lazy thyroid ... natural metabolism boosters?

Options
Hi I'm new here.

I'm 35yr old female. Was diagnosed with a lazy thyroid almost a year ago. Have been prescribed 25mg levothyroxin.
I was expecting it to be a miracle weight loss pill if I'm honest.
I don't really know much about my lazy thyroid. My Dr didn't really explain anything to me except insisting I needed to lose weight.

I've battled with my weight forever. 7/8 yrs ago I lost 7 stone over about 18 months. I was living on rich tea biscuits and laughing cow sandwiches. I got down to about 14 stone 10lbs.
As soon as I began eating 'normally' again I began piling the weight back on.
I currently weigh 290.2lbs, started a few months ago on here with a starting weight of 306.3lbs.

Up til now I've been averaging 1200 cals per day. Except a Sunday, which I've had as my free day to eat at restaurants. Not over the top but not restricted myself to the treat either. Mfp suggests 1600. On another thread on mfp other members have told me I need to eat closer to 1600. Which from today I will begin doing.

I go to the gym 3 evenings a week. Burning approx 370cal cardio and 170 cal weights.

I am just looking here for any tips or advice on how to lose weight as efficiently as possible.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• ChilliRed
    ChilliRed Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have had an underactive thyroid for 13 years and I am on 150mg of thyroxine per day. It does make it harder to lose weight. I find that some days my energy levels are really low. I have recently joined MFP and I am exercising in the gym three times a week, I also went for a 7 mile bike ride yesterday and a walk for an hour and half today. I think a mixture of healthy eating and exercise will help, but I think you need to eat enough calories. I once done a very low calorie diet for two weeks and never lost an ounce, your body thinks your starving so you dont lose weight. Log everything on here, food and exercise and try to eat your 1600 calories a day and you should get progress Karen :smile:
  • chunkycherub79
    chunkycherub79 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Thanks for your reply :)

Yeh some days I feel exhausted. When I found out that exhaustion is part of the symptoms it was quite a relief cos I had been feeling soooo tired. And I just thought I was lazy like a few people had been saying.

You are on a lot higher dose than I am. Do you mind me asking, how do you know when you need your dose increasing? As I said I've been on this dose for almost 12 months and I'm unsure when or if I'll need to increase it?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your endocrinologist (or GP) should be having your blood tested regularly (I go every 3 months) and adjusting your dosage accordingly. Some doctors dose solely based on your labs; others go by both your labs and your symptoms. I started at 25mcg Synthroid; I'm currently at 88mcg.

Take Synthroid on an empty stomach with a full glass of water. Wait an hour before eating or drinking anything but water. Wait an additional 3 hours (4 total) before taking any vitamin or mineral supplements. They interfere with the absorption.

Synthroid is not a weight-loss miracle pill. You lose weight by eating at a deficit (exercising more and eating less). Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • chunkycherub79
    chunkycherub79 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Thanks for your reply. I've had nothing from my gp. Been waiting 3 months for a referral regarding another issue.

I'll have to chase him up.