Lizzard's Mayo

Options
Lizzard_77
Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
I know mayo has been done to death in this group (as well as BP coffee) but I thought I might share my latest recipe for it, I think I actually got the balance of flavors pretty spot on this time round. Someone also requested the recipe so I am taking the opportunity to share with everyone :)

1 egg, room temp
1 tsp ground mustard, do not sub prepared mustard
1 Tbsp Raw apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp sea salt, I use himalayan salt
1 cup of oil
My oil combo is: 1/4 cup light flavored olive oil, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1/2 cup Avocado oil

Combine all oils together in a measuring cup with a pour spout. Add egg, mustard, salt, and vinegar to a food processor. Add 1/4 cup of your oil mixture and blend for a few seconds until it comes together. Then, with the processor going, SLOWLY pour in the remaining oil. I like to put on a good song that lasts at least 3 minutes and shake my booty while I pour in the oil. Everything should emulsify and become deliciously think. Taste for salt and refrigerate.

This mayo barely lasts a week in my house but I wouldn't keep it for much longer. You will notice it gets a bit of an off smell and strong taste when it gets a bit old. ENJOY!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I've used similar recipe and I often use a blend of different oils. I've been afraid to try a food processor though…. just looks too wide. My blender sure can't cut it. My hand blender does it but it takes a fair amount of time and it's hard to blend while pouring. My mayo lasts a long time; probably because I drink so much BP coffee. lol
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I need to start making my own, the one my wife buys has switched from Honey to HFCS recently and we didn't notice until last week, she's pissed about it too. I will give this a shot.
  • Lizzard_77
    Options
    I need to start making my own, the one my wife buys has switched from Honey to HFCS recently and we didn't notice until last week, she's pissed about it too. I will give this a shot.

Why would they do that?!?

This recipe has a slightly sweet flavor from the coconut oil. I started out making it with all olive then, all avocado, I even tried all coconut. This blend is my favorite but its definitely worth playing around with to find the flavor you like :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

What oils are in it? Canola? Soy? ….and sweet stuff in mayo? Strange. It's very easy to make once one perfects their emulsification technique. In fact, I think it's very sad that i grew up not even knowing it could be made at home. The 1950/60s were just stupid. Food manufacturers did their best to get women out of the kitchen and few have gone back. My grandma remembers making everything from scratch at one time but my mom can't do much in the kitchen unless the stuff comes out of a package and has instructions.
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    Saffola oil, which I almost never have Mayo anyway because I do not eat bread but once every few months I'll do a tuna and mayo snack. But I have been procrastinating on making up a few Paleo salad dressings and such because I have failed on so many attempts at making mayo I just skip to oil and vinegar.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Saffola oil, which I almost never have Mayo anyway because I do not eat bread but once every few months I'll do a tuna and mayo snack. But I have been procrastinating on making up a few Paleo salad dressings and such because I have failed on so many attempts at making mayo I just skip to oil and vinegar.

What in the world is "saffola"? A mix of safflower and canola? Yuck. My mayos fail sometimes too, but then I make them ranch dressing. Weird or not, still tastes ok. I just tried a new recipe (came from a lady from the Philippines) that is half coconut and half olive oil. I was ecstatic to find a coconut version that doesn't go hard as a rock in the fridge. Since I like to keep olive oil consumption minimal, it's a complete WIN for me.

I hear you on the oil and vinegar. I've almost stopped bothering with dressing because I have discovered that my favourite dressing is avocado oil and balsamic. It's awesome to find something that I love that is also zero effort. My child too often just wants olive oil and nothing else on her salads.
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    Sorry Saffola is the brand name it is all safflower oil according to my wife. I made your Mayo Liz but had some substitutes on the oils I used walnut and truffle oil with the olive and it turned out good but a tad strong. It worked in my tuna just fine.
  • Lizzard_77
    Options
    Sorry Saffola is the brand name it is all safflower oil according to my wife. I made your Mayo Liz but had some substitutes on the oils I used walnut and truffle oil with the olive and it turned out good but a tad strong. It worked in my tuna just fine.

I have tried it with walnut oil and olive oil mix and enjoyed it but it seemed suited for more specific items. Truffle oil sounds great but I believe it was a bit strong, that stuff goes a long way!! My combo was an attempt to get the most generic and store bought -like mayo possible so my hibs would eat it and not insist on Hellman's!! If I could make smaller batches I totally have a bunch of oils I would like to try :o)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Some quick research and apparently Saffola is mostly rice bran oil and 20% safflower oil. Another refined seed oil that's been promoted as superiorly heart healthy. hmmmm…..
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    As noted, Saffola is only partially safflower oil.

The only all-safflower mayo I know of that is generally available is Hain Safflower Mayonnaise.

Ingredients: Safflower Oil Expeller Pressed, Egg(s) Whole, Grain(s) Vinegar, Water Filtered, Egg(s) Yolks, Salt, Egg(s) Whites, Cane Juice Dehydrated, Spice(s), Lemon(s) Juice Concentrate, Honey, Tocopherols Mixed (Vitamin E), Flavor(s) Natural, Paprika Extract Added for Color

The Hain Celestial Group, Inc. is not owned by a larger corporation.

They own the following brands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hain_Celestial_Group

I don't use mayonnaise much, so I don't have a problem with having a jar of this on hand for the occasional use like making tartar sauce etc.
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    Yeah I only have used it with tuna out of the can, for the most part I almost never use it; what's the point if it isn't going on a sandwich? Funny thing, my wife got really upset they started putting the HFCS in it so she switched to Hain this week when we were shopping. She's not paleo or anything she just tends to eat more natural foods if she can.
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    I too make my own mayo and would add another oil you may want to try... Macadamia nut! Yummmm
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use a very similar recipe and it taste just like mayo to me.

1 egg, room temp
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 cup of "light tasting" olive oil

Put all ingredients in a wide mouth jar and insert immersion blender. Once blender sits on bottom of jar, turn on for 30-45 seconds and you have mayo.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great recipe but you can make it so much quicker with an immersion/ hand held blender. Just put everything into a jar (I use a glass preserving jar) and whizz it up - mayo in a few seconds and none of the slow drip by drip or splitting. I would recommend lemon juice rather than vinegar though - the only mayo fails I've ever had have been when I used vinegar rather than lemon. My recipe is the same as 3rdxacharm but I usually add a homemade ranch type blend of herbs/spices for a bit more flavour.
  • Lizzard_77
    Options
    Sounds like a great recipe but you can make it so much quicker with an immersion/ hand held blender. Just put everything into a jar (I use a glass preserving jar) and whizz it up - mayo in a few seconds and none of the slow drip by drip or splitting. I would recommend lemon juice rather than vinegar though - the only mayo fails I've ever had have been when I used vinegar rather than lemon. My recipe is the same as 3rdxacharm but I usually add a homemade ranch type blend of herbs/spices for a bit more flavour.

Mayo is such a finicky beast. I have never had luck with it with my immersion blender and mason jar, and it's not for lack of trying!!! I love that folks get it to work and would love for it to work for me but for now, I am happy with my 3 minute song boogie session whilst I drip drip drip :)

As far as lemon juice? Hubs hated it when I used it. So really, every person has their own recipe and taste and what works. I posted my recipe cause someone asked for it so I thought I'd share publicly. Just like paleo, we all come to what works best for us :tongue: