Home A1C tests??

Options
I was wondering if anyone has had success with the home A1C tests. My test in early Jan was 10.4 when I was diagnosed. At that time my readings were 180-250 at all times. I'm scheduled for bilateral knee surgery in April and they would do it unless I could bring it down.

I've lost close 35 lbs since seeing the doctor in December and lowered my readings. Hopefully this will be enough to keep the surgery on schedule.

My doctor will check it the week before my surgery but I'm impatient. My daily readings now are in the high 90's and low 100's. I used the Bayer A1C test and it came out 6.9. Not sure of the accuracy and was wondering if anyone else has used it.

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi;

I have past experience using Bayer's home test kit in addition to using the Walmart ReliOn brand home test kit.

The Bayer kit offers 2 tests for A1C results in minutes. The ReliOn kit offers one A1C test to be sent via mail to an independent lab for sample processing, with the results given via email, or regular mail, within a couple days of receipt.

When comparing these two kits to my regular local lab draws, I've found the ReliOn to be a closer match over the Bayer test result.

http://www.relion.com/diabetes/a1c-test

My local Walmart offers the Bayer kit @ $29.88 and the ReliOn kit @ $8.98.

I have an upcoming A1C lab draw this month, and have one test left using the Bayer kit, and one fresh Relion kit for testing comparison, and will post my findings.

It's important to note the expiration dates on these kits before purchase.

Congrats on your weight loss progress, and wishing you the results you're seeking to move forward with your upcoming knee surgery.
  • sandign
    sandign Posts: 56
    Options
    I have one Bayer test left but they are no longer going to be marketed unless someone buys the group from Bayer. They have stopped.

And you are so right about expiration date, especially on ReliOn. I sent one in and it was expired. After checking the shelf at my local WalMart, the 5 they had on the shelf were expired by 3 months. The lab is sending me another one.

Was the Bayer one high or low compared to your lab?

Thanks for the info.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    That's interesting news about Bayer, I didn't know. Thanks for sharing this info.

The Bayer test result was 6.1 vs 5.9 using the Relion kit, with my labs showing a 5.7 result.

I plan to use both kits the morning of my upcoming fasting labs, in addition to testing with my ReliOn Prime meter this time, just before my appointment for a comparison of all 3 test results-and will post my findings.
  • sandign
    Options
    That's good news. Hopefully t hat means when I do the one at the lab 1st week in april it will be better than I expect. I have one Bayer test left and the lab is sending me another ReliOn Prime. Got to get it down for my surgery.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Okay so, this mornings Bayer result is 5.4, had a lab draw within an hour of this result, in addition to sending off the Relion sampling to Olathe, KS for independent lab testing-and will post their findings when available.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Comparing my recent lab result of 5.6 to the Bayer home test result of 5.4-it seems to be pretty close. Still waiting to hear back from the ReliOn lab and this test result . Don't know why its taking so long-as I instructed them to send this result via email almost 2 weeks ago. My last sample when presented, was promptly processed within a week. :grumble:
  • sandign
    Options
    I had the same issue with ReliOn and when I called, it turned out that it took over one week for them to get it. Then it was slow going. You can check the results on line also. Mine were there before the email came.

https://www.reli-ona1c.com/Results/GetResults.aspx

Unfortunately, it tuned out that my test as invalid because it was expired. Was upset and check back at Walmart and everyone on the shelf had expired last November.

I have one Bayer left and another ReliOn (they sent me a free one from the lab) Going to look for the Bayer one and see if I can buy a couple before they are totally gone. Shame they won't be available anymore.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Thanks for the result link. After entering my specimen number and email address, it indicated neither information was on file.

After giving them a call I learned-they didn't receive my test until 3/21 - same as your experience, in addition to a typo entered on my email address during processing by the lab. That being corrected now I'm told to expect my result this evening.

Darn the expired tests on shelves. With such a time sensitive product one would think there would be processes in place to prevent this reoccurring nation wide problem. It's only through communities like this support group can we help to educate ourselves and others with this continuing problematic issue. It's great they sent you a free replacement which speaks to their customer service.

It surprises me too in this day and age of diabetes self-care there aren't more home test products on the market. The Bayer product provides the convenience of results within minutes. I remain hopeful though-and look forward to-new home test products being introduced that provide the same at home convenience as the Bayer product offers.

When comparing the ReliOn cost of $8.98 current issues aside, for a single test over Bayers cost of $14.94 for a single test, the ReliOn test remains a good economical choice for anyone wanting to check their A1C levels at anytime.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    As a final comparison.

The ReliOn home test result; is; 5.8.
    The Bayer test kit result being; 5.4.
    With my local lab draw sampling within the same hour being 5.6.
  • sandign
    Options
    Glad your tests were good. Congratulations. They were all pretty close.

I got the physical address of the lab and when I send my next one in I will send it priority mail. I can't fathom why it takes so long via regular mail. Definitely slow boat to China.

I agree, wonder why there aren't more home tests. The good thing about Bayer is that it's immediate. I hope that someone buys the Bayer division. Otherwise the options become even more limited. Got to look this next week for another Bayer test before they are all gone.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Slow boat to China for sure. I was told "their mail box was backed up with submissions", whatever that means.

I like your idea of sending my future specimens for analysis by priority mail.
  • sandign
    Options
    Let me know if you need the address to send it to.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Orders Being Accepted for A1CNow® Products

"Many A1CNow customers are eager to once again have these important products available in the market and we are delighted to announce that we are now taking orders," says Robert Huffstodt, President and CEO.

:drinker:

http://www.a1cnow.com/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I just received my test results (6 days after mailing which isn't bad) and I have gone down from an initial A1C in January of 7.2 to 6.2. I will be getting a lab test in late May when I see my doctor again.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    That's a wonderful earlnabby. Your dedication towards improvement is paying off!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    That's awesome news earinabby! All your hard work is paying off. ~Lynn /Glucerna