Ladies who lift

Options
How did you get started? I've read so much about the benefits of strength training on keto, but how do you get started? I'm currently doing 3 cardio workouts a week for about an hour at the time (walks or elliptical) and I'm interested in adding a weight lifting routine of some nature, but I'm something of a weakling. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I got started lifting with cross fit and I LOVE it! I like the coached atmosphere for learning lifts and I LOVE how motivating it is to see other strong women at the gym. In just 10 months my max weights have gone from dead lift 130 backsqaut 80 push press 60 to DL 230 be 200 pp 115! I have lost inches and feel so much stronger in daily life; start lifting and never look back!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Crossfit for me too.
  • teddiebare
    teddiebare Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started with The New Rules of Lifting for Women. But that's kind of a complicated routine, I highly recommend Strong Lifts 5x5 now to newcomers. 3 exercises, 2-3x a week, easy peasy. That's what I'm working on right now. And it's free. Here's a link to the beginner strength training routine:
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

I also LOVE me some Nerd Fitness. If you aren't ready for weights, you can always start with body weight routines. Here's a list of all of their free workouts:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/workouts/

I see WAY more results with lifting than I do with cardio. And you don't have to kill yourself with long routines. I get my workouts done in 30 minutes 3x a week. I also run 2.5 miles 2x a week or do HIIT. Once you start to feel strong and see what your body can do, you get hooked. I went from barely being able to lift my 20lb toddler (due to a back injury) to deadlifting 130 lbs. It's really liberating not having to rely on people to help you with heavy things all the time.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy off & on for over 15 years. I swear by 5x5 Stonglifts (Madcow version). It's all compound lifts (you work more than one muscle group at a time) and quick. I can get one intense session done in about 25 minutes, and it's only 3x per week. I have some progress pics in my profile. I do 20-30 min of HIIT on the highest level of the elliptical almost daily. If you can't tell, I'm all about efficiency. Most recently I've been adding yoga 5-6 times weekly for the stretches and bodyweight work. For on the go workouts I like the Gorilla app.
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations and the linkage :) I think I'm going to check out Nerdfitness and work my way up to the 5x5. You are all great motivation for me :)