First consult on Friday

Options
I've been thinking about surgery for over ten years and at the time I first looked into it, the surgeons where I lived (in British Columbia Canada) were only doing open RNYs and the waiting list was more than three years to even get to a doctor, let alone get on the surgery wait list.

I see the Weight Wise clinic in Edmonton, AB this coming Friday. It's a nine month process of seeing nurses, nutritionists, exercise therapists and psychologist before possible surgery. From what I understand, they expect you to lost at least 10% of you body weight before they put you on the wait list for surgery (assuming they decide you're a good candidate).

The Gastric Sleeve is what they're mostly doing here now. Since it's Canada, insurance isn't an issue, just program approval.

I'm scared and excited. I have a lot of co-morbidities that could be helped by the surgery (diabetes, blood pressure, arthritis, mild sleep apnea). I've already lost more than 50 lbs. since becoming diabetic, but have had some yo-yoing due to major depression and the numerous medications I take for that (but I'm at a net loss of about 50 lbs.)

Would be grateful for any suggestions of what questions to ask or tips on how to get as much as I can out of the appointment?

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Most of us here in the US have to do 9 months of supervised diet as an insurance so it takes a while here too. Congratulations on making the decision to improve your health permanently. 6 months ago I was pre-diabetic, asthmatic, had high BP, anxiety and chronic pain. I was on 10 different prescriptions and the asthma was not in control. I'm now 5 months post-op, 67 lbs down and wearing a size 8 comfortably. I have 17 lbs to go until I reach the land of "healthy" BMI and hope to get at least 10 lbs inside that range eventually. Today I take no meds except a proton pump inhibitor and the army of supplements required for the rest of my life. I look forward to exercising 5 days per week, (NEVER thought I'd say that). Life is GOOD!
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I thought about it for years before I did it as well, but I am so glad I did! I had many of the same co-morbidities you listed, and I just got to the point where I wasn't getting any younger! lol I am almost 5 months out, down 60 lbs and have cut my BP meds in half, my blood sugar is back to normal (I was pre-diabetic), my asthma symptoms are almost non-existant, and my joint/back pain is greatly improved. I do still need my CPAP for now, but maybe that's something I can get rid of in the future as well. I guess as far as advice I'd say do as much research as you can and always ask questions. I've had a pretty easy recovery so far, but I'm not sure I really believed them when they said "small portions" or "eat slowly"...I thought I had modified my eating through the 6 month preparation, but I hadn't done it nearly enough. As a result I have had a few things come back up on me, or been really uncomfortable after eating. I have to really pln my day and start eating and taking vitamins early so I can get everything in. It's doable, but it takes practice - if you sleep in til noon you'll never get everything in. Also, you'll be getting a lot of information during these next several months between what your doctor and nutritionist tell you, what well-meaning firends who "know someone who had surgery (or had it themselves, and the research you're sure to do online. Just keep in mind that this journey is different for everyone. I can't stress that enough. Your doctors will be primarily concerned with helping you modify your habits and get used to healthier eating pre-surgery, then post surgery it is all about healing. It is a MAJOR surgery. You'll have to have patience and relearn what you can tolerate. For example, some people can eat chicken, I can't (at least not now). I also seem to be able to eat sweets without dumping, so the surgery is not going to be my tool for avoiding that - going to have to do that with willpower. :)
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I, too, had several co-morbidities that qualified me to be considered. That allowed my insurance to approve provided I follow my surgeon's program. My program included monthly visits with the surgeon to track my weight and weekly visits to the nutritionist where I need to chart my eating and exercise on Myfinesspal. I also needed to attend monthly informational sessions and topped off by a visit with a psychologist. Those three aspects - nutrition, surgeon & psych would make or break my surgery. I needed to be physically and mentally prepared before the surgery would be approved.

My suggestion is keep up your excitement and motivation. You need to radiate enthusiasm when you see your surgeon. Be true to yourself and track your daily menu and exercise. Any weight loss surgeon can smell a fake in a second. Sounds like you are ready to prove yourself.

This group was created for support in the entire process of WLS - before, during and after. Bounce any question, share any success or falter and keep stoking your motivational desire. Our wonderful group will be here for you. Good luck.:drinker:
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the program in BC right now through West Coast Bariatrics. My surgeon is Dr Nguyen.
    I waited 18 months to get into the program, and now i'm just waiting for the dietician to sign off for me to meet the surgeon and get my date. I've been signed off by the therapist, and the excersise therapist already.

Nothing really to add, just wanted to say hi to a fellow Canadian! :)
  • MissDez
    MissDez Posts: 3
    Options
    Sounds like BC is still taking a lot longer to get into the program! I had a girlfriend who decided to go to the US and she had her surgery done by the same surgical practice that did Carnie Wilson's surgery. At the time BC was about a three year wait to even hear from the surgeon's office and she was anxious to get going and be able to lose the weight before she could start a family.

I'm very nervous, but looking forward to the consult. I have bought a couple of books on amazon.ca for kindle/iPad on preparing yourself for surgery. I did about half the seminars they run last summer and once the weather warms up and taking the bus is easier, I'll do the rest of them.

I have a Vitamix, so I'll be able to make shakes and puréed things during the soft food stage.

Only two more days!