Cause / Effect of Insanity Results?

Options
rjlkat
rjlkat Posts: 82 Member
Hey, all… I have two Insanity topic questions, but I'll post them separately. First off, I have a Cause/Effect complex question...

I know there are several posts of people simply asking for results or opinions on the Insanity workout by Beachbody. I’m looking for a bit more complex answers if you’re willing to share.

Currently I am just over a week from finishing up my first round of Insanity. At first I had good results, then overnight my weight and inches jumped back up. I’m thinking it’s water weight gain, but it’s still frustrating. I haven't weighed myself in weeks due to home chaos rather than a choice. Measuring myself (belly, anyway) is pointless as I can measure ten times in one sitting and get ten numbers, but I think I am slightly tighter in the abs, but the fat's still there. Anyway, I wanted to get a bit more in-depth in the cause/effect results of others so I can get a better level of expectation for myself.

If you have completed at least one round of Insanity (or close to it), would you please share your results? Did you lose inches, weight, both? Significant cardio or agility improvement?

Also, to help pinpoint what it precisely was that ‘worked’ for you, did you make a significant change in your diet (more calories, less calories, cleaner choices, et cetera), or were you already eating ideally for you? Or did you only change workouts? Did you come from little or no exercise, or was this just a change in intensity, duration, type? Did supplements play a part? Increase in water consumption, more/better sleep? Did you see immediate results, or not until month two, or even round two? I’m looking for what *change* made your workout successful, particularly for inches/pounds lost.

Thanks, everyone :smile:

Replies

• FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Okay so I started about three weeks ago and I have lost over half a stone. I was 17st 11lb when I started Insanity, now I am 17st 3lb. I exercise in the gym as well as doing Insanity and I've always watched what I eat and drink. I'm a lot fitter, stronger and faster and there was a time when I was stressing out because everyone was telling me how much weight I lost and I couldn't see the difference. However, in saying that, I was measured around my waist the other day and I found out I've gone down half an inch in a month, which is supposed to be fantastic since a lot of people don't lose that much. The only thing I have to do is maintain the weight so it sticks and carry on.

Also, the worst thing you can do is weigh yourself on scales. Scales lie to you, they're no good. Trust me on this one, I weighed myself non-stop but then I found out that bodyweight can change through several reasons, it doesn't necessarily mean you're getting fatter but it could mean you're gaining muscle or your retaining water, which is completely normal. For me, it's muscle gain and muscle weighs more than fat. So what I'm doing is, instead of weighing myself, I'm measuring my stomach, my arms and my waist and I suggest you do the same. I'm not focusing on weight loss so much anymore, I'm focusing on fat loss.

As I said, measure yourself, do not weigh yourself. Through the gym and Insanity and other workouts, you are going to gain some strength and possibly (most likely through Insanity as well) muscle and, just like I said, muscle weighs more than fat so please don't worry about it. As long as you feel a good, positive difference, keep on!
  • rjlkat
    Options
    Thanks, Dazzillionair. Yeah, I know muscle is more dense than fat, and with possible water weight I try not to look too much at the scales. Still, the clothes fit *slightly* better but the belly is still really there. I need to get some fat off so I can fit into other clothes as the weather warms and for an upcoming event.

Like I said, I can't accurately measure my belly. I will inevitably come up with different measurements, varying up to two inches. I have on regular occasion in the past kept up with arm, leg, natural waist, belly, upper thigh, mid-chest measurements, but mostly I try to go by how I feel, how my clothes fit (and what sizes will fit), and how I appear in the mirror. But I do keep an eye on the scale, because with the amount of fat I need to lose, there has to be a downward trend on it as well, muscle gain or not. And I think it's something like no more than 1/4 lb of muscle gain per month, or something like that?

I already worked out an average of 5 days a week (though after these workouts, I begin to question how much work mine were before!), and I generally eat fairly healthily. This is why I am trying very hard to figure out what the actual causes are for the effects everyone is getting. I need to tweak myself somewhere to get the results I desperately need at this point.
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm at Recovery Week of my second round of Insanity. The first time around I didn't want to lose weight particularly, just tone up my tummy area primarily. I actually put on 1lb by the end but measurements did go down. Waist, tummy and thighs by about an inch each. I didn't follow the diet plan, but I did use their guide on calories and macro split. I did 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. This meant taking a lot more protein than normal for me. Although the measurement results weren't dramatic, I was happy as my tummy was flatter. Please see before and after pics;

Slide1_zpsbf7d7d82.jpg

I only saw those results when I looked at my before and after pics. Maybe you will notice a difference if you've taken pics.

I was already working out regularly to DVDs (Bob Harper, Jillian Michaels and Jackie Warner), 6 days a week, but I did see a major improvement in my fitness and flexibility, and this time round I'm REALLY trying to focus on form - especially getting down low on push-ups!

This time around I do want to lose a bit of weight so I'm doing the same as before, just eating less calories. You ask what 'change' made the difference - I didn't make massive changes to my diet - just more protein which I found Protein shakes useful for.
  • FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Dazzillionair. Yeah, I know muscle is more dense than fat, and with possible water weight I try not to look too much at the scales. Still, the clothes fit *slightly* better but the belly is still really there. I need to get some fat off so I can fit into other clothes as the weather warms and for an upcoming event.

Like I said, I can't accurately measure my belly. I will inevitably come up with different measurements, varying up to two inches. I have on regular occasion in the past kept up with arm, leg, natural waist, belly, upper thigh, mid-chest measurements, but mostly I try to go by how I feel, how my clothes fit (and what sizes will fit), and how I appear in the mirror. But I do keep an eye on the scale, because with the amount of fat I need to lose, there has to be a downward trend on it as well, muscle gain or not. And I think it's something like no more than 1/4 lb of muscle gain per month, or something like that?

I already worked out an average of 5 days a week (though after these workouts, I begin to question how much work mine were before!), and I generally eat fairly healthily. This is why I am trying very hard to figure out what the actual causes are for the effects everyone is getting. I need to tweak myself somewhere to get the results I desperately need at this point.

Take pictures and keep for yourself. You will not regret it!
  • rjlkat
    Options
    Its42uk - thank you! I am pretty heavy on protein in general. Like you, I am following the calories suggested by Insanity (though they were already what was suggested by EM2LW). I do feel more toned and flatter under the belly fat, I will admit.

My second post (that I'm about to submit) was about a second round of Insanity, and how/when I probably should do it, as I will admit my body is very sore and numerous areas stiff (a couple small injuries as well) from this month 2, particularly.

You look great, by the way! *envies* :smile:
  • lts42uk
    Options
    Thank you :blushing:

I finished my first round of Insanity on 22nd December 2013, then all went wrong over Christmas, when I took a week off. I did some other DVDs for a couple of weeks then restarted Insanity. I had to take a week off after my 2nd week as I hurt my back. I intend to finish this round, then I'm away for a week , then I'm doing round 3 ready for my holiday in June (I must be Insane!!). When I come back from that I'll be doing my first round of T25, including Gamma
  • rjlkat
    Options
    Its42uk, are you repeating the entire workout in each round? I ask because I am about to finish (the end of the week) my first round, and have just enough time to complete a full second before a big event I am trying to drop fat before. That is the other post I had put on here - asking whether I should do another full round, only repeat month two once or twice (as it is the 'results' month), or just do these workouts a few times a week, interspersed with some other activity.

I was wondering if you were getting results by repeating month one...?
  • lts42uk
    Options
    I am repeating the whole thing including month 1. I don't see results doing it, but I never have month one anyway. I do enjoy redoing month one because I can really focus on form and intensity!
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I found because I am petite (I'm 5 foot) and not as heavy that I don't burn as many calories as what they suggested in the nutrition guide. Based on my HRM I only burn around 400-500 during the month two workouts. Could this be a factor? And there are definitely weeks where I feel like a swollen sausage... Hormones are lovely... Have your inches dropped back down since your post?

I am on day 51. I have lost 12 pounds and significant inches. About 4 from my waist, 3 from my hips, 2 from my thighs, bust has stayed about the same (woohoo!) My cardio has improved so much that it's my muscles struggling to keep up. At first it was the other way around.
  • rjlkat
    Options
    Michellewest, my inches haven't been measured in a good long while (house renovations have things all over the place, plus I can measure 10 times at the same time and come up with 10 answers in reference to my belly), but my jeans and trousers seem to fit at least somewhat better :tongue:

I know what you mean - hormones don't help, so I try not to focus *too* much on that, but also I know I am retaining water from injuries. One knee has not been happy lately and the muscles around it are retaining. I'm only 5'1", myself, and would *love* to see a loss of 12 lbs. My bust tends to stay the same for the most part when I drop (good), but I wish my thighs would shrink. 4" from my waist would be amazing! I salute your awesome results!!

Unfortunately I still have not picked up a HRM (hangs head), so I don't know exactly what I'm burning. I try to average about 1700-1800 calories daily, and I wonder if I am eating too many or too few. I will definitely have to pick a HRM up soon. I only have a few days left to finish this round, but am thinking of either repeating it fully, repeating just month two, or integrating month two with other workouts at the gym. May I ask what calories you're getting daily? Lately I have been ravenous, and that is still eating the 1700-1800 daily...
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    So I'm a bit late to the party here, but I JUST finished Insanity this past weekend and you can see my results in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1214076-insanity-is-complete

I lost BOTH weight and inches. Don't be discouraged by the lack of a ton of weight loss in the beginning. Your body is going crazy and will be retaining water for a while, and it will do so again at the start of month 2.

Insanity will be more mental than physical in a LOT of ways. Month 2 is absolutely crazy and TRULY is where the Insanity name comes from. Between month 1 and 2, it's just flat out night and day.

I ended up losing around 10-12lbs over the 63 day program, but the bigger story is I lost 10% body fat. I lost about 4 inches off my waist as well as losing in my chest, hips, etc.

I could have gotten better results had I eaten much better. I basically just watched calories, increased protein intake to help build muscle and recover from these things, and ate whatever the hell I wanted. I seriously ate out 3 times a week sometimes.

As far as cardiovascular endurance, hell yes it got better. As a test, just couple hours ago I did the very first workout, Plyometric Cardio Circuit, and while I struggled the first month with it until like the 3rd week where it became a little easier, I owned it today. I took about 5 breaks in the very last two intervals of only a couple breaths and went back into it. I think it was maybe another 20-30 seconds total for the entire workout that I took a break.

It strengthened my core, I'm more flexible, have more endurance, and I'm stronger in the back/shoulders and just over all.

EVERYTHING worked...there isn't one part of the program that I would say was bad. This time of workout is really right down my alley. So much so that I ordered both Asylum Volume 1 and 2 to do after a recover for a couple weeks. Going to get into it after my kids spring break is over!

Hope this helped some!
  • rjlkat
    Options
    Thanks, joehempel, and congratulations! Your photos and fit test results are awesome results. The fact you feel more fit is always a wonderful improvement.

And no, you're not late to the party; I only posted this about a week or so ago. I'm not at the beginning; I'm actually only a couple days from completing Round 1. My body is quite aware of the retaining water due to the abuse it's being put through (ha ha!). I am still trying to decide if I should continue with month 2 after I finish in order to get some much stronger results before a big event this spring, but my body is protesting that thought, as is my mindset (it is not amused by this thought).

Did you make changes in your diet, aside from ensuring the higher level of protein and calorie level? Did you lower your calories from a regularly higher number? Did you regularly workout before doing Insanity, or was it just a change in intensity/type? I'm trying to find what specific thing triggered the inches/weight loss for everyone.
  • joehempel
    Options
    For me, I didn't really change what foods I ate, sometimes still eating out 3 times a week.

As far as fitness goes, I ran a marathon the previous September, then had surgery in October that had some complications so I decided to just wait until after the holidays to start up again.

I decided to go for Insanity because it was highly intense.

I didn't really do anything except set my calories to lose 1lb a week, which, on average I did, like 1.25 lbs per week.

Nobody is going to be able to tell you specifically what they did to lose inches in a specific area as you can't really spot reduce fat, it just goes off where it wants to....usually in the places that you don't want it to first LOL. But losing the weight and inches, is really just a matter of calories in/calories out.

The biggest thing I noticed was that yesterday I went back to do a month 1 workout, and it was no longer a problem, I NAILED IT, took about 30 seconds extra break over 5-6 3-deep breath rest periods in the last two intervals of the last circuit. So the improvement there is more important to me than weight/inches.
  • rjlkat
    Options
    joehempel - so, basically you *did* cut calories, though, yes? My calculated numbers (with deficit) aren't any different than what I had already been trying to average, so again, I'm just trying to find what is triggering (what is the *key* for each individual) the weight loss and/or inches lost.

Oh yeah, I know you can't spot reduce - the closest is to tone that troublesome area. But I do know that my belly is/would be the first to show a significant loss, and that is what I'm hoping to affect. (Though I would *love* to be able to trim my inner thighs - ugh! :laugh: )

If you were running marathons before doing Insanity, then it's safe to say you had a pretty good cardio program going beforehand. It sounds like a large part of your weight/inches loss, then, is from calorie deficit.

Whereas I *do* want cardiovascular and endurance improvement (I'd like to do a 5k; I'd gotten up to jogging them but got injured before I could actually enter a race, then once healed just couldn't get the endurance back), right now I am practically desperate to get some fat weight off. That is for a number of reasons, part of which is my health, part of which for other reasons (including just simply feeling better about my body image and fitting into my clothes again). Also, when I get together with friends a couple times a year, we like to do a lot of hiking and other activities, so lighter is easier to carry on hikes and nicer to the joints than heavier.

I just get so many differing opinions - eat more, eat less, calories aren't the problem, it's *what* you're eating (my doctor's statement, actually), change your macros... So I'm simply trying to find what is the winning combination since I cannot seem to find the key for myself.
  • joehempel
    Options
    Everyone is different, you have to find what works for YOU.

There is no winning combination that's universal for everyone.

For me it was just move more, push harder, increase protein.
  • rjlkat
    Options
    I totally agree; there is no universal 'works for everyone.' I was just trying to find what was working for each person and perhaps find what I was missing before, try something different in an attempt to find that missing key/ingredient. I was looking for ideas.

I did take measurements today and weighed in (though I should wait until tomorrow for a number, as I am retaining water from the workout with quite a bit of muscle soreness), and I have lost at least 2.5 inches from my belly, 2 inches from my waist, nearly an inch from my hips, and a bit from other various other measuring points. So far at least 6 lbs, possible more, is gone. So yeah, it's definitely started 'working' this second month. I just need to find what I need to do to continue that progress; I am just going to have to do that without staying constantly on Insanity.
  • terihick
    terihick Posts: 12
    Options
    I've always been a salty sweater. Funny but true but I googled it. I always felt dehydrated. To the point that I would drink H2O all day long. I'm around 125 lbs and should be taking half my weight in ounces of water. So, 62.5 ounces a day. I would take in 80+ due to working out. I still felt dehydrated. I started taking a sugar free electrolyte. I was surprised I didn't retain extra water and I actually started shedding the pounds faster. I also try very hard to remember to take my vitamins. We are throwing our bodies into some extreme stuff and I can't blame our body for saying, "screw this!" and hang onto everything because our life depends on it. Lol! So, if we meet it half way by provide nutrients and hydration the body might compromise.
  • rjlkat
    Options
    Good points, terihick! I do take a multivitamin along with several other vitamin supplements, but I had not thought of taking in added electrolytes. I know you can get them in sports drinks, but how do you find a sugar-free supplement? When did you start to see a change?

I do try to get a significant amount of water intake daily (I don't measure it, but probably 7-8 glasses a day, or 56-64 oz), and with my adrenal fatigue (per my doctor's diagnosis; I'd never heard of it before), I try to take in a bit of extra salt on occasion. I wonder if an electrolyte supplement would help.

Thanks for the info!
  • Abbie_T
    Abbie_T Posts: 38
    Options
    I attended a nutrition Seminar, which really opened my eyes to what the hell I was putting in my body, especially regarding hidden sugars and vitamins (which is why I only drink water, as good as sports drinks seem there's nothing in there you don't get from a good supplement or clean eating, and Sugar free drinks usually involve artificial sweeteners which some research suggests does you more harm than good, which is debatable but hey).

I'd recommend anyone to learn more about nutrition, it's really important. Your doctor is totally right, as well as watching calories you need to look at sugar, and the types of fat in your food.

So I'm 2 weeks into insanity after shedding about 2 stone in weight from dieting, I've had no weight loss but substantial firming and toning of my body, increased muscle recovery and can't wait for the results at the end.

I've also decided to try sticking to the diet plan more, as I think I've been slacking on the food front recently.
  • tmcoyle
    tmcoyle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose a lot of weight my first time around, but I did lose a significant amount of inches (22 in all). I wasn't out to lose weight, just firm up and be stronger. I was using the fat shredder meal plan of 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat in the 2nd month and that is when I saw a drastic change in my body. My cardio was top notch. I am a very active person and I was working out with Jillian Michels and riding horses (not just walking the trails, but concentrated training) 3-5 hours a day, plus a full-time job in town. After Insanity I was much more agile, stronger and could go longer distances. I was using L-glutamine for muscle soreness, Shakeology, high protein/low carb powder and a multi-vitamin. I just finished the 21 Day Fix and that meal plan really hones in on eating whole clean foods without any processed foods and getting high protein without the added protein powder. I cannot live without Shakeology as that is an energy booster for me and keeps me regular. I also make sure I drink half my weight in water, so at least 60 ounces for me. You can friend me and see what I'm eating for my meals.