New to the group

Options
PeaceVegan
PeaceVegan Posts: 37 Member
Hello everyone! My name is Heather and I have been on this site for a couple of years now. I started out at 337 lbs and lost 106 lbs a year or so ago. Well, life happened – no excuses, but I gained about 55 lbs of that back. I was frustrated and ashamed so I deleted my profile. Basically, I gave up … that was how I have dealt with issues in the past and that obviously hasn’t worked for me. My issue is I am a closet eater, especially when things are bothering me. If no one sees me eat the chocolate, it doesn't count, right?? Well, maybe not 1 or 2 bits, but a whole bag? Yeah, they are going to notice. This is something I have struggled with my whole life ... it started with my dad that tried to make me feel bad about eating so I would lose the weight - yeah, the exact opposite thing happened.

So, I started a new profile and I am 289 lbs and I’m not gonna lie, it sucks. I know what it’s like to have the confidence that comes with having lost the weight, but here I am. I need to learn to deal with stress other than food.

Anyway, I am back trying to figure this out all over again. I will not give up … I miss that confidence I used to have and I will get it back again!

Replies

• becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi... and congrats for joining again. I am new to the site too and have a LIFE LONG struggle with weight and self esteem. Would love to be a part of your journey if you are interesting. Will friend now!!!!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    WOW how courageous of you to rejoin!!. Falling off the horse is one thing, getting back onto it is so much harder and takes some real personal insight to do.

Good luck on this stretch of your journey to master dealing with food and emotion
  • shimah32
    Options
    Hi all. I'm new too. I've been on myfitnesspal for almost a year now, after I gave birth. I had a few pregnancies (only one carried to term) from 2010-2013 and after I gave birth in Feb 2013 I was 26 kilos heavier than I was before my first pregnancy, but it was in large part due to boredom, depression and over eating, I have now lost the weight and am back in shape (since august) but last few weeks I have been really struggling with maintenance. I give myself one 'off' day a week to eat as much as and whatever I want, and I lost a lot of weight that way because I exercise a lot (around 6 hours of intense exercise a week). But lately I've been having off days 2-3 days a week because I'm bored, frustrated and depressed. I haven't gained weight yet but I will and I don't want all the effort I've put in to be for nothing! I don't buy comfort food in the house but when I get those moods I can eat large amounts of ANYTHING...even bread and cheese! I can't always get out and distract myself because I have a baby and money issues mean I'm mostly stuck at home. Don't know what to do
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm new too. I've been on myfitnesspal for almost a year now, after I gave birth. I had a few pregnancies (only one carried to term) from 2010-2013 and after I gave birth in Feb 2013 I was 26 kilos heavier than I was before my first pregnancy, but it was in large part due to boredom, depression and over eating, I have now lost the weight and am back in shape (since august) but last few weeks I have been really struggling with maintenance. I give myself one 'off' day a week to eat as much as and whatever I want, and I lost a lot of weight that way because I exercise a lot (around 6 hours of intense exercise a week). But lately I've been having off days 2-3 days a week because I'm bored, frustrated and depressed. I haven't gained weight yet but I will and I don't want all the effort I've put in to be for nothing! I don't buy comfort food in the house but when I get those moods I can eat large amounts of ANYTHING...even bread and cheese! I can't always get out and distract myself because I have a baby and money issues mean I'm mostly stuck at home. Don't know what to do

Hi, well you've identified that you are on the slippery slope (as the slang goes).
    You have also identified that you are bored, frustrated and depressed - congratulations - you know how you feel.
    Its a hard job being a mum.
    I can suggest a few things, putting the child in a pram and going for long walks - if the weather permits.
    Find a play group in your area and meet some other mums who might want to do some stuff together.
    But essentially you have to want to stop over eating. All the evidence shows us that we will go back to being bigger and unhealthy.
    Some form of relaxation therapy (tapes on meditation) or stuff that you enjoy can help reset your mind.
    I've been big all my life and I know that wanting to stop over eating and actually doing it are to different things.
    Just have a go at not over eating a day at a time. Write down how you are feeling.
    Lock yourself in the bathroom and scream occasionally.
  • lauradecharlotte
    Options
    I am new also joined today i was in one of those relationships that was dangerous for a long time add that with an emotional eater and boom 460. I finally got the strength to leave sad it came 8 years later but now im 2 years free and had gotten down to 300 but things have been bouncing up and down i have shot back to 360 and im taking it one day at a time i dont want to be skinny i would just like to feel comfortable in my own skin.
  • Midlife_Crazy
    Midlife_Crazy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! Am new here as well. And have to say, "Wow that last post, with just a few minor alterations, could have been written by me." Weird to think that although we are all different and our experiences are unique to each of us, that others have still gone through, or are going through similar stuff.
  • GMStb10
    GMStb10 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm helen and I am an emotional eater and chocoholic. I joke but the last two weeks I have been so angry at myself because I have been really motivated and healthy eating, to then uncontrollably eating huge amounts of chocolate and sabotaging my owns efforts for no logically reason. The only reason I lost weight this week is because I have gone from doing no exercise to doing allot, as soon as my body gets use to the exercise I will be putting weight on. Must stop eating the chocolate, started paul mckenna's programme this week, hoping it free's me from this stupid habit.
    Feel free to add me and we can support each other
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    Hello,

I have struggled with emotional eating since I was a child. Food was my primary coping mechanism growing up. I still struggle with food regularly, but I have managed to a couple of other coping mechanisms that work for me. Boredom: I need to keep my hands busy. For the other range of emotions: yoga, walking, taking a bath, or journaling. A pay for use website that might be of interest to you: www.shrinkyourself.com Anyone that needs a bit of support feel free to add me.
  • tazbear1989
    tazbear1989 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as Carla. I have been an emotional/compulsive eater since I was a child. I knew in the back of my mind, but didn' really and truly admit until just recently when a friend/daughter's teacher came out that she is battling anorexia and bulimia. Made me take a very hard look at myself and realize that I need to change things if I want to actually live life and not just go through the motions.

But with each other's support, we can do this and be successful. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Crystallee145
    Crystallee145 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my name is Crystal. I've been on MFP for a while, and just found this group. I struggle with emotional eating - it is what has helped me get here. I am getting better at finding other emotional outlets than food. I still 'fall of the wagon' more than I want to admit. I'm on a weight managment program thru the Univeristy of Michigan's Metabolism clinic meeting with a doctor and nutritionist regularly. It's quite interesting and when I dont emotional eat I do well. I also meet with a counselor to work out the emotions.

One book I've read that has help is Susan Albers "50 ways to self soothe" that book has helped a lot!
  • sfsoccermom2
    sfsoccermom2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also new here. I have struggled with emotional eating since I can't even remember. I've been up and down so many times. I also seem to do well, and then it hits me like a ton of bricks and I can't refocus. I need to break this cycle. I'm looking for any friends that want to walk the journey with me. Feel free to add me.
  • lapetitedork
    Options
    Hi all, my name is Valerie. I've been using MFP sporadically for several months to log food, but have never branched out into the online community. I'm a 21-year-old college student with a tendency to binge eat when stressed; this is primarily a mental journey for me, in addition to a physical one. I'm looking to find and give support, so please don't hesitate to add me.

Sending good vibes to all of you!
  • MrsMichel
    MrsMichel Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Gigi. Been on MFP for a few years, on and off. Looking for daily support buddies and challenges. Add me, and I'll help support you too.