water tips

Options
tazbear1989
tazbear1989 Posts: 22 Member
I can't believe I am asking this but I need some ides on how to get half my weight in water on a daily basis. I think I might start floating. J/k. Please all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dawn

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't mean to be dense, but why do you need or want to drink half your weight in water daily? I am assuming oz's to lb's conversion, but good grief, if I did that, I'd be drinking more than a gallon of water per day. I can do that in the heat of summer and/or when I'm working out heavily, but I honestly force it to get close to the 100 oz mark.

Depending on the sources you read, some suggest that drinking 64 oz of water a day is sufficient. The article I saw pointed out that our ancestors didn't have handy water bottles to sip from constantly, on the other hand, our ancestors seldom had the weight loss needs we face today.

Anyway, I'm just wondering, did your doctor tell you to do this, or is this something you just think you need to do? Please don't think I'm attacking, I'm honestly just curious, if doubtful that it needs to be done. 64 to 96 oz per day, especially if it truly is water without additives, should be sufficient for most anybody.

Let the religious arguments over the benefits of copious water ingestion begin!
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've read that "half your body weight" idea, and I do try to drink a lot of water, but it is difficult to drink that much for me!

Some tips I use to get more water are:

Drink a cup of water (8 oz.) in the morning before your normal beverage or breakfast. Try after brushing your teeth. Or just stand at the sink a "down" 8 ounces...it isn't that much really.

Do this same thing before bed. I've read that a glass of water at rising and before bed will help your body work better.

Drink only water with all meals (except breakfast... I NEED my coffee then).

Add lemon to your water.

Drink a hot "tea" of water with fresh ginger and honey. You get water and the ginger and honey are good for you.

Drink water before, during, and after your workouts.

These are the things I do most often, and I've found that the more I drink water the more it becomes my beverage of choice.
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Dan, some of the exercise experts who are popular now are saying this about the amount of water a person should drink. Divide your weight in half and drink that amount of water in ounces. It sounds a bit excessive, especially for those of us with a lot of weight still to lose. I try to not get less than 64 ounces and count any overages as a bonus.
  • hollyla9905
    hollyla9905 Posts: 508
    Options
    I have heard this but I don't know how realistic that is if someone needed to drink 20 cups of water a day!

But to increase your water, I had to bargain with myself a lot! I started with 1 cup a day, then 1 water bottled before I could have diet coke, I love diet coke! Than I went to 1 water bottle and a water in between each pop! Now I allow myself only 1 pop a day, a usually don't finish it and the rest is tea and water and recently I added in 1 milk at night cause I'm not getting enough dairy!

I guess in the end you need to convince yourself to drink your water from 1 cup 20 and just go with it! Don't beat yourself up if you can't drink 20 cups of water a day! Little steps
  • tazbear1989
    tazbear1989 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Dward, I didn't feel like you were attacking me on the water. I understand the questioning behind it. It is something that the "newer" and more popular trainers have suggested. With my weight, it is a gallon a day, but I also have a physical job and sometimes get just busy enough that I forget to drink. I am also trying to wean off soda and sugar because I have an addiction to it; I noticed that if I am full of water and sloshing around like yesterday the sweets craving isn't there and neither is the carb craving.

I am going to start out increasing a little each day or every other day. Can't afford to spend more time in the bathroom than working. Thank you for responding, I do appreciate it. Sorry that I didn't get to you sooner, but I work second shift and I was at the end of my dinner break when I posted.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water during the day when I'm at work. Somehow it gets more difficult when I'm home. What I do is I have this tall glass (it says 26oz). It's here on my desk so every time I look at it I have some water. When it gets empty, then i go get more. I usually refill it three times during the day. I'm getting 104oz of water a day (not half my weight, but close), and that's definitely enough for one day.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    You can best determine your need for water based on the color of your urine. The darker yellow the more water you need. If it is clear like water, you need to cut back. It should be a very pale yellow.

If your ankles are swollen, you are either drinking too much water, ingesting too much sodium or both.

If you have any type of heart problems, it is not wise to drink an excessive amount of water as that makes you more susceptible to pneumonia.

An excessive thirst coupled with excessive urination is an indicator for diabetes.