Mad March workout check in thread

Options

Replies

• LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Two workouts to report. Right now all my exercises include warmups of incremental plate adds - so: 45, 95, 115, etc etc...

3/6
    Squats 140 5x5 felt good
    BP 85 5x3 then 4 and 3 it felt good to fail out here - I'm looking forward to working through this
    ROW - didn't happen, I think I was rushing to finish - or maybe killed from BP? Don't remember

Accessory stuff:
    Lying triceps ext 35x3x8
    DB Curl 15 3x8

Yesterday 3/8
    Squat 145 felt good, I'm going to stay here though so I can work out the BP
    OHP (OMG) 60x5x3, then 5 on set 4 with a push on the last rep, completely scratched the 5th set
    DL 155 - crazy hex plates 'walk' around on me and I had to set up a second time to do reps 4 and 5, this weight is a LOT of work for me so I'll be here for awhile

Accessory stuff:
    Rows (10%) 45x3x8
    CGBP 65x3x8
    DB Curl 15x3x8
    Lying Tri Ext 25x3x8

I really prefer to get the full volume of SL + accessory work in. For accessory work, after Krokador mentioned it, I took a look at Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness workout and have adapted it a bit.

I'm feeling so strong and pumped right now. Eating roughly 2500 kcal a day and not gaining / losing any weight. There are some days where I'm so hungry I'm going waaaay 'off the ranch' and exceeding 3000. My priorities are to gain strength so I'm just trying to go where my body leads me.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    After being quite rundown from that digestion issue on Friday night yesterday, I had to move deadlift 3s to today. I guess it wasn't a bad move at all!

135x3
    150x3
    170x13
    The 1RM calculator said I had to get 11 for a new PR so 2 more reps = HUGE! Hehe ^^ I might've gone in underestimating my 1RM for deadlifts tho. Ah well :)

Then 135x5x10 asumo deadlift. Supersetted with knees to bows for the first 2 sets, then dip bar knee raises for the last 3 because my grip was really getting weak. Did not use my straps once, tho! Not here, anyway xP

Front squats
    45x10
    75x8
    95x12 (had to switch to crossed arms grip halfway here cuz my wrist hurt a bit)
    95x10 (tried to do the straps but it was a lil weird)
    95x8 arms crossed again. It's actually harder to balance since you don't have the fingers out wide. I was just dead at this point haha

Pendlay rows 100x5x5
    first 3 sets were supersetted with 35lbs back extensions. The last 2 sets I almost felt like passing out on the last rep xD

And I finished with cable crunches 105x5x15

no cardio work cuz I'm going back in tomorrow and I was already run down enough as it was. I'll just take a walk later. Knee behaved today, although it's still forever tight. Going to call places and get an appointment to get that checked out tomorrow.

Using straps for front squats it helps the thread the wrist hole over the empty bar and then grip the end you would normally wrap around the bar for deadlifts, but the wrists shouldn't be taking the weight on the front squat so watch your form there, le the bar roll into your fingertips. Kelly Starret has a vid on youtube about opening up the carpel area for front squats to give you more mobility. But nice workout considering you were quite ill :drinker:
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

It's been two weeks since my last lift. I had the never ending illness take over my life! It is the first time in probably 2 years that I haven't worked out! Feels awful :(

It was such a bummer because I was one month into SL and I felt I was making great progress!

I did cardio last night, just the elliptical for 30 minutes. Figured it would be a nice way to ease myself back into my routine.

Tonight I want to do workout B.

Last time I did it, I did :

Squat 90lbs - 5x5
    Overhead press 50lbs - 5,5,5,5,4
    Deadlift 130lb - 1

Since it has been so long since my last lift, what do you guys suggest? Should I start back where I left off, or should I lower my weights? I really don't think I can do the deadlift at 130, I honestly am not sure how I managed at 120.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I really prefer to get the full volume of SL + accessory work in. For accessory work, after Krokador mentioned it, I took a look at Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness workout and have adapted it a bit.

Yup, when I was running it I would just play around with the accessory work and do what I felt I needed. My favorite thing to do was to swap out the 10% lighter rows for pulldowns so I could work on my pull-up strength. Or any other type of row, actually. I get bored easily, I guess? :P
    Using straps for front squats it helps the thread the wrist hole over the empty bar and then grip the end you would normally wrap around the bar for deadlifts, but the wrists shouldn't be taking the weight on the front squat so watch your form there, le the bar roll into your fingertips. Kelly Starret has a vid on youtube about opening up the carpel area for front squats to give you more mobility. But nice workout considering you were quite ill drinker

Yeah, that's what I did. It was just hard to keep my elbows up holding on to the straps.My rack position is actually pretty stable (I can take my hands off while standing up straight and it stays there easily). It's just keeping my wrists in that position for a prolonged amount of time that sucks. I used to not even be able to hold it, in fact. Injured my right wrist doing skullcrushers a while back... It's still nowhere back to its original mobility so maybe that video will help! Baby steps!

MONDAY CHEST DAY! (5/3/1 week, My favorite ^^)

85x5
    95x3
    105x9
    Looka dat! 3 weeks ago I could barely get 6 reps up at this weight (and had been stuck there for a long time)! =D

then 85x4x10 working my grip out wider and a set of closer grip x8
    I think the extra volume has really helped me break through that plateau here. Very happy with my progress ^^

Then moved on to chin-ups and dips, tried to get to 10 reps as fast as possible with as little assist as possible. Started with 50, moved up to 60 (HUGE difference somehow), took 7.5 minutes. Then I ended with a much lighter all out set! I WILL GET THAT UNASSISTED PULL-UP SOON! (sorry, kinda pumped haha)

Face pulls, donkey and seated calf raises

And finally a finisher, for time, of rounds of 15, 12 and 9 reps of:
    KB Swings @40
    DB Thrusters @25

took me 8:05. My calves were quivering though. Next time I do calves, it will be AFTER my conditioning work >_<
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to deload my OHP. I just can't seem to hit all my reps at 97 pounds.

And I was so excited by the prospect of hitting 100 on that evil, evil thing.

So, deloading (maybe to 85 or 90) for a one or two workouts and then working back up.

I hate OHP, SO much.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to deload my OHP. I just can't seem to hit all my reps at 97 pounds.

So, deloading (maybe to 85 or 90) for a one or two workouts and then working back up.

I hate OHP, SO much.

Any way you could video your sets so we can see if there is something form wise that can push you through it?

Eta: what is your bench at and how is it doing? Bench and ohp are great for each other.
  • glwerth
    Options

I hate OHP, SO much.

Any way you could video your sets so we can see if there is something form wise that can push you through it?

Next time (or maybe tomorrow morning, if DH is around), I'll record OHP....then, figure out how to post it! Right now, I just can't do even one more today. Not. One. More.
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    Ahh we posted at the same time. Er I edited while you posted :) Tell us about your bench!
  • glwerth
    Options
    Ahh we posted at the same time. Er I edited while you posted :) Tell us about your bench!

Bench is at 115. I'm doing that weight for one more workout, but then I feel confident I'll move up. It is not nearly as hard as the OHP.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!

Here's a couple of videos that might help:

Pendlay rows - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

Overhead press - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc

Hope that helps!

Thank you those are helpful!!
  • westendcurls
    Options

There are a few things I'm a little unsure of the rows feel awkward...and the OHP seems like it should be easier any tips?

OHP can be tough for a lot of women, we just don't have that great upper body strength. What has helped me (besides watching videos) is proper breathing. Breathe in to get the bar up in the first place, then breathe in whenever the bar lowers and breathe out when you push up. If I pause for just a hair of a second I can't get it back up.

I do tend to forget all about my breathing mid set. I will defiantly try to keep that in mind! Thank you :-)
  • westendcurls
    Options
    Good day! Even with both my lifting buddy and I having gnarly knots in our quads we did well.

squats - 95lb 5x5
    Bench- 65lb 5x5
    Row- 80lb 5x5

The rows felt a little better today we scooted back away from the rack more so we could check our form in the mirror the visual definitely helps along with those videos felt much better today!
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Spring break here - told the kids that mom is NOT missing her workout even if they are off. :grumble: So they got dragged to gym with me. There is a sitting area and they brought games so it was good. So scared if i miss a workout that it makes it easier to make future excuses,

Squats 5x50. Felt good. Ready to try 55 next time.
    overhead press 6x40 deload to fix form. Ready to move up again
    deadlift 5x70 still going strong
    accessories - hanging leg raises and did chinup machine for first time

I am thinking that i will do every weight twice before moving up. Seems like first try, i do it but move slowly. Second try, im more explosive and natural looking.
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good day! Even with both my lifting buddy and I having gnarly knots in our quads we did well.

Are you working out at a gym? My suggestion: check and see if they have foam rollers and roll those babies out!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, happy Monday!

I have two from last week, bench and squats, both my 3 week on 5/3/1.

Bench Warmup Sets:
    5 x 45 pounds
    5 x 55 pounds
    3 x 65 pounds

Working Sets:
    3 x 75 pounds
    3 x 85 pounds
    3 x 95 pounds-I got the three, but couldn't get 4

Assistance Work:
    Dumbbell Flyes-3 x 12 @ 20 pounds in each hand
    Assisted Pullups-3 x 10 @ 60 pounds

This went well, provided I can hit my reps this week, I'll be able to move up 5 pounds next round!

Squat Warmup Sets:
    5 x 75 pounds
    5 x 95 pounds
    3 x 115 pounds

Working Sets:
    3 x 135 pounds
    3 x 150 pounds
    3 x 170 pounds-I got the three, but couldn't get 4

Assistance Work:
    Split Squats-3 x 12 @ 65 pounds

I was also suppsed to do RDL's, but my legs were shaking after the split squats, so I decided to take it easy. I also went for an outdoor run yesterday for 45 minutes, we're finally getting warmer here, and it was awesome!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My sweet love came to the gym with me at lunch today :heart: He's got a fractured wrist so he's been out of the gym for a couple of months. He came just to be with me today :love: Anyway:

Squats: 150 lbs. I did lots of warm ups with various weights leading up to this weight. My working weight is supposed to be 190 lbs, BUT I've been having problems with my knees and I didn't want to push it. Also, DF said that I'm leaning too far forward sometimes, which is probably putting too much pressure on my knees.

Bench: 95 lbs....Got all 5 up, but with help on the last rep on the last 2 sets. I guess I'm going to have to deload :grumble:

Rows: 105 lbs. AGAIN, realized as I was heading back from the gym that I miscalculated my weights and was supposed to do 110. I wondered why they were easy.

I also did 3x8 of skull crushers with 20 lbs. I really worked up a sweat today. I usually don't sweat that much when I weight lift, but I only rested about 30 secs between sets today.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Well, it is Spring Break for me as well....which means no boxing class this week since all the students are gone (I live near a University so town practically shuts down over Spring Break). Decided to get in three lifting days this week instead of the two and do some boxing practice/cardio on the other two days.

B day for me:

Squats 5x5 @ 140 - Bodyweight + 0.6 lbs (hey, every ounce counts :laugh: ) Not super pretty. I think I was actually nervous about these. Won't say I nailed them, but they were not horrible. Debating on staying here this week or trying 145 on Friday.

Video of set 3: http://youtu.be/t57XFz3-fqg

OHP - 1x4 @ 75, couldn't get the last rep up, just wasn't going to happen. did 4x5 @ 70. Will go back up to 75 next time and keep pounding away at it.

Deadlift - 1x5 @ 135, 165, 190 - I unknowingly gave myself a mental boost because I failed plate math and thought I had 175 as my mid level weight. I got done pulling it and was like "crap, 175 was easy, 190 will be no problem!" Had no problems with the 190. Realized that I only had 165 on the bar as I was driving back to work. Didn't matter though, got the 190.

video: http://youtu.be/o4aUKshzVh4

Added 3x12 leg raises to where my toes were eye level. And then finished with 1 mile @ 6.5 mph on the treadmill. I haven't been doing much running lately and I was a bit surprised at how much work the run took after the lifting. I used to do 2 miles on non lifting days, but this was work.

Now time to drink all the water and eat some more foods.
  • Fittreelol
    Options

Bench is at 115. I'm doing that weight for one more workout, but then I feel confident I'll move up. It is not nearly as hard as the OHP.

From what I've read OHP is typically 65-75%ish of your bench, although it varies ofc. Have you stalled out at all on bench, and have you been adding 5lbs to each lift every session? Your bench will definitely help your ohp (and vice versa) so if you're just naturally behind on progression for bench since you're only adding 5lbs that might be part of the reason why you're hitting a wall.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    spring break hours this week so had to go after work.

A
    Squats; 120lbs 3x5. Felt heavy for some reason even though I ate my heart out this weekend :blushing: Would've done the full 5x5 since I had time but people were waiting.
    Bench: 65lbs 5x5
    Rows: 65lbs 5x5

Dropped rows and bench down (5x5 since I had time) as I got my fractionals in this weekend and I'm going to microload starting next time. I have 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 lb plate sets so I'll be able to go nice and slow, but still increase each time. Now I just need something to carry them with so I don't lose them...

Finished with 20 minutes on the bike seeing as it was after work and I was not in a rush.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's Monday...workout A for me today...after I ate...not liking the lateness..but no difference that I can feel...good workout all around even with the squat fail...

I have to ask how long are your rest periods...???? I ask as I am at 3 1/2mins on all my lifts..I know 5mins is max so...
    From what I've read OHP is typically 65-75%ish of your bench, although it varies ofc

this works for me..My last BP was 118.5...last OHP was 88.5..65-75% of my bench is 77-88.88

Squats @ 175 even with my little leans at 170 didn't think that was a good enough excuse to stay....:bigsmile: and wanted to be lazy and not load all 4 "big plates" 2X25 and 2x35 on my standard bar but had to tonight couldn't fix my "fat" plates on and get to 175. Gonna spend some money on plates this weekend....:drinker:

May have hit my fail weight today for these...(as you can tell I always start my post pre being done...)

Squats @ 175...4x5, 1x4...ick...I use a box to ensure parallel and good thing it was there...my bum touched it and wham I was done...it's lke my body said "screw you woman Im sitting that *kitten* on this box"....:laugh: so it did...thank god for my squat rack and that box Im not sure what have happened if that box hadn't been there let alone rack....:noway:

BP 118.5 today cause i have a spotter today...yah...uh oh rep 5 set 4...yelled at my spotter...he put two fingers under the bar and I thought here was gonna "help"...:blushing: woops...hope he's not too mad...I will have to make it up to DH later tonight I guess...

But 5x5 @ 118.5 RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...feeling good about that.

Rows @ 118.5 because I suck at barbell math...DH says I will get it eventually
    @118.5 2x5, 1x3, 2x2,
    Really have bunged this exercise up...came back after vacation...120 (knew better) went down to 118.5 screwed up maths...so my actually first fail took a while to get here but fine...have I told you how much I hate rows...well not really just feel like I am always failing on them...time for some accessory work maybe.

DH worked out today...but without me the brat :sad: :sad: :sad: and to top it all off he didn't unload his plates...bugger :grumble:

I have a mind to make fun...he was benching 120...but at least he was working out :drinker: