Weigh or measure your food...what do you do?

Options
AndreaK724
AndreaK724 Posts: 19 Member
I am looking for a surgery date in June. Trying to learn from others tried and true methods for success. I think weighing food is more accurate. I feel it is just too easy to fit one more piece of food in the measuring cup. How do choose your food amounts? Why?

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Sometime I weigh it, sometimes I measure. You'll learn early on after surgery that your new stomach won't hold very much. You'll want to measure out of self-preservation, (throwing up is not fun). Always, I eat off of a saucer or custard cup and it's still possible to over eat even then.
  • minibandit
    Options
    I weigh. Obviously with things like rice - a cup is a cup but, when it comes to grated cheese or other things you can fit more or less and it would still officially be a cup. Weighing is more accurate.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I weigh, its much more accurate and I like the control...lol I am 18 months out and in my last phase so I only eat 7 ounces at a meal. 4 oz is always protein and the other 3 can be be anything I want, carbs, fruit or veggies.
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I also weigh my food. It's much more accurate :)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I do both. If it's something like cottage cheese or greek yogurt or something liquid, I measure. Also, if the serving on the package is in measurement such as cups, I measure. If it's meat or cheese or something like that, I weigh it.
  • AndreaK724
    Options
    Thanks for your input. Congrats to you all. looks like you all have been very successful on your weight loss journey. I love the idea of eating off of a small saucer.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I weight everything, with the exception of liquids such as almond milk. Basically if the label has the serving size in ml, then I measure. If it's in gm or oz, then I weight it. Weighing it is much more accurate. If you don't believe me, watch the video at the bottom of this page.

http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/measure_your_food_Before_or_After_Cooking.cfm
  • Daisyrn
    Daisyrn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also do both, however I do mostly weigh my foods. I make 4 oz mini meatloaves in a muffin tin and freeze them. I use my Ninja and basically make skinless chicken breasts into consistency of ground beef. I can pop them into the microwave add veggies and some kind of a sauce and dinner in less than 5 minuets. The one thing that I found to be really helpful when I first started was to use toddler plates/bowls and utensils. The food fits the plates and if you use the utensils it is usually the perfect size bite.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Mostly I weigh as it seems to be the most accurate however when using the bar code scanner on my phone for input I try to stick with the unit of measurement on the package.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    even now , weigh it - and buy LOTS of Ramekins!!! to help with portion control , and SALAD/Dessert plates - Average dinner plats are 12-14 inches, trust me you need smaller plates!
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve surgery 2/20 and I am on the mushy food stage now. I have lost 24 pounds since surgery ....
    My doctor told me at this point to measure food and eat only 1/2 cup at any sitting....

I am using a personal bullet blender to mushy up everything and am sticking to high protein options only.

SO far so good!
  • Butlavie
    Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Im 2 yrs out and I still measure my food
  • AndreaK724
    Options
    I also do both, however I do mostly weigh my foods. I make 4 oz mini meatloaves in a muffin tin and freeze them. I use my Ninja and basically make skinless chicken breasts into consistency of ground beef. I can pop them into the microwave add veggies and some kind of a sauce and dinner in less than 5 minuets. The one thing that I found to be really helpful when I first started was to use toddler plates/bowls and utensils. The food fits the plates and if you use the utensils it is usually the perfect size bite.

I love that idea for the meatloaves!
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    2.3 years out and I have always measured my food. Never bought a scale... always wished I did, but I'm happy with measuring and still do.