Exercise

Options
Hey, I'm new to the group. I'm on phase one or the protocol, and this Tuesday will be my one month mark. I have some questions about exercise, anything I've read says if you must exercise, do it at 1/3 or regular intensity. I used to do Insanity workout DVDs everyday,but my coach said this was wayyyyyy too much exercise. So all I've been doing lately is walking, squats and planking. What do you guys do? And do you really need that extra protein packet if you do exercise? I prefer not to have it because the food is expensive!

Replies

• sdkyne
    sdkyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just walk. When I've gone overboard like doing some intense garden work that requires heavy lifting and breaking a sweat, I've gotten really dizzy and thought I would pass out. I'm going into phase 3 this week and will be cranking up the excercise. I have a FitBit, I'm aiming for 10k steps via running and I want to start strength training.

I think you are on the right track with what you are currently doing. I never ate an extra pack of food for the same reason, cost. I would love to know how Insanity treats you when you are in Phase 3!
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi!

My coaches have said no exercise that requires exertion, because you will start losing muscle. Muscle is a big deal because your heart is a muscle! Insanity is probably insane at this point, lol. Yoga and walking are perfect choices. I do yoga and Pilates 2-3 times a week and it's been really awesome.

Just think, as soon as you get done with phase 1, it won't be as bad financially. I have been buying some product on ebay because with shipping included, I can get packets as low as $3 & change.

Good luck and congrats!
  • macpheesteph
    Options
    Thanks ladies! And I'm hoping insanity will give me killer results, a friend of mine did it and he lost 30 pounds in 60 days, without a meal plan!
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So I see this IP/exercise topic a lot... It seems to me that if I exercised more in the first place, I wouldn't be in a situation where I was overweight and needed a strict program like Ideal Protein, because I would be losing my weight through standard diet and exercise!

Thoughts?

(and yeah, although I've increased my exercise over the summer, watch out for the aerobic stuff because without the carbs hanging around in your body, your muscles are at risk of being sabotaged in order to find that source of energy - see "gluconeogenesis")
  • cindirookbanman
    Options
    BTW - the other week I did a lot of exercise and I lost only 1.2 lb. I was disappointed because usually 2 to 2.5 each week. ...until my coach pulled out the measuring tape - I that week alone, I lost a combined total of 4.5 inches!! 1" each on bust, ribs, hips, and .5" on waist and each thigh

Did I mention that I really love IP?
  • wknmom
    wknmom Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That is so encouraging! Good for you! I have a question... what should I be measuring to get a total on the weight loss? I have been measuring what is suggested here on MFP, or what came up automatically, which is neck waist and hips. What else should I measure?
    BTW - the other week I did a lot of exercise and I lost only 1.2 lb. I was disappointed because usually 2 to 2.5 each week. ...until my coach pulled out the measuring tape - I that week alone, I lost a combined total of 4.5 inches!! 1" each on bust, ribs, hips, and .5" on waist and each thigh

• cindirookbanman
    Options
    My coach measures the following:
    Bust
    Under-bust (which I call ribs, but really meaures that back fat)
    Waist at belly button
    Hips/belly
    Butt
    Top of thigh
    Skinny part of arm above bicep (optional)
    Neck (optional)
    That is so encouraging! Good for you! I have a question... what should I be measuring to get a total on the weight loss? I have been measuring what is suggested here on MFP, or what came up automatically, which is neck waist and hips. What else should I measure?

• macpheesteph
    Options
    I agree that generally if you exercise more to begin with you wouldnt need to be on the program, but my problem was really really poor eating habits, i was always fairly active. i would love to know what kind of exercise you're doing to get those results! i have been limiting myself to squats, crunches, etc. but I have hit a plateau and didnt lose any weight last week, and i didnt even cheat!
  • MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My coach suggested that I dont exercise for the first week on the program so I followed her advice and I was glad because my first week was tough. I have been on the program for 4 weeks and the last three, I have been going to the gym. I love to bike and do the spin class. I also do light weights. I don't work out to the intensity that I am used to but I know I will in time. I make sure to have a protein drink right after my work out and its been great. I have lost 15 pounds in four weeks and feel wonderful. In fact I am off to Spin class tonight! I joined the gym three years ago and so when I joined IP, I let my coach know that excerise would continue to be part of my life and she worked with me. In lucky to have a good coach!
  • jan5500
    jan5500 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It is the aerobic exercise my IP coach cautioned me about (and I kept asking). We want to keep burning fat reserves, not have our bodies look to lean muscle for energy.
  • ChampagneHrglss
    ChampagneHrglss Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't really exercise beyond playing tug of war with my dog (she's a pit mix though, so she's got some serious tug skills and that's like a 75lb arm workout for 15 minutes every time we play) and my once-a-week burlesque school. However, that's going to be over mid-April and I think after that I might start taking some dance classes. My general plan is to not worry about the exercise thing at all until I reach phase 2, and then I'll get back into a routine. I'm lazy LOL.
  • Button400
    Button400 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Good for you one month in! I lost about 20 lbs the first time I did IP and have been on and off ever since. Hit actually below my goal weight. Love the products, and the results. I go up and down now about 5-8 lbs. Am up right now, so doing a re-boot starting today through Easter. Will need to re-engage on this post for support and focus so glad to find you all!

Listen to your coach, but I will admit, I exercise a ton once I hit Ketosis, which usually takes me about 3 days. I think it depends on how much you want to lose. My coach (who is also a trainer) didn't like that I exercised as much as I did, but she understood. I am a long time runner and I can't go without. That said, I do add another packet on a big exercise day. There is a video on this that said it is fine. Good luck!