3/7/14: H2O

Water is essential indeed our bodies are made up of anywhere between 51%-75% water! If we don't ingest enough fluid, dehydration can set in quickly. To gauge the importance of water relative to food, consider that severe dehydration can lead to death within a matter of days, whereas we can go for weeks without food.

It's important to realize that we can get our fluid requirements from the food we eat, as well as the fluids we drink. For instance, an orange is 87% water! Good sources of water are:
 Fruits & Vegetables
 Drinks, especially non-caffeinated ones like fruit juice
 And the best source of all… good ol water!

On a scale of 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being great) how would you rate your overall hydration? What are some things you could do to increase this number? What are some good tips to staying hydrated throughout the day?

Replies

• my overall hydration would be a 7. I could drink more water to increase this number. Drinking alot of water to stay hydrated.
  • kochela1
    kochela1 Posts: 1
    overall would be a 8. i could drink water more often to be more hydrated. and drink a lot of water whenever you feel dehydrated instead of caffeine to have good hydration.
  • goodes12
    goodes12 Posts: 3
    I would rate my hydration as a 6. To increase this number, I should drink more water more often to keep myself hydrated. It is important for me to stay hydrated so that I can feel my best every day.
  • Advanna1
    Advanna1 Posts: 2
    My over hydration is 10. I carry arount a water bottle every where I go. I even replace the school milk with water. I somtimes put a dash of lemon jucie in it to make it less boring and more flaverful.
  • I'd say I'm at like a seven, I drink water throughout the day and eating things that can hydrate you can help someone stay hydrated. Being hydrated can help you feel good and look good.
  • I think that my overall hydration is about a 5. I tend to get dehydrated easily and don't drink much of anything besides juice.
  • Id say that I'm a 9. I stay hydrated by always bringing a water bottle with me to school. Plus, water is the only thing that I drink, most of the time.
  • lovea3
    lovea3 Posts: 4
    To me honestly my overall hydration is 5. I mostly drink water after/before/during practice, if i drink water outside of practice I would drink it the most when I am sick. I eat a lot of fruit and some vegetables. I drink flavored v8 to drink something different, I eat lemons before I drink my water at home. I need to drink more water honestly.
  • my overall hydration is a 9 because im always drinking juice! I dont like drinking water but i like juice alot and i need juice whenever i eat and i eat alot so i need juice.
  • ty855023
    ty855023 Posts: 1
    9, because i stay hydrated and drink water all the time:bigsmile:
  • lopezf8
    lopezf8 Posts: 2
    My overall hydration is a 7 or 8. I say this because my favorite thing to drink is orange juice and i have about 4-5 cups a day. I also like to have a bottle of water to drink before bed.
  • My overall hydration is around 7-9. To make this number higher i could drink more water.
  • :drinker: 9 i drink water all the time during baseball i keep hydrating myself with water
  • :drinker: My overall hydration would be an 8 because I drink a at least two botttles of water at school before practice. However, at home I do not drink as much water, I mostly drink milk at home. I should probably drink more water at home because I wake up feeling dehydrated.
  • I would rate my overall hydration as a seven. I don't drink as much as I should but I do stay pretty hydrated during the day. I can drink more water everyday and continue to do that every week. Eating fruit can help maintain hydration during the day as well. :drinker:
  • marinyce
    marinyce Posts: 1
    Myoverall hydration would a 10. I drink water throughout the day so i wont be dizzy and anitactive.
  • You need to drink more water. Because its good for you.
  • thats very good jaynel :wink:
  • No duh ! just kidding you're right, i need to drink more water to(::happy: :smile:
  • I drink milk at home too. I don't drink as much water as you even though I should because I am an athlete. I will try to do that more often.:drinker:
  • lovea3
    i agree with you i know I need to drink more water to stay hydrated.Also sports can help because your drinking water and gatorade too.
  • I also try to drink from keeping dizzy. i may not succeed but at least i try.
  • Same here. I eat lot's of fruit as well and it's refreshing. I love mangos and peaches and bananas and oranges and grapes and all that.
  • lovea3
    i agree with you i know I need to drink more water to stay hydrated.Also sports can help because your drinking water and gatorade too.
  • lopezf8
    lopezf8 Posts: 2
    That is a really smart thing to do. Always aim to drink at least 4 cups of water a day.That is a lot of water
  • I think im a 4. its not that i dont want to, the problem is is that i dont have time.
  • goodes12
    goodes12 Posts: 3
    It's good that you are good at keeping yourself hydrated. I agree with you that instead of drinking things with a lot of caffeine or calories it is much better to drink water more often.
  • I think overall i would be a 9 or 8 on hydration, I slam like 4 or 5 water bottles a day, and some juice too.
  • vossm22
    vossm22 Posts: 3
    My overall hydration is a 7. I usually try to bring a water bottle with me where ever I go. To improve this number, I could eat more fruits and vegetables and drink more water.