Surgery is scheduled!

Options
I got the call today that my insurance approved my surgery and it is scheduled for April 4th :-)

Replies

• snickerdoolers
    snickerdoolers Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :wink:
  • sashahanrahan
    sashahanrahan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's great!
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    I know how excited you are and it makes me excited for you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Very excited for you!!!
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Congrats and good luck!!
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it feel good to have a date set after all your preparation? Good for you, and keep on keeping your head and your heart in the right place.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take progress pictures regularly! You'll be amazed to look back and see how quickly your body changes. I still wish I had taken progress pictures monthly.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, and keep us posted.
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I know how exciting that is! I was soooo nervous waiting for the approval process but I only had to wait 3 days thankfully!

I also agree with taking progress pictures. I have 1 pictures of me prior to surgery (I stayed out of pictures unless it was just my face) and took very few along the way. You should really consider doing that. It makes a huge impact seeing those pictures vs looking at the scale.
  • knitnpurlgurl
    Options
    Thank you Everyone :-) I am very excited and Nervous at the same time! LoL Now time to just start my prep and transitioning to more liquids and I have to start cutting back on Coffee because I love my coffee! LOL :-)
  • knitnpurlgurl
    Options
    Yes it is very nice to have a date scheduled! I was lucky and didnt have to wait to long for an approval. I am very happy :-)
  • eric5150ii
    eric5150ii Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Practice sipping your water now. That way, post-op, it is a habit
  • csmccord
    Options

And don't forget your 30/30 rule as well! I found that one hard to get used to.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

And don't forget your 30/30 rule as well! I found that one hard to get used to.

What is the 30/30 rule? Is this something specific to your surgical team? I've never heard of it. ???
  • eric5150ii
    eric5150ii Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The 30/30 rule is no water (or drinking) 30 mins before or after a meal. Drinking with meals can cause the food to be washed through your pouch and cause nutrient mal-absorption.
  • knitnpurlgurl
    Options
    Good suggestion. Thank you!
  • csmccord
    Options
    The 30/30 rule is no water (or drinking) 30 mins before or after a meal. Drinking with meals can cause the food to be washed through your pouch and cause nutrient mal-absorption.

Yes, and to expand on that idea. It should take you about 30 minutes to eat your meals. You know, once you can eat food again.

About 6 months post op my team told me I could skip the no liquids 30 minutes before meals rule. So my 30/30 rule is 30 minutes to eat, and no liquids during or for 30 minutes after I eat.

The basic idea is twofold. It can take up to 20 minutes for the full feeling to reach your brain. So, if you take 30 minutes to eat, you're more likely to eat less and not get overfull. Being overfull sucks. It can really make you uncomfortable for an hour or so until it passes. The second part is the no liquids during or after a meal. Think of a funnel, narrow opening at the bottom. When you put something solid in it, say, cheerios, they don't go pass through the funnel very quickly on their own. But when you pour some liquids down there, it flushes all those cheerios out of the funnel. This means it flushes out your pouch and allows you to eat more. So, yes you can eat something, then flush all that down and eat more. But that kind of defeats the purpose of getting the surgery.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I got the call today that my insurance approved my surgery and it is scheduled for April 4th :-)

Congrats!
  • knitnpurlgurl
    Options
    Thank you!
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Most important, listen to your surgeons specific instructions. Every surgeon has their own diet plan and own techniques when doing the surgeries. Mine specifically makes a smaller incision at the top of the pouch so I've been warned that I need to stay away more from gulping. Also was instructed that a meal should take at least 20 minutes, to not drink during meals, and not drink for a full hour after meals. So as you see while many things are similar, many things can be different but they can be different due to the way your surgeon specifically does the surgery.