Sad with stall

Options
rubisliprz
rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
Currently in a stall for the past 2 months... months 6&7 post surgery. The "hungry" has returned after disappearing nicely for those first months. I have started at a gym about 6 weeks ago, adding in regular exercise is one of the harder things for me. I guess I can be grateful that I don't experience dumping... but then I would have that extra deterrent for sweets. I find that they still go down just fine. I've been feeling bad about this all, and not logging as regularly as I had been. So this is my "confession" and I'm back on track. So I ate too much today... at about 1500 calories. That isn't so bad I guess... in the past a bad day would have been 4000 or more! I made sure that a lot of it was protein, if I'm going to overdo it better be on what my body needs. That's all for now, thank you all for sharing your stories, the real struggles, and your encouragement.

Replies

• Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I'm at month five and no dumping for me either. I feel very guilty when I eat a sweet or a cracker. But you're right to look at this compared to the past. 81 lbs is incredible! Focus on where you've come from. Exercise is also my biggest challenge - but the weather is getting nicer so I'm sure you'll be motivated to get out more with that 80 lbs gone...get some new spring clothes :) Hang in there!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Great job acknowledging what you're doing wrong and getting back on track. I am only about 5 months out (almost), but I am already experiencing the return of 'hunger'

The awesome thing about WLS is that the tool is still there. We just need to use it. You can do it! You're not done yet!!
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    “Stepping onto a brand-new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation, which is not nurturing to the whole woman.”
    ― Maya Angelo

:flowerforyou:
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I started to stall about month 5 (am now middle of month 6). I changed my workout routine and added some weight training, which seems to have helped. At any rate I can see the inches coming off even when the scale is not talking to me. :smile:

I'm blessed/cursed with the no dumping too. It makes it a little harder relying on willpower alone, but I try to get in protein first and to really pay attention to when I am full. I also find that one or two bites of the sweet/carb tends to satisfy a craving whereas before surgery I had mega portions and no end to the cravings.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    @rubisliprz: Why sad? You are at 80% of your goal in 6 months - that's time to celebrate! How are your proportions? Are you losing inches? Exercise will build muscle which weighs more than fat. This will show a slowdown, or stall in weight loss but your overall fitness and health have improved. Transition your thinking from pounds on a scale to fitness!!!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You know, technically, I stalled about month 5 or 6 as well, but I also lost about 130 lbs during that time as well. I maintained it for about 6 months, then watched my weight start to creep between Halloween and New Years. So now I'm back to tracking and watching what I eat. I've lost about 15 lbs since the new year, so I'm happy with that.

I was talking to my doctor on Friday, during my 18 month post op check up. We were talking about maintenance. To be honest, I'm nervous about officially being on maintenance. I've never done maintenance before. I've always been trying to lose. He said that there will be ups and downs. That I'll play with about the same 10 lbs all the time. He said the most important thing will be to be vigilant. Make sure you still weight yourself, and make sure you still exercise portion control.

So I wonder if I haven't already simply entered maintenance mode without really realizing it.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You know, technically, I stalled about month 5 or 6 as well, but I also lost about 130 lbs during that time as well. I maintained it for about 6 months, then watched my weight start to creep between Halloween and New Years. So now I'm back to tracking and watching what I eat. I've lost about 15 lbs since the new year, so I'm happy with that.

I was talking to my doctor on Friday, during my 18 month post op check up. We were talking about maintenance. To be honest, I'm nervous about officially being on maintenance. I've never done maintenance before. I've always been trying to lose. He said that there will be ups and downs. That I'll play with about the same 10 lbs all the time. He said the most important thing will be to be vigilant. Make sure you still weight yourself, and make sure you still exercise portion control.

So I wonder if I haven't already simply entered maintenance mode without really realizing it.

your doctor spoke with honesty and gave good advice, at 3 years out i know those 5-10 pounds to play with.
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Many thanks to all of you for your wisdom and perspective shared. It helps so much to hear from people who are right about where I am post-op, as well as those out more than a year or two. Some of you by my side and some of you paving the trail ahead of me!
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    @rubisliprz: Why sad? You are at 80% of your goal in 6 months - that's time to celebrate! How are your proportions? Are you losing inches? Exercise will build muscle which weighs more than fat. This will show a slowdown, or stall in weight loss but your overall fitness and health have improved. Transition your thinking from pounds on a scale to fitness!!!

I agree 100%

We get so obsessed with the number on the scale we don't realize what is REALLY happening! Rubi you're doing GREAT!!