My life just unraveled at mile 16

Options
2»

Replies

• beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    props on the oatmeal post!

I've felt those nagging, "why am I even doing this?!" thoughts too. Running is definitely a mental game, be it long distances or ridiculous pace. Your body is sending all sorts of warning signals to the brain. "Stahp! You're hurting me!" It takes a lot of mental strength and confidence to convince your body to keep going. Some times your legs give out, sometimes your brain gives out. But in the end, on the long term: You get it done. Because you decided to do it. So you do.

Don't let one bad workout freak you out.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    "But in the end, on the long term: You get it done. Because you decided to do it. So you do."

Love that :)
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sports psychology is so important the success of some many great athletes. Baseball players, golfers, runners, ice skaters who are professionals constantly surrounded by self doubt use specific tools to encourage and calm themselves. Its all about a "process" and then sticking to that process.

They usually have a routine that calms them in the moment
    They usually have a mantra

I am new to running, for baseball and golf I have a list ..but not specifically for runners.

There is a saying, "dont hang around bad neighborhoods", sometimes when I am alone in negative thoughts .... I find a way to get out of that self created bad neighborhood. When I pulled a hamstring doing speed work in Jan, there was a lot of negative self talk when I returned at 50% workload. This Saturday for my long run, from mile 15-18 I was talking bad to myself; I am running a marathon for a charity for special needs kids called Casey's Clubhouse Miracle League Fields. I thought of the kids who wanted to play baseball but were in wheelchairs, or their parents that just wanted an hour break to sit in the stands and watch there kids play like main stream parents do .... it helped with perspective quickly. On a less noble thought, my 250+lbs buddy has run 3 marathons ..."If Dougie can I can" .... I can get there just one step at a time
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Feeling much better today after a recovery run last night that wasn't easy but pushed through. Now, looking back at my post, I feel kinda stupid and whinny for letting this rattle me like it did. Regardless it is probably good to be humbled every once in awhile just to keep yourself in check. I do now have a ton of good advice to help get (and keep) my head right the next time I go out for long distance. Only issue is that it is a step down week so this weekend is back at half marathon distance before it ramps back up in with a 20 miler. I'll have to hold on to that anticipation until then.
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I echo what everyone's already said about mental toughness. Marathons are hard. Training for marathons, IMO, is even harder.

That said...

Dude, you're training too hard.

Based on a 7:30-8:00 5K RACE pace (note that it's RACE pace), your RACE pace for the full marathon should be around 8:55/9:00, finishing around 3:55/4:00.

Given that you're running your long runs at 9:00, you're training at your RACE pace. No good. You're essentially doing a long-distance race every week. That's bad news.

Your long run (the 15, 17, 19, 20, 22 milers) TRAINING pace for a marathon should be comfortably slower than your RACE pace. McMillan would put you around 9-10:00/mile on your weekend long runs. I'd say around 9:30 should be your sweet spot. Work on your speed on shorter, speed/tempo runs, not on your long run.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Let me second Legallyblonde, you are training too hard (IMO).

Granted, at age 60, I am not a speed demon, but I also have two marathons under my belt since November 2013 and am preparing for No. 3 in April.

How fast can you run the single mile without puking? Take that pace, multiply that by 1.3 and that is your approximate pace for a marathon with all the associated training running towards your maximum limit.

Personally, I follow a plan that has the long, slow endurance runs set at two minutes per mile SLOWER than the theoretical marathon pace (at 60 °F or lower. Add 30 seconds per mile for every 5 degrees above 60 °F). There is some divergent view on how fast you should go but most do not suggest that you run anywhere near what your race pace is going to be unless you are willing to rest one day for every mile that you run those long runs at that pace (that is the generally guideline for marathon recovery if you are putting out your maximum effort for the 26.2 miles). You can do some shorter distance speed work at higher intensity and it is all about pushing your limits. But the real progress comes not from pushing, but from recovering.

Two other things. First, everyone I know that trains for marathons (that aren't keeping some high level of preparedness between marathons spaced a few weeks or months apart) experiences the following: Every time the mileage from the previous long run is exceeded, the feeling of fatigue begins to set in. And when fatigue sets in, so do doubts and you realize that this is really, really hard.

Second, every once in a while you'll have a really bad run. Training for my first marathon, my runs at 6, 8 and 10 miles were good. My run at 12 miles was a breeze even in extremely warm and humid conditions. But the run of 14 miles was a disaster and I kept telling myself I could go faster under the conditions that I should or could. I would have been much better off walking the entire 14 miles and it would have been more effective and accomplished the same endurance benefits. I really doubted I was going to be able to do a marathon and maybe should lower my goal to a half instead.

Fortunately, the runs at 17, 20 (in the rain. it was good practice because most marathons go on rain or shine with the exception of severe weather) and 23 were great.

But the 26 miler four weeks before the race, not so good. Oh, it was good up through 24 miles and it quickly went downhill from there. Lesson learned was be careful with water that is too cold to really take into your stomach. Swirl it around in your mouth, let it cool the blood around your mouth and tongue. A shock to your stomach and intestines can be pretty painful. I made it through ,but I wasn't as satisfied as I had been with the previous long runs.

Oh, one other thing...don't make up for something you "missed" or didn't feel like you didn't do enough of in the last 3-4 weeks of your race. It can really drag you down. Three weeks before my first marathon, I was to do a 10-mile run. It's hard for me to run in an exclusively flat area here, but I chose an extra hilly area and did 1600 vertical feet in 10 miles. Trust me, that was not smart. It took all three weeks to have my legs feel like I had recovered while doing my weekday and other weekend runs...and I had to slow way down.

My second marathon on February 6th, I felt seriously undertrained because of so many issues associated with taking care of my wife after her knee replacement surgery. I missed a lot of short and long training runs and my longest training run was 18 miles (scheduled for 20 but I couldn't stay warm enough so I bagged it at 18). But the runs I did were quality runs and on the shorter runs, I was actually faster than I had been prior to my first marathon. I had the advantage of having run a marathon, knew how my body held up (or didn't) and was running a fairly flat course at Hilton Head. It was cold and wet. The week before they had ice everywhere. On marathon day, it started raining at mile 3 and it basically rained until mile 22 with a couple of very short breaks at mile 17. I couldn't control that but I could choose how hard to run and how good I could feel at the end.

As a small marathon, I had less opportunity to challenge myself by "winding people in" but I made a game of it when I could. And I enjoyed the moment of nothing feeling seriously hurt (tired, yes) at the end of the race.

Here's the deal. Run the marathon not to exhaustion, but to completion. Know at the end, that you had something left when you came across the line and that you can complete it and feel strong. Then give yourself at least a week, maybe two, before you swear it off for whatever reason or say you are ready to go for the next one.

But when you show up at the start, you'll have to make an assessment of how you are doing that day. Know that you are in an elite group. Resist the temptation to go out too fast just because you get caught up with the crowd or you feel really great. And don't sweat the occasional down day. If you've done the training (and the marathon distance is so honest that you have to do the training), then you should do fine.

Enjoy the moment. It occurs only once on the completion of your first marathon. Non-marathoners or people who imagine what it might be like will be in awe of you.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I started Rock n roll las vegas like that. mentally drained by mile 8 having no clue how i was going to be able to push through it. That was my PR rate. Sounds to me like you mentally werent into it which can totally happen. Dont let this run get you questioning what you are capable of.