Does it come back quicker?

Options
hula808
hula808 Posts: 224 Member
I used to run every other day. Ran 5k in just under 30 minutes.....10k in about an hour. No stopping but enjoyed it.

I fell off the diet and exercise wagon back in June, gaine 24lbs and only ran sporadically.

I want to get back at it but cant even do 5k without stopping 3 times. 5 k was 34 minutes yesterday. Will it come back faster or is it like starting from scratch again? I cant believe the difference. Feels like Im running in sand in a fat suit.

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It will come back, but be patient. You just need to put your ego aside and train at the pace your current level of fitness will allow.

Take is slow and you'll be kicking butt in no time!

Happy running.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I quit for over a year. It will come back. Take it easy and be patient.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. It will definitely come back. How fast is hard to predict but you will get there!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    In my experience, whenever I have taken extended breaks from running, I have always come back stronger. It sucks starting from scratch and you do have to have patience, but you will get there and then it will be easier to progress beyond where you were. At least that has always been the case for me. Good luck and hang in there!!!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    gaine 24lbs .

It's going to suck until that is gone.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what the others said - it will come back, you just have to run slower while it does. I have had quite a few extended breaks over the last 8 years, due to having babies and such, but whenever I did get out to run, I could still run a slow 5 km (operative word is *slow*); I'm talking 35 - 37 minutes. My 5 km time came back to 29 minutes within 2 months. Weight loss will help!
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I seem to fall off the wagon after every big event I do and I barely run for weeks after running 4-5 times a week. Each time I start up again I feel weak and pathetic and can only run a tiny portion of what I could before, but it comes back to me pretty fast, far faster than when I first started. And even though my training for each event doesn't seem to be any better than previous, I keep smashing my previous PBs.

So yes, for me it comes back quicker and I get stronger, even after a break. The extra weight will make a difference but it won't hold you back completely, work hard and you'll lose it again!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The stopping to walk will come back very soon at least.... part of that is knowing your body. Your body is different than it was when you last ran, and that's just a bit of practice. No matter how in shape we are or how fast we are, if we aren't sensitive to our bodies' subtle cues.... we're ALL stopping to walk.
  • wvscubaguy
    wvscubaguy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I stopped 2 years ago due to work schedule. Now trying to reclaim my former running and thinner self. Carrying 35 extra pounds does not make it easier but after 3 weeks of concerted effort, I actually ENJOYED a 5 mile run today. Hang in there!