Rowing - Introduce Yourself...

Options

Replies

• fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes--I'm amazed by all of the threads on this site attempting to deal with no cardio, all weights, good calories vs bad calories...boggles my mind.

I quietly row and mountain bike, do some upper body resistance training and watch what I eat.

Maybe I'm getting old?
  • mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Getting old should be our proof we are doing something right!
  • painterprincess
    Options
    Hi All,
    I just joined the team for the next Concept2 erg challenge. I'm 42, an on-water rower of two years. The highlight of last year's rowing was a trip to the Head of the Charles with a sr women's 8+. Bought my erg last fall and have put 400k on it. I tend to row 6 days a week, a regular moderate exercise type person. Soon enough the ice will go away and we'll be able to put the boats in the water again! Anyway, I hope I add something for your team dynamic. I am happy to have a team to be on!
    Mary Margaret
  • fitandfortyish
    Options
    Yay!! Welcome to the team :drinker:

Are you doing March Mud Madness as well?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I just joined the team for the next Concept2 erg challenge. I'm 42, an on-water rower of two years. The highlight of last year's rowing was a trip to the Head of the Charles with a sr women's 8+. Bought my erg last fall and have put 400k on it. I tend to row 6 days a week, a regular moderate exercise type person. Soon enough the ice will go away and we'll be able to put the boats in the water again! Anyway, I hope I add something for your team dynamic. I am happy to have a team to be on!
    Mary Margaret

Welcome to our little gang!

I've been contemplating joining the Ottawa Rowing Club.......it looks like so much fun but I'm sure it's quite different than on the erg. They have a learn to row program for adults, maybe this year I'll beat the waiting list when they open up registration.
  • robinrows
    robinrows Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just joined the MFP team as well. Still on track for Mud Season Madness 10K. Amazed at how good I feel today, starting to think the 10K a day should be a long term thing. I guess I will likely to re-evaluate this later in the month!
  • painterprincess
    Options
    Yes, I'm working my way through the 5k a day portion of Mud Madness. 10k a day is too much for me, maybe next year!
  • fitandfortyish
    Options
    I'm on the 5k plan as well...not enough time in my weekdays to make that commitment.

As far as Mud Madness goes, I'm still feeling good, thinking I'll need to dial back the intensity however if I'm going to make it :grumble:
  • robinrows
    Options
    Anyone done a marathon row? Does it hurt more than a 1/2 marathon? I am thinking of trying a full marathon but might leave it until the team challenge starts (and this also gives some more time for a nice gel seat cushion to be delivered!).

Robin
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Haven't done a full marathon yet but aim aiming for the global marathon challenge may 1-15 to put a full one in, using the mud madness and the team world erg challenge as training ready for full marathon two weeks after. I don't see it being any harder as such so long as you are prepared and pace yourself at a sustainable level did two halve's in a week a while back so FM scheduled May 1-15.
  • fitandfortyish
    Options
    Good on you for even attempting a marathon! I can't imagine sitting for that long--but maybe with a nice gel seat.

It might be doable in my world if I could do a side-by-side row with another person...keep me on track and motivated. I see C2 has a June 21 challenge of 21k in one day--I will definitely give that a shot.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Anyone done a marathon row? Does it hurt more than a 1/2 marathon? I am thinking of trying a full marathon but might leave it until the team challenge starts (and this also gives some more time for a nice gel seat cushion to be delivered!).

Robin

I haven't attempted a full marathon (yet) either (I've done a handful of halfs) I'd definitely agree that some kind of padding would be useful, that seat gets a little hard on the sit bones after a couple of hours.......

I seem to recall seeing (on another C2 forum) the suggestion that having someone provide support during the row (presumably for water etc) was a good idea, I also noticed we had someone post an item last week about doing 100,000m in one day - she may have some useful input too.
  • robinrows
    Options
    just started me thinking about how much food I could eat if I rowed 100,000m in one day! That would be 8-9 hours for rowing and I reckon about 7000-8000 calories.
  • robinrows
    Options
    How's everyone getting on with the March Challenge? I had a day off today, legs went to jelly in the gym yesterday and felt the same today. Hopefully will be ok again tomorrow.
  • fitandfortyish
    Options
    Because I'm not hitting the high number of 10k, I am not struggling with jelly legs...but I'm feeling fatigued in a big way--too much "life" going on as well. Upping my carb intake to try to get more energy.

I'm still super motivated to keep going because it now has become one of those things I MUST do, but yah...pretty tired.
  • robinrows
    Options
    I think part of the reason I had to rest today was trying to do sprints a couple of days ago, I did a 500m, and 1000m sprint as part of the 10K - really felt it later! Longer distances at a more moderate pace seem easier - the sprints really hurt!
  • gj1802
    gj1802 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone.
    Just joined this group and have signed up to the MFP Friends team for the World Erg Challenge 2014.
    I'm a relative beginner using the C2 indoor rower for the past couple of months and working towards my 1st million metres.
    I'm hoping being accountable to you guys now will keep me on target.

Happy rowing everyone!!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    How's everyone getting on with the March Challenge? I had a day off today, legs went to jelly in the gym yesterday and felt the same today. Hopefully will be ok again tomorrow.

Only missed one day of rowing so far this month so I've hit 10k 13 days out of 14 (nice to be past the halfway mark for the challenge). Surprisingly by alternating steady rowing with intervals I've been feeling pretty good. Fortunately it's a low running volume month (half marathon at the end of May)
  • sunship
    sunship Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Full marathons aren't bad -- just very time consuming, and you really need something to distract you while you row -- :)

I rowed 64K meters in one day a couple of weeks ago -- my wife wanted to have me admitted -- :)

Thanks for having me, all -- please add me!!
  • gj1802
    gj1802 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1st row for me today for the World ERG Challenge.
    Rowed just over 13,000m in 1hr which for me is quite an achievement considering my 1st row in January I was done after 10mins!!:happy:
    Hopefully I'll improve throughout the challenge.
    Good luck and happy rowing to everyone on the team.:happy: