Quick breakfast ideas

Options
Gatubela01
Gatubela01 Posts: 12 Member
Breakfast is often the most challenging meal of the day for me because you can't make a lot of healthy egg-based recipes in advance. I try to avoid carb/sugar-heavy cereals, and I'm generally not satisfied with just a piece of fruit. So my question for you, my fellow cash-strapped graduate students, is how do you make breakfast work while staying healthy and still getting to those pesky morning stats classes on time?

Replies

• anzyyyy
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is a smoothie! If you have time in the morning you can make one with fruit and add in some protein powder or whatever you want, otherwise... I like to keep a few of those Naked green machine smoothies in my fridge. If I'm running late I grab one of those. :smile:
  • MeyMey_91
    Options
    Don't know if this helps but I like to just boil or poach a couple of eggs on a sunday for each day of the week- They keep really well in the fridge over that week so don't worry about them spoiling. That and a banana( or whatever fruit you prefer )does the trick for me
  • lannasster
    Options
    I cook oats at the beginning of the week and put them in the refrigerator to heat up each morning. One day I might throw in a few frozen blueberries (I buy these by the bulk) and cinnamon or a scoop of chocolate whey and peanut butter. Other days I make smoothies with stuff I have in my kitchen. This generally includes spinach, fruits, whey, peanut butter etc. I experiment a lot. If I'm extremely strapped for time and don't have oats prepared I will eat a piece of toast with peanut butter.
  • Gatubela01
    Gatubela01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I definitely have boiled eggs on hand all the time. I use them on salads for a little protein boost sometimes.
  • natalkaa
    natalkaa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The night before I take 1/3 cup chia seeds, add 1/2 cup almond milk, some strawberry or other chopped up fruit pieces and I'm ready to go in the morning!
    It's like a delicious pudding cup when the seeds absorb the milk :)
  • hopeless_rhomantic
    hopeless_rhomantic Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I invested in a nutribullet (about $100) and I make a smoothie every morning. half green (kale or spinach) and half fruit (normally anything from pineapples, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi) and half water. and a teaspoon honey when i hate the flavor.
  • rom838love
    rom838love Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Turkey (or just veggie!) Frittatas!
    Ingredients: ½ lb Lean Ground Turkey Breast (optional), 1/4 tsp cumin, 1 T vegetable oil, 1 chopped green bell pepper, 2 cups sliced mushrooms, 1 T chopped chipotle peppers, 2 cups egg substitute or 8 eggs, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 1 cup shredded low-fat Mexican blend cheese, 1/3 cup green onions

Directions:
    Heat oven to 350°F. Mist 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Cook ground turkey as specified on the package. Cook to well done. Sprinkle with cumin; stir to mix. In large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil, green pepper, mushrooms and chipotle peppers. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are cooked. In large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and cilantro until well mixed. Stir in turkey, cheese, mushroom mixture and green onions.
    Spoon mixture into muffin cups, filling approximately ¾ full. Bake 20 minutes or until set.

Nutritional Information:
    Calories 100 Fat 3.5g
    Protein 15g Cholesterol 30mg
    Carbohydrates 2g Sodium 140mg
    Fiber 0g Saturated Fat 1.5g
    Sugars 1g