Getting Active During Midterms

Options
Hi there!
I'm new to the whole group feature on here, so hiya, I'm Chloe. I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds and I've been trying to keep my calorie consumption in check during the week but with midterms, I don't find any motivation to work out when I'm so stressed out. Does anyone have any tips on how they stay motivated to get to the gym during this crazy time?

Replies

• cns94
    cns94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know when I'm really stressed out that working out actually makes me feel 100 times better. Even when you feel overwhelmed with studying, make the time to go to the gym. It's time that is just for you. You can clear your head and relax then come back to hit the books with a fresh mind. If you feel like you just dread going to the gym, my guess is your college probably offers some sort of classes that you can go to. I used to hate working out and then I met Zumba, the love of my life. Whether it's spin classes, turbo kick, insanity, or Zumba (ok I'm a little biased). I fit it into my schedule just like anything else that I would do for class, sorority, clubs & no matter how much homework I have I make sure I'm there. Plus it's always more fun if you take friends with you. I am one of those people that HATES working out alone. I get bored, I lose motivation easily. Both of my roommates and three of my other friends go to Zumba or the gym with me and I always have a blast. I never regret taking that time every day for myself & I promise you won't either if you take the time and put in the effort. Don't be afraid to add friends on here either. It's amazing how empowering some of your peers experiencing the same thing will be to you & drive you, encourage you when you feel like giving up.
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use exercise as a study break during midterms and finals. It's good for my body and my sanity :)

That being said, I know it can be hard to find the motivation to hit the gym when you are stressed. For me, building in a reward would help. For example, I would buy myself a magazine I really like but tell myself I had to read it on the elliptical, or would buy some new songs on itunes to listen to during my workout.

Also, remember that your workout doesn't have to be long or intense, especially if you are stressed and short on time.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I know when I'm really stressed out that working out actually makes me feel 100 times better. Even when you feel overwhelmed with studying, make the time to go to the gym. It's time that is just for you. You can clear your head and relax then come back to hit the books with a fresh mind. If you feel like you just dread going to the gym, my guess is your college probably offers some sort of classes that you can go to. I used to hate working out and then I met Zumba, the love of my life. Whether it's spin classes, turbo kick, insanity, or Zumba (ok I'm a little biased). I fit it into my schedule just like anything else that I would do for class, sorority, clubs & no matter how much homework I have I make sure I'm there. Plus it's always more fun if you take friends with you. I am one of those people that HATES working out alone. I get bored, I lose motivation easily. Both of my roommates and three of my other friends go to Zumba or the gym with me and I always have a blast. I never regret taking that time every day for myself & I promise you won't either if you take the time and put in the effort. Don't be afraid to add friends on here either. It's amazing how empowering some of your peers experiencing the same thing will be to you & drive you, encourage you when you feel like giving up.
    Yep!