open water swim, growing up in Minnesota means most of my swimming experience has been in lakes. I have a pretty competitive spirit as well, so the idea of coming in dead last freaks me out. It's one thing to do a 5k, you see all sorts of people at those events (especially the fun focused ones I've done), but I am under the impression that only super-athletes do tris!
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies :)

I'm also 5'6" and change my mind all the time on how much I want to weigh. HA I'm 135 hoping to get to about 20% body fat so that should be around 125.

I'm also into extreme sports, but for me its mountain climbing/rock climbing!

Feel free to add me :) I could always use more friends who understand how slow these last few pounds are!
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    I agree I get to 145 I want to be 140 then 135 the maybe 130 next it's like wow what's being in the 120's like, that's why I'm trying to focus on recomp and it's a slow process, hopefully I'll get there or at least close
  • crash_aly
    Options
    LT: Rock climbing sounds like so much fun! I don't really like heights that much but I still would love to try it. Maybe I should start with an indoor wall and go from there! You look great in your pictures but I completely understand wanting to lower the BF%. I think I would be a lot happier in the 140's if I could get my body fat % down. Granted all my stats are considered in the "healthy range" according to my doctor...but I know I can do better.

Frodo: I am sure you can get there! I think it's smart that you are focusing on recomp now. Sometimes I talk to other women that are not happy with their bodies but it isn't a weight issue, it's something that lifting weights and possibly gaining some muscle would help!

Lately, for me a hurdle is my family. I am a bit heavier than the rest of you at 155, but my family and friends are already lecturing me and telling me not to lose any more or much more weight. I have really wide set hips and a smaller shoulder base (pear shaped, I believe they call this). My grandma thinks that if I lose any more weight I will end up looking too small on top but I do weight train so I am starting to see more muscle definition, especially on top where I carry less fat and I think that if I continue to lose that I won't look to disproportionate. I should probably get some clearer full body pictures posted.

I don't think I would look healthy if I got into the 120s, just with my frame. I would love to maintain in the 130's possibly 140's. It all depends on how I feel when I get there!
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    LT: Rock climbing sounds like so much fun! I don't really like heights that much but I still would love to try it. Maybe I should start with an indoor wall and go from there! You look great in your pictures but I completely understand wanting to lower the BF%. I think I would be a lot happier in the 140's if I could get my body fat % down. Granted all my stats are considered in the "healthy range" according to my doctor...but I know I can do better.

Frodo: I am sure you can get there! I think it's smart that you are focusing on recomp now. Sometimes I talk to other women that are not happy with their bodies but it isn't a weight issue, it's something that lifting weights and possibly gaining some muscle would help!

Lately, for me a hurdle is my family. I am a bit heavier than the rest of you at 155, but my family and friends are already lecturing me and telling me not to lose any more or much more weight. I have really wide set hips and a smaller shoulder base (pear shaped, I believe they call this). My grandma thinks that if I lose any more weight I will end up looking too small on top but I do weight train so I am starting to see more muscle definition, especially on top where I carry less fat and I think that if I continue to lose that I won't look to disproportionate. I should probably get some clearer full body pictures posted.

I don't think I would look healthy if I got into the 120s, just with my frame. I would love to maintain in the 130's possibly 140's. It all depends on how I feel when I get there!

You should totally climb, its a great work out and a LOT of fun! I rode horses a little when I was younger and its so much fun!! Some of my close friends now have horses, I should get out and ride more!!

As for friends/family, I got really frustrated when I first started because EVERYONE had an opinion and everyone was telling me not to lose weight because I'd be too skinny. The thing is, when I showed them photos of me at a previous weight, they all thought I looked healthy, so, sometimes when you tell people you want to lose weight, they think you want to look like a victoria's secret model. So do what is healthy and what you think is right, keep in mind, if you go too skinny, you can always gain it back :)
  • pamhv
    pamhv Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It seems I'm right there with you all. I am 5'8" and 160. My goal weight is 145, but that seems difficult for me to get to. Right now shooting for the 5%, so about 8-9 lbs and we will take it from there. I have done this so many times, just want to do it right for once and be done with it.
  • crash_aly
    Options
    Definitely do some riding! Even as a seasoned horse person, the first ride in the Spring reminds me of which leg muscles I need to do more strength training with! It's a ton of fun too! We even used to take the horses swimming!

There is an REI near me that I should check out the rock wall at! The closest I have ever come is probably climbing some short walls while out hiking. And nothing all that extreme, just little walls to get a better view of the area or for fun.

That's a very good point, I can always gain some of it back if need be! Although with strength training twice a week, sometimes more, I don't think I will get the super model skinny look going! I went vegetarian back in high school and didn't do my research so I got very thin and sickly looking...I think that's what my family associates me with now when it comes to losing weight.

Pam: I can relate to having done this so many times. My weight has always yo-yoed to some degree. I think the biggest thing is taking it off slowly and making changes that become habits instead of fads. You can definitely do it! One day at a time :)
  • amber6108
    amber6108 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I am about 5'4 and 124-125 lbs would like to be 115-120 and toned. Hopefully that's realistic. I don't do any sports or much of anything but would like to go hiking and bike riding more. I really want to get into snowboarding and rock climbing (indoors first).I'm currently doing ripped in 30, going to the gym, and starting Pilates today. My wedding is in 2.5 months and my dress fitting is two weeks from today!! Lots of work to do before the fitting:/