Day 1 on Medifast - Calorie Concerns

Options
keopeo
keopeo Posts: 13 Member
Hello MFPals

Today is day one for me on medifast and it was my assumption that you are to consume anywhere from 800-1000 calories. My calorie intake for today will be right under 700 calories. Should I be concerned? Should I eat more? If I exercise, do you "eat back" calories burned??

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    If your calories are under 700 you must not have had enough "lean" and/or "green".
    Do not eat back exercise calories. I would not exercise at all your first week.
  • keopeo
    Options
    Thank you,.... can you take a look at my diary and let me know if you see something I should change?
  • _benjammin
    Options
    You are missing one of your "5" MF meals, there's 100-110 calories.
    Review your Quick Start Guide. Collards are the lowest carb green, you need 3 servings of "Green" so you'd eat 3 cups of collards. Two more cups of collards would be another 60 calories.
    You have no healthy fat since your chicken is skinless. Throw a teaspoon of olive oil or margarine on your chicken or collards, there's another 30 calories.
    It does get easier but even after 3 months I was still referring back to the Guide.
  • keopeo
    Options
    Thank you Benjammin!!

I will take all the advice given :-)
  • keopeo
    Options
    OMG.. How do I stomach the Oatmeal? good grief.. please tell me this is the worst it gets.. any tips???
  • _benjammin
    Options
    Oatmeal is terrible!!!
    I got a muffin recipe from my coach. My wife and I actually really like them and still eat them regularly. One caveat, pumpkin was considered a "green" years ago but has since been removed from the MF "approved" greens. You can omit the pumpkin or consider it a "condiment" but I got scolded on the MF Boards for even suggesting that.

4 packets any MF oatmeal except blueberry
    > > 1 packet MF eggs (or 1 egg)
    > >1 packet vanilla shake or chai latte
    > >1 tbsp baking powder
    > >1/2 can pumpkin (7 oz)
    > >1/4 tsp nutmeg
    > >1/4 tsp cinnamon
    > >1/2 cups water
    > >
    > >Preheat oven to 375. Pam spray a muffin tin that holds 6 muffins and fill
    > >with muffin mix. Bake 15-20 minutes.
    > >
    > >One muffin = one meal (the nutmeg and cinnamon are condiments). The pumpkin
    > >is a little bit of you green. You can eliminate the pumpkin and spices just increase the water 1/4 cup.

I double the recipe because one can of pumpkin is 14 oz , my muffin tin holds 12, and my wife eats them but the do go bad (moldy) in less than a week. So if you make a batch just plan to eat them all in few days. Also, I cook them for a full 20 minutes.

I've got a chocolate muffin recipe using the brownie mix and/or pudding, can't remember and don't have it in front of me.
  • keopeo
    Options
    Thanks Again!! I will have to try this! However, my method today was a spoon full of oatmeal followed immediately by water.. they only way I could finish it.. yucko!!! I will try the muffins!
  • swolf6
    swolf6 Posts: 1
    Options
    I put a half of a cup of unsweetened almond milk over my oatmeal.
  • kmarshalljansen
    kmarshalljansen Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the Oatmeal, at least at first! Every palate is different, but here were my favorites early on:

Ready to Drink Chocolate Shakes
    Honey Mustard/Cinnamon Pretzels
    Crunch Bars
    Chewy Bars
    Brownie Soft Bakes
    Chocolate Chip Soft Bakes
    Pudding Smoothies

It took me a while to get used to a lot of stuff, but those were all fairly good from day one. For the first week, if you don't like something, you shouldn't eat it! Just eat the stuff you like the most, and add more things as you keep going!

Good luck!

Marshall

--
    http://weightlossachievementunlocked.blogspot.com/
  • wendyrvp
    wendyrvp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Its so funny how different our taste buds are. I love the oatmeal. I did not like the brownies or cookies cooked but eat them raw like a pudding or mousse. I did not like the sloppy the mac n cheese or the sloppy joe at all either. I eat bars a lot and LOVE the cold cereal with a little almond milk. I like the preztels as well.
    Just remember you can doctor them up, add some spice or sf flavors to your liking.
  • keopeo
    Options
    Update!!

Yesterday I made a oatmeal muffing just using baking powder, baking soda, water and vinegar and a little cinnamon and it was GREAT! I ate it warm out the oven and probably could have used a little bit of butter for my fat but I didnt but it was good nonetheless!!
  • S4M4N7H4
    S4M4N7H4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 2, good luck!!! :happy: