Could this be right?

Options
kelleybean1
kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
I've been wearing my armband for several months now. Suddenly, yesterday and today my calories burned numbers have jumped up by about 500 calories. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm doing the same exercise routine, and my # of steps is fairly close to my fitbit count. (I've been wearing both for about a month now) Do you think my BM is going faulty?

Replies

• lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Are your daily activity levels (moderate and vigorous) about the same as they've always been? I know I have days when I think I've been about as "busy" as I normally am but the BMF shows that I was actually more active than normal (resulting in a higher calorie burn).
  • kelleybean1
    Options
    My step count for the day was nearly the same as last week. My activity level has not changed, same routines but a fairly drastic increase in calorie burns. I'm wonerding if my unit is wigging out and going bad.
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It could be a glitch, I suppose, or you could have just spent more time on your feet and active but not really walking. I have days like that, where I think my routine was pretty much the same but I had a much higher burn. But, if I really think about the day, I maybe spent an extra hour in the kitchen baking or doing dishes, crawled around the floor picking up stuff a bit more than usual, etc. and it all adds up.

I have also worn my BMF band and Fitbit Zip simultaneously for about 3 months. While my BMF usually registers a higher burn than my Zip (about 250-400 more), on the very rare occasion that I am almost completely sedentary outside of my AM workout, they are within 50-100 calories of each other. Than means the BMF is registering all the non-step based activity that the Fitbit misses. So, if you see a big difference, this could be it.

I would gather data over a longer period of time before you decide if the BMF is broken or if you really were more active on those days (even if it was just standing up vs. sitting!).
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd call the company and get their tech support... you've been wearing it for months and it suddenly changed. Doesn't sound right to me!
  • kelleybean1
    Options
    I'd love to think that my metabolism has suddenly kicked in to high gear, but . . . it's not likely.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    They are having an issue when you sync your BMF. It's adding calories burned and amount of exercise. We called them last week because it was giving me totally unrealistic burns and hours of moderate exercise.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have the core armband and display. What I have noticed is that the Activity Manager and display don't match, not since last week. The display is still showing me what I assume to be the correct numbers. If I walk for 30 minutes the display shows around 30 minutes of moderate activity. The activity manager will show some ridiculous number, like 3 hours of moderate activity. The vigorous activity still seems to be showing up accurately.

I have contacted customer support, they answered saying they are aware and working on it, but it hasn't changed. I contacted them on Friday.

I urge everyone to contact them and tell them of the problem. We pay a subscription to the website so we have a right to expect it to work. Of course occasional problems are understandable, but they should be fixed in a timely fashion.

This morning I got up, fed my dog and got myself a cup of coffee, according to the activity manager that gave me 10 minutes of moderate activity. According to the display it didn't give me any activity.

I believe the display is correct, because I've been using the device for a long time, and the numbers I've been getting have resulted in the expected weight loss, its only in the last week that the activity manager doesn't match up to the correct numbers on the display.

I have disconnected MFP from bodymedia, and now I'm using the display on "trip" to tell me what I've burned in exercise, and I'm entering that number myself so that bodymedia doesn't give me more calories to eat automatically. However, I am getting a little ticked that they aren't fixing this issue.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to note, this is not the result a broken device, it is something wrong with the Webpage... the display watch will still show the correct numbers.
  • kelleybean1
    Options
    Okay, I checked my display and it is about 500 calories burned a day less than what's printed on the website. This is frustrating. It's after hours, so I can't call till Monday, but I'm steamed about this! Grrr.
  • kelleybean1
    Options
    I called the tech support at BM and they acknowledged that they have a problem with the site exaggerating the burn numbers and are waiving the fee for me for 2 months. I'm pretty peeved by this, they should have had the problem solved by now if they knew about it at the beginning of March.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This is the response I got to my inquiry about the unusual higher burn:

"On March 4th we made some improvements to the system. Because of these improvements, you may notice an more accurate, but slightly higher calorie burn than you are used to seeing.
    If you use a display monitor, you notice differences between the display and Activity Manager. When you sync your data in the Activity Manager, it provides a more accurate and processed analysis of the data as the dispay has a much more abreviated version of the algorithms.

With the recent improvements to our algorithms you may need to adjust your MET's values to better show your energy expenditure.

You can do this through the Settings/Preference portion of the activity manager. Here you will go to the Physical Activity Level and adjust you numbers appropriately. Please let me know if this correction better shows your activity."

So then does this mean I need to lower my MET value or increase it?
  • kelleybean1
    Options
    I got the same email but mine only had the first paragraph. Hmmm. I'm seriously pissed. Why did they go and mess things up???? My BM was already overestimating my burn by about 20%, now its WAY off.
  • kelleybean1
    Options
    Another thing, are they saying that our displays that we PAID for are basically worthless?????