Squat uneveness

Options
quackmunch
quackmunch Posts: 20 Member
Hi all :)

I'm new to stronglifts (just finished week two at twice a week) and I'm hoping someone can help me with my squat technique. My husband and I are working out together so we can point out technique issues to each other and he's pointed out an issue with my squats which I'm not sure how to fix.

So far I'm squatting with 45kg, so not huge weights, and can get down fairly far and manage to keep most of my form apart from one knee. When I'm coming up again one knee seems to be less stable than the other and tilts in slightly. I don't feel pain or discomfort with this but I'm worried it's throwing my form off.

I don't remember ever hurting this knee or anything and as far as I know it isn't weaker than the other, well that I've noticed! Apart from being super aware and trying to keep them even, does anyone have any tips or advice on improving this at all?

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the group :bigsmile:

Its hard to tell exactly without seeing, if you can post a vid that would be helpful.

Knee collapse tends to happen from one or a combo of weak hips, tight ankles, or a weak quad as its only happening to one side there is just probably an imbalance in strength somewhere. Is the knee caving on your non dominant side?

Does the knee cave happen when you squat BW? make sure you have full range of motion (i.e. breaking parallel) if you can't break parallel on a BW squat there is possibly some ankle tightness to work through (google ankle mobility stretches)

Second test, one leg squat as deep as you can on the side you don't have an issue with. Do this by keeping torso upright and squat straight down with your other leg behind you and then repeat for the leg giving you issues.

If the knee then totally collapses inwards then the issue is probably weakness in the hip/glute area.

Make sure that when you are squatting point your toes outwards and as you descend push your knees outwards, also glute bridges / single leg bridges can be used to strengthen your hip / glute

if you have access to a light resistance band you can place this around your knees, just below knee caps and work on BW squats pushing your knees out against the band.

Also google hip mobility drills to give you some ideas for warming up and flexibility.

Hope that all makes sense :drinker:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    are you shoving your knees out (think of trying to push them outside your feet - you won't be able to but it's the feeling you want) as hard as you possibly can throughout the whole squat?

can you get some video?

and hi! :)
  • quackmunch
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the group :bigsmile:

Its hard to tell exactly without seeing, if you can post a vid that would be helpful.

Knee collapse tends to happen from one or a combo of weak hips, tight ankles, or a weak quad as its only happening to one side there is just probably an imbalance in strength somewhere. Is the knee caving on your non dominant side?

Does the knee cave happen when you squat BW? make sure you have full range of motion (i.e. breaking parallel) if you can't break parallel on a BW squat there is possibly some ankle tightness to work through (google ankle mobility stretches)

Second test, one leg squat as deep as you can on the side you don't have an issue with. Do this by keeping torso upright and squat straight down with your other leg behind you and then repeat for the leg giving you issues.

If the knee then totally collapses inwards then the issue is probably weakness in the hip/glute area.

Make sure that when you are squatting point your toes outwards and as you descend push your knees outwards, also glute bridges / single leg bridges can be used to strengthen your hip / glute

if you have access to a light resistance band you can place this around your knees, just below knee caps and work on BW squats pushing your knees out against the band.

Also google hip mobility drills to give you some ideas for warming up and flexibility.

Hope that all makes sense :drinker:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The knee giving issues is my left knee...I'm left handed but I'm not sure if this is also my dominant foot I'll have to check that out! I'm only new to weight training, what does BW mean? Sorry if it's a stupid question!

I'll try the things you've suggested and see how I get on with those, hopefully it'll help me out. As I mentioned I'm not finding any pain or discomfort during the squat but I'm worried I'm causing myself some damage I'm not aware of yet.
  • quackmunch
    Options
    are you shoving your knees out (think of trying to push them outside your feet - you won't be able to but it's the feeling you want) as hard as you possibly can throughout the whole squat?

can you get some video?

and hi! :)

Hi!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I don't have the feeling you describe with my knees, I'll have to give that a try and see if it resolves my issue. Not something that would have occurred to me but thanks.

We're not allowed to take pictures or video in our gym, but I could get a video at home. That would be without weights though as I've none at home so potentially not very useful at all!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! :)

For your 2nd question: A lot of stuff is just simpler to spell as 2-3 letters.
    Bodyweight = BW
    Dumbbells = DB.
    Barbell = BB.
    Kettlebell = KB.
    OHP = Overhead press.
    BP = Bench press.
    DL = Deadlift.

Maybe we should have a glossary! Haha ;)

And even just BW squats would be a good thing to video just to see what your form looks like. If it's wobbly without weight, there's a good chance the extra load of the bar won't be very helpful!

The overhead squat assesment might be a good one for you to try if you want to pinpoint the mobility issues you might have .

http://www.goeata.org/protected/EATACD13/downloads/PDF/presentation-guyer.pdf
    This might prove useful, if maybe a little technical.
  • quackmunch
    Options
    Welcome to the group! :)

For your 2nd question: A lot of stuff is just simpler to spell as 2-3 letters.
    Bodyweight = BW
    Dumbbells = DB.
    Barbell = BB.
    Kettlebell = KB.
    OHP = Overhead press.
    BP = Bench press.
    DL = Deadlift.

Maybe we should have a glossary! Haha ;)

And even just BW squats would be a good thing to video just to see what your form looks like. If it's wobbly without weight, there's a good chance the extra load of the bar won't be very helpful!

The overhead squat assesment might be a good one for you to try if you want to pinpoint the mobility issues you might have .

http://www.goeata.org/protected/EATACD13/downloads/PDF/presentation-guyer.pdf
    This might prove useful, if maybe a little technical.

Thanks for the reply, cleared things up for me :)
    I'll have a read at the pdf and try to get a video of a BW squat. I've never checked myself in a mirror doing BW squats so can't think off the top of my head if the knee does the same thing.
  • girlie100
    Options
    The knee giving issues is my left knee...I'm left handed but I'm not sure if this is also my dominant foot

Stand with legs shoulder width apart and close your eyes, get your husband to push you in the back and see what leg you step forward on :bigsmile: that's how you know what side is more dominant but that's by the by. Try the tests I suggested just with bodyweight squats and see if there is still the issue. :smile:
  • quackmunch
    Options
    Meant to update this a few days ago but only getting round to it now!

I've tried the tips you guys gave, especially on 'shoving my knees out' and my technique is a lot better now, thanks so much for the help guys :)
  • girlie100
    Options
    Meant to update this a few days ago but only getting round to it now!

I've tried the tips you guys gave, especially on 'shoving my knees out' and my technique is a lot better now, thanks so much for the help guys :)

:drinker: :drinker: